Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #1

Everything TAOTAO Hellcat Raptor

I have searched the Internet far and wide and have found some useful links, info, pictures but there never seems to be what I am looking for specifically. I eventually find what I am looking hidden like a gem in some post or picture.

I bought my Hellcat when I first heard about them in 2017. I got it in the crate delivered to my home and I promptly put it together. I went through all the bolts, screws, connections with a fine tooth comb. When I went to ride it? It ran but never correctly. It's always had what I would call a sporadic throttle response and horrible cruise mode. It surges horribly when the choke is off. It's best running at 1/3 to 1/2 choke on. I know all about that it is running lean and what jets you can use etc. I also know about the "Non-Tamper" carb and how to "Un-Tamper" it.

For one reason or another I just gave up on it, or got so discouraged, or just didn't have time to mess around with it.

Last Weekend out of the Blue I decided after watching video's of everyone fixing up and riding their Hellcats, I decided it was time. I've re-registered the bike and removed all the smog and given it a once over. It still runs like crap!

I have ideas in mind, and parts ordered so there are changes on the way! I will keep you posted! (Yep 89 Miles on it Folks!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hellcat Apart Smog_Small.jpg (82.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Speedo 89_Small.jpg (50.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Hellcat Cover Photo_Small.jpg (94.7 KB, 217 views)

Old 04-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #2

Mixture Screw revealed!

Well I have a new PZ25 Carburetor being delivered here tomorrow or the next day. I had some free time so I decided to try the plug removal on the mixture screw on my current PZ25. It was a little harder that the video I watched from MotoCheez but I got it out.

I had high hopes that without touching the bowl or jets that some magic would happen if I could just adjust the mixture correctly. Well, that's what they were just hopes. No matter what I did it really didn't change the behavior of the old carb that much. It surely didn't make it smoother with the choke off. Still running way to to lean as I can really only run at high speeds with the choke between 1/3 to 1/2. Quite disappointing to be sure.

I did get and install a 16T front sprocket. I am lucky I didn't get the 17T just yet as there was no way it would fit without replacing the chain. Anyway even with the carb a complete disaster and running like crap I was able to get the bike up to 55 for the first time! That was about an 11 MPH increase from my precious top speed.

More parts, tuning, and reports to come. Oh yeah I have to admit I was one the people that had figure this out the hard way. Thanks Hellkitty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
You do know there is an on/off switch for the headlights on the right side handle bar controls right? Most motorcycles made within the last 25 yrs or so do not have a headlight on/off switch....the headlights are always on. The Hellcat does have an on/off switch for some reason. There is also a "driving" lamp in the headlight assembly that is always on, but this is not the headlight. I know two other people that had the same issue as you because they did not realize there is an on/off switch. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hellcat Tamper Set Screw Medium.jpg (67.6 KB, 183 views)
1990 Suzuki GS500E

Old 04-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

New PZ25 Carburetor arrived!

I ordered an exact replacement PZ25 from VMCCHINIESEPARTS.COM and although I was not happy with their shipping policies (2 days after order was placed it was shipped ) everything else was great.

Name:  Carb Box Medium.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  111.3 KB

I got the package in the middle of the day on Monday and I was just itching to try it out but I had to finish work first. While I was working I was able to inspect the carb, (notice the Dykem Blue marks this is a good sign) remove the bowl and look at the Jets. The one thing I was worried about was true. The Main Jet was not stamped (size unknown) and the Jet kit I ordered and was delivered the same day were obviously the wrong thread size = (.

Name:  PZ25 Medium.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  140.3 KBName:  Jet and Bowl Medium.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  134.9 KBName:  Original Jet Medium .jpg
Views: 384
Size:  117.7 KB

From here it’s all Excellent news. Once I was able to put it on the bike without a hitch. Everything fit better! There is more room on the fuel in tube, the choke assembly was just a smidge further away from the Carb which allowed the Air Cleaner to fit perfectly, were before there was clearance issues. After I double checked all of the connections, bolts, etc. I turned the fuel on and the excitement began!

I left the choke completely off, gave the throttle 1 pull and turned the key and hit the starter. It kicked over immediately into a smooth proper idle = ). When I revved the throttle is was like music to my ears. Responsive, smooth, and immediate throttle control and return to smooth stable idle for the first time in 5 years.

Excited with the new throttle behavior I grabbed a helmet and took the Hellcat out for a test ride. Folks I can’t tell you how relieved I was shifting through the gears and maintaining smooth and constant acceleration, stable smooth cruise speed and the entire RPM range was as it should have been from the beginning. The speeds I achieved because of the stable acceleration were 1st 12MPH, 2nd 23MPH, 3rd 37MPH and 4th 53MPH with out adjusting anything. Previously with the garbage Chinese PZ25 Carburetor was 43MPH surging with 1/3 to ½ choke.

I have other parts coming and will update the performance as I put them on in stages as to judge them independently and separately for the difference.
1990 Suzuki GS500E

Old 04-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Low Mount Grom Muffler

So a couple of things came in and I plan on adding them in steps and record the differences in top speed, acceleration and torque.

Name:  New Muffler Hellcat Small.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  79.3 KB

The first of many upgrades was the low mount header and pipe for Honda Grom https://www.ebay.com/itm/333657516537 .

First let me say that if you are expecting a bolt on don’t. The angle of the Clone exhaust port where the header meets the head and is supposed to seal with proper brass crush gaskets is way different. There will be some custom heating and bending of the header to make it fit. Took me about 30 minutes with a butane torch, with a proper acetylene torch maybe 5 minutes. Bending it to more of a 90 degree angle from the horizontal tube is all that is needed. It comes with about an 85 degree angle towards the back from the manufacturer. It will not fit, and 99% of them are made by the same company.

Once this is done then it is time to pre-assemble the entire pipe and exhaust and test fit. You will have to measure and guesstimate where you are going to “drill” a hole by the rear foot peg to attach the Muffler. It comes with all the mounting hardware you need but I added some rubber grommets which I will explain later.

Name:  Muffler Side angle Hellcat Small.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  152.8 KB

After carefully planning out where exactly the mount would fit the best and not torque the other end of the pipe in the head I drilled a hole large enough to reuse the top mounting bolt from the furthest rear stock muffler mount. And test fit one more time before installing the brass crush gaskets and tightening the front of the pipe snug, I then slowly tightened the mounting brackets working my way to the front mounts insuring I had a proper tight fit on the head and the mounting bracket. You can adjust slightly as you go but if you don’t put on the springs like I didn’t make sure the hooks stay lined up. Don’t get a false sense of good fit because once the springs are installed they will self correct. At this point with a pair of vice grips I clamped down the hooks provided and easily slipped the springs on.
After double checking everything was tight, nothing loose or left undone I started the bike. While I will say I was not a fan of the sound at first but it grew on me. I grabbed a helmet and took it for a test ride.

1. I noticed increased torque right away
2. Top speed did increase but not by much 1-2MPH in 4th.
3. The baffle came loose right away. (Stopped and tightened)
4. There was now a pronounced vibration in the bike over 5,000 RPM

Name:  Muffler Side Mount Bolts Small.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  66.5 KB

Installing rubber grommets (see pictures) cured this for the most part.

So there you go step 3 of my Hellcat upgrade. At least 3 more things to come and whether or not it is worth your time.
1990 Suzuki GS500E

Old 04-24-2022, 04:57 AM   #5

Doh! grom to hellcat parts compatibility

does anyone know if the foot peg brackets from a Grom would be compatible with a taotao hellcat? The brackets from the 2015 Grom look basically identical to the ones on the bike already, even the bolt holes.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

Unfortunately I don't have a Grom to measure? They look close. You can always order from a place that excepts returns if they don't fit. I know a lot of things that look exactly the same as the Grom do not fit the Hellcat. It's a crap shoot.
1990 Suzuki GS500E