Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2021, 02:42 AM   #1

Was given a ATV and it wont start

Hi. Newby here. I was given a chinese atv, but have no manuals. The VIN plate says "E&Z Trading Pty Ltd Yangkang Dazzle Beyond Industrial and Trading Co Ltd" 20 14 Y10M

The atv will not start. It has a remote. When I turn the key to ON and click the Lightning bolt button on the remote, nothing happens. The battery is showing 6.4V. The main fuse is good. The starter solenoid does not appear to be getting power.
Can anyone help with the start procedure? Do I need to press other buttons? I believe the transmission is in neutral, but the Neutral light does not light up. If I select reverse, that light does function.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #2

The battery isn't enough voltage, it should be a 12v battery. If you throw some pics up, we can have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Last edited by franque; 09-05-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. The ATV had a 6V battery, and after I managed to find an old 12V car battery, I managed to get the starter spinning, even though it only span for a couple of seconds.
I can get the starter to spin using the remote control, but not the switch on the handlebars.
I cannot find any markings on the engine to determine how big it is, but can see 124CM(3) stamped on the block
I also could not detect any spark at the plug. The wiring appears to be in good condition.
I have taken a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (165.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (124.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (168.8 KB, 223 views)

Old 09-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

starting

hello... to find spark... do this... unplug the ignition switch... then jump the solenoid... to crank motor... if you have no spark then.... '
step # 2.. use a test light.. attach it to the POSITIVE POST... and test the BLACK and yellow wire( or white tracer)... at the cdi... the bottom row of 3 wires.. in th e middle... if it lights up... then a kill switch or device is grounding the spark..
step # 3.... remove t he connector plug.. from the connector... using a cotter pin... push the connecting wire out.... re-install connector to cdi
step # 4... crank motor over... you should have spark... if no spark...
step # 5.. check youtube on how to test igniton coil.... where the spark plug wire goes to.. ..
THESE ARE THE USUAL PROBLEMS.. write down your results so you will be able to follow stuff...... people get confused on what they did... usually some thing small over looked

Old 09-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allypally View Post
Hi. Newby here. I was given a chinese atv, but have no manuals. The VIN plate says "E&Z Trading Pty Ltd Yangkang Dazzle Beyond Industrial and Trading Co Ltd" 20 14 Y10M

The atv will not start. It has a remote. When I turn the key to ON and click the Lightning bolt button on the remote, nothing happens. The battery is showing 6.4V. The main fuse is good. The starter solenoid does not appear to be getting power.
Can anyone help with the start procedure? Do I need to press other buttons? I believe the transmission is in neutral, but the Neutral light does not light up. If I select reverse, that light does function.
You need to activate the brake while starting. Most start with just the back one. Some require both.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 09-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
hello... to find spark... do this... unplug the ignition switch... then jump the solenoid... to crank motor... if you have no spark then.... '
step # 2.. use a test light.. attach it to the POSITIVE POST... and test the BLACK and yellow wire( or white tracer)... at the cdi... the bottom row of 3 wires.. in th e middle... if it lights up... then a kill switch or device is grounding the spark..
step # 3.... remove t he connector plug.. from the connector... using a cotter pin... push the connecting wire out.... re-install connector to cdi
step # 4... crank motor over... you should have spark... if no spark...
step # 5.. check youtube on how to test igniton coil.... where the spark plug wire goes to.. ..
THESE ARE THE USUAL PROBLEMS.. write down your results so you will be able to follow stuff...... people get confused on what they did... usually some thing small over looked
Re: Step3. When you refer to the "connector plug" and the "connecting wire" are you referring to the plug to the CDI and the connecting wire being the black/white wire from the kill switch?

Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #7

My brain hurts. Re the above, I tried everything to source the no spark problem and got nowhere.
So, I went and purchased a new loom with all components including a CDI, Coil, Regulator and new stator.
Connected just the stator, cdi and coil to the new loom. No switches. Hooked it to the battery and shorted the solenoid to turn the starter. Result = NO SPARK. Have traced everything I can think of, and cannot find a fault, other than no spark at the plug. Other than setting fire to the ATV, any suggestions?

Old 09-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #8

Bad remote

Old 09-18-2021, 02:52 AM   #9

The remote has been disconnected. The only connections are the Battery, Stator, CDI, Solenoid and Sparkplug Coil.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #10

There is easily 100 things that could be wrong with what you have going on ,and it’s pretty much impossible to troubleshoot it for you from our homes .If you go to Beatrice cycle’s website (dratv) they have a bunch of wiring diagrams ,tips and pointers on chineese pitbike engines and wiring them up to swap into other bikes etc ,you should be able to figure out what you have wiring wise and get your bike going from there .I suspect you might need some switch wiring you have eliminated to control the cdi ,or your coil isn’t grounded ,but without having your bike in front of me to troubleshoot I am throwing darts with my eyes closed .Also ,there is different types of cdi’s used on those engines and they get wired differently so you need to figure out what you have before proceeding .

Old 09-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces
...There is easily 100 things that could be wrong with what you have going on
+1 on what Bruces said above, I went through the same thing, and ended up removing all of the switches and electricals and the harness. I replaced it all with this kit and haven't had any issues since.
Unfortunately, it is out of stock at the present time, but using it did away with the parking brake safety switch, the tether safety switch, the remote, and the alarm. Too many electrical peripherals to try and narrow down the reason it wouldn't start.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:23 AM   #12

As I previously wrote, the only connections I am working with are the Stator to CDI, CDI to Coil. The regulator is not connected, nor are any switches. I have even removed the kill wire from the CDI connector. So I have the bare minimum of a ignition circuit. Yes, I do have a battery connected and earthed to the chassis.
I am getting around 20v AC out of the stator on the red/black, and 0.5v AC on the blue/white (trigger). Same voltages at the CDI connector (input)
I am only getting around 0.5v on the yellow/black out of the CDI to the coil.
I am getting around 0.5v AC at the sparkplug.

Last edited by allypally; 09-19-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

It could be that your CDI or stator are junk, I'd plan on replacing both, but the CDI first, and if that doesn't get it, the stator.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:07 AM   #14

3 CDI's later, and finally got a spark. Who would have thought these CDI's are so faulty just off the shelf.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #15

I've had the same issue. After some research, I figured out that if the valves arent adjusted properly and they're too tight, it'll cause a no start or itll be extremely hard to start. You might want to check that.

I see that no spark was your issue but just a heads up. The valve adjustment had me chasing my tail for a while.