Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider View Post
If I ever make it down to your neck of the woods you can take mine for a blast!
I'll take you up on that! I'd be staying two blocks from that new Target.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #17

I like your Son of Recracer reference.

I figured that if I ever got ahold of a GL1200, I'd mount an external alternator as well. What type did you use? It looks like a Denso.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I like your Son of Recracer reference.

I figured that if I ever got ahold of a GL1200, I'd mount an external alternator as well. What type did you use? It looks like a Denso.
It is denso . I was talking to a friend of mine (lives in florida ) he said he had a little alternator on the circle track race engine sitting in his garage . He boxed it up and sent it, best price free. I really wanted a 3 ribbed belt ,but finding a combo I would be happy with proved difficult .I wanted it overdriven ,the poorboy kit at the time had the same size pulley's engine and alternator . Engine pulley sourced from ebay ,no idea of the application. even overdriven voltage can fall below charging rate below 1100 rpms . Above that it will happily charge above 13 to 14.2 volts.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
120+ MPH couch :-)
Im too chicken to do that speed on 2 wheels...thats why i got a dual sport...LOL i would kill myself on anything faster....LOL i keep the speeding to in my truck, where theres at peast a chance of walkig away from a 120mph crash LOL

Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
It is denso . I was talking to a friend of mine (lives in florida ) he said he had a little alternator on the circle track race engine sitting in his garage . He boxed it up and sent it, best price free. I really wanted a 3 ribbed belt ,but finding a combo I would be happy with proved difficult .I wanted it overdriven ,the poorboy kit at the time had the same size pulley's engine and alternator . Engine pulley sourced from ebay ,no idea of the application. even overdriven voltage can fall below charging rate below 1100 rpms . Above that it will happily charge above 13 to 14.2 volts.
That is my favourite price.

Did you do any math to arrive at the overdriven ratio? Perhaps you could get the alternator to wake up at a lower rpm. At what rpm does the bike idle?

Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #21

I really Did not put any math to it. Those useing the poorboy kit had similar results . It was way back i did this install ,somewhere in the back of my head the crank pulley is just over 2 times the alternator pulley dia. 5-5 1/4 inches . On a car the crank pulley would likely be at least 7 inches . but there are space restaints on the bike ,the bigger the crank pulley the more you would have to move the radiator at the bottom . i am a bit futher out than the poorboy kit . i will have to check again ,i just remembered the factory volt gauge reads low compared to a meter . 1000rpm +-100 specs. I have it set at 1200 . After i check at the battery maybe i can lower it .

Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #22

I checked it is fine at the battery . Interesting thing owner's manual says if the volt gauge drops below 10v check for a problem .

Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #23

What does the alternator put out at 1200 rpm? Do you have to rev the motor to excite the alternator?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
What does the alternator put out at 1200 rpm? Do you have to rev the motor to excite the alternator?
Weld i don't have to rev it up ,charging seems to start right away . But also a cold start ,it may idle at 1800 or 1900 and tapers as it warms up.(love that fuel injection) I am going to put up pictures to show rpm and bike gauge and multimeter charge rates . Seems it charges enough to maintain the battery ,of course these pictures are with all the lights on . The wing does not give you a choice ,all the lights burn when its on or running. I am not super concerned about the idle charge if it dips a bit . I found out over the weekend ,if i am out on a ride with the wing ,i may see 1% idle time 99% rolling. That said , i still may replace everything i can with LED bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 (Copy).jpg (91.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 009 (Copy).jpg (92.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 013 (Copy).jpg (91.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 018 (Copy).jpg (92.0 KB, 80 views)

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #25

Other Features of the limited . The alternator is wired one 8Ga wire straight to a 50amp breaker on the battery . Also the grandchildren .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014 (Copy).jpg (93.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 016 (Copy).jpg (89.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 017 (Copy).jpg (90.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 020 (Copy).jpg (92.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (Copy).jpg (98.6 KB, 67 views)

Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #26

So many cool toys.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #27

It looks like you've got a winner. It definitely doesn't wake up until 1200rpm, but you won't idle much, just as you say.

Beautiful grandkids! I bet they love riding on the 'Wing.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #28

Thumbs Up

I am getting better at the Stopping and getting feet down and a bit more comfortable working with the weight . The more I ride it the better I like It . Well loving it really .

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #29

I am impressed by your bike, and your mechanical abilities, and your thrift.

Heck, ONLY 800 lbs???

Try an 1850cc Six cylinder. With the tank full it's 900. Put Linda and I on it and fill the saddlebags with her beauty supply products for a weekend away and we are up to 1,300 lbs.

Bike is STILL fast!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #30

Hehe

Thats a bit of a load , i can see how you can get there in a hurry . I had not thought about it , but a full tank and just me would be hauling about 1000lbs and haul it will A few pictures from the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130713_201704 (Copy).jpg (95.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20130713_201838 (Copy).jpg (93.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20130713_201752.jpg (97.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20130713_201906 (Copy).jpg (97.6 KB, 48 views)