Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #16

This is the type of jack I currently use, and it worked great on my Lifans, and my Kawasaki cruiser, but for the little cbr, with the fairings, the swing arm stand should work good. The one I have isn't identical, but the same idea.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #17

Thanks again for the links and info.

The price is actually better than I expected, but I think I've been around too many sport bikers who only want "the best"...lol

Personally, I'm considering the stand for it's smaller size. I have a lift similar to the one pictured. It's for bikes or ATV's, so it'll lift any weight I'll need for a bike. I used it on my EX after pulling the lower fairing and it was fine. I can strap the bikes to the lift and wrestle as much as I need....but space is the kicker.

The lift requires more room to use and more room to store. And while it isn't a lot of room, I am working with very little, so it's all precious space to me. The ability to use a rear stand would certainly help me perform some tasks more easily.

I belive I will eventually have a rear stand.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
This is the type of jack I currently use, and it worked great on my Lifans, and my Kawasaki cruiser, but for the little cbr, with the fairings, the swing arm stand should work good. The one I have isn't identical, but the same idea.
Yes, those motorcycle jacks are nice. I considered purchasing one, but the least expensive ones cost $120 (unless they are on sale), and they weight about 91 pounds. I don't have the space to store one of those, but my real objection was the weight. I work on my bike outside, and I just didn't want to lug one of those jacks around. You can buy a lighter one that weighs about 44 pounds, but they cost around $180.

I found a less expensive, lighter alternative at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100349252

I bought the Husky 3-ton jack for $40. It weighs about 40 pounds and takes up much less space than a motorcycle jack. You can also buy a jack adapter plate to convert it into a motorcycle jack.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Type=Accessory

However, I am cheap, so I made my own adapter plate out of a scrap piece of 2"X12" lumber and a 1" flange plate.

I can use this jack on my automobile, ATV and motorcycle. I secure the motorcycle to the 2"X12" with ratchet straps around the footpegs.

However, now that I own my T-Rex swingarm stand, I hardly ever lug the Husky jack out to use on my motorcycle. The T-Rex is much lighter and easier to use, and I don't have to strap anything down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
...The lift requires more room to use and more room to store. And while it isn't a lot of room, I am working with very little, so it's all precious space to me. The ability to use a rear stand would certainly help me perform some tasks more easily...
I agree exactly. That's why I bought the swingarm stand.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #19

I think I paid about $75 Canadian for my jack, and it is used in a large shop with nice smooth concrete floor and storage room for it :wink: But I still would like to pick up one of those swing arm stands one of these days...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #20

i like the stand, i can get a similar stand through pitposse and the dealer cost is lower i also found a even lower price through harbor http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66192 im sure its not the quality but then most here are tight anyhow but i can see where this is a helpful thing i can see one in my near future
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #21

I examined the Harbor Freight swingarm stand yesterday. The T-Rex is much superior in both design and construction.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #22

I thought I'd update this thread and share my thoughts, having just purchased a Front/Rear set of these stands. They arrived yesterday.

I am quite pleased with them so far. I have only used the rear, but both were easy to assemble and look to be of good quality.

As already documented earlier in the thread, the stand is very easy to use. I can use a block of 2x4 under the sidestand to stand the bike up almost straight, and then the stand only has to move it a little to get it straight and lift. I can then move the whole bike around w/ the rear on the stand (be very careful when doing this).

Since the only bike I have at the moment doesn't have a centerstand and has exhaust on the bottom between the wheels, stands such as these were pretty much the only option. And w/ these stands specifically, I got both F/R shipped to my door for about the cost of just one stand from another brand.

My experience with them is limited to this point, but I'm quite pleased. Thanks for the original review and the links. I didn't have to think about this purchase for long. It was an easy decision without regret.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
...Thanks for the original review and the links. I didn't have to think about this purchase for long. It was an easy decision without regret.
You are very welcome.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #24

I bought a center lift type stand at Harbor Freight for 27.00 or something yesterday. it's expressly for motocross type bikes and works extremely well. They had all three types of lifts/stands there, and there was one that would be VERY nice for a shop or someone who has a lot of bikes. For this one bike tho, the cheapo lift I bought is just fine.

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #25

I think the time it would take me to pull the big jack out and set it up, I could have gotten my bike onto a milkcrate already. I use my milkcrate for all sorts of thing. It's the swiss army knife of my garage. Big hydraulic tools and purpose-built tools are nice, but my garage space is too limited to have a tool for every little task.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #26

Oh! I am coming into the thread late, but just wanted to say I have a stand just like Jim's. Excellent stands for getting both wheels off the ground at once but with mine and my Honda Shadow I notice that the bike is quite wobbly on it and just fits. I have never tried tying it down as they recommend though, probably be more stable if I did. I think the swingarm lift would work better for the chain lubing and oil changing that I bought the jack for. However, it is super sweet for working on our Gio quads!

Regards,
Stew