Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #121

What did learn about spokes? I have been unable to get the correct spokes for my rear wheel on my Hibird. Decided I am just going to take off a couple of spokes and get a new set made for me.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #122

Custom spokes is where I was headed Cal. I found 1 guy in Bangkok selling vintage spokes. 5$ a spoke was too rich for me, I payed $1.25/ea. X 72. I was expecting the darn things today, I don't want to dismantle my good wheels till the new spokes arrive and are checked. Polishing the front drum cover today. Monday is supposed to be warm, so I'll pull the forks and fenders and handlebar out in my cold garage. :wink: I could do all the work in about 2 weeks, but it would still be cold out. If santa sticks $$$$ in my tool box, my bike would have no problem eating that up too.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #123

Are you going to lace them yourself?

Allen

Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #124

I'll take indepth pics and lace them, then take them to the local shop to be trued, re-skinned, and ballenced. I could do it, but they have way better equipment to do the truing. Hopefully, it's a "for the life of the bike" job. the spokes were good enough for the first 37 years.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #125

The lacing is the biggest labor cost if you can get the close to true for the shop.

I did a good enough job on an xr80.

Allen

Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #126

I know I'll try it myself, but not the plan. I'll just loosen everything to give back to the shop. The tires still have to go on the rims again anyways, and I like that they don't damage the rims with the tire machine.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #127

Well what's done looks good so far. The black is just rattle can till next year. As stated on page 1 of this thread, this upgrade was all about the motor. As long as the motor is being done properly, and I don't have to touch it again, I should have the cash to media blast the frame and have the frame professionally painted next year.

On top of doing the motor work, both wheels have been re-newed. New bearings and seals, newish rims, spokes polished and clear coated. Every nut, bolt, and washer on the bike has been polished and waxed. That should only last a year or two assuming proper polishing maintainance is kept. New bolt sets are very expensive but worth every penny.

The plan is to keep puttering, doing what I can till I get the motor back. I should have the motor this weekend or next. I didn't fill up the gallery with pics this time, I'm making a CD of what I've done and what I've used to do it. Each picture is Big. 3-4 megabites, for me, uploading huge pics so that you can zoom in isn't an option for me because of dial-up.

Kato introduced me to a WERA cb350 racer down in the States, he's been a huge help with my build. He's the person who asked for a cd of my upgrade, and I was happy to help. If anyone else wants to pay the shipping, (About 2 dollars) I will send them a copy too. Basically, how to restore a bike with what you have lying around the house, or can get at the local hardware store.

Actually if 1 person with high speed internet gets a cd, that's all you need. It would take me a week to send it over the web.

I think the bike will look about the same in pictures, but the difference in person will be night and day. Once the new motor gets broken in and the new mikuni carbs get the right jets, the real difference will come when I ride it. :wink: