Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
No brand no more details apart from same kit as the RTC but 84mm

I add my bits too it also
I thought I saw somewhere that the RTC kits are made in Taiwan. Can anyone confirm? So the 84 mm kit is 298cc vs 283cc for the 82mm, correct? Wonder what the CR is on the 84mm kit.

Tako, what’s the price on the 84mm kit?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #407

According to a response from CSC the RX4 is stock with 13/44 (3.38) with 2.286 primary and 2.357 1st. RX3 is 14/44 (3.143) with 2.909 primary and 2.583 1st.

Overall drive ratio in 1st for the RX4 is 18.212.
Overall drive ratio in 1st for the RX3 is 23.616.

12t and 13t countershaft sprockets simply do not last on bikes doing lots of distance. 14t is borderline, I prefer at least 15t. 13t is stock on CSC's RX4. That extreme overall ratio for 1st gear on the 450 and no apparent fix is a deal killer.

I have 14/46 sprockets on my RX3 and 1st is still too high, even with a 300 kit. As much as I appreciate all the great things about the RX3, I won't buy another, or any other bike with such poorly chosen ratios with no easy cure.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieUT View Post
I thought I saw somewhere that the RTC kits are made in Taiwan. Can anyone confirm? So the 84 mm kit is 298cc vs 283cc for the 82mm, correct? Wonder what the CR is on the 84mm kit.

Tako, what’s the price on the 84mm kit?
RTC kit 82mm is $250 to the USA
No brand kit 84mm is $350 to the USA
Hard to get and more expensive for the bigger kit and no idea how well it works without remapping the ecu

Old 03-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #409

Most ECUs need work when a product comes out of the box. Never yet had a displacement change cause a problem with an ECU, as long as the system could flow enough air and fuel at WOT. Those, then are mechanical failures, not electronic function failures, so the ECU simply can not do it's job, no matter how hard it tries. Since ECUs do nothing more than adjust air:fuel ratio to changing conditions, the ECU actually self adjusts to the conditions changed by the bore change. Carbs, on the other hand, totally lack such capabilities. That is why we have ECUs and not carbs.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #410

2000 miles since kit install

Just passed 2000 miles on the big bore kit. Running great, no issues so far beyond an occasional backfire when coming off the throttle.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-Lives View Post
Just passed 2000 miles on the big bore kit. Running great, no issues so far beyond an occasional backfire when coming off the throttle.
Mine is about the same - a pop at times on decel and I suspect either a slow O2 sensor or maybe old version injector.
But actually I don't really care too much as it runs fine apart from that minor thing

Old 04-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #412

I have Tako's 82mm kit installed and it is awesome. ECU adapted in about 15 miles of backroad curves and hills. No backfires. No retune needed. ECU has bigger problems when I have to run E10 when no uncontaminated gasoline is available. Mobil and Shell premiums have more octane and little or no ethanol--the ECU loves good fuel and runs much better on the good stuff. More of a difference with fuel quality than changing engine displacement.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #413

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...-chip/zongshen

Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
What's exactly that… an all around enrichment by mangling de intake temperature and O2 sensor? hmmm

Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #415

Mine only pops on decel during warm up. After it hits operating temp, it clears up.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
What's exactly that… an all around enrichment by mangling de intake temperature and O2 sensor? hmmm
What? Everybody doesn't already know all these pops on deceleration are from a lean mixture required by EPA? Really! That's all it is. Harleys are really bad about it. The dealers charge a small fortune to set the EFI where it runs best. Not exactly legal in the U. S. of A., either.

The chip below is really expensive.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
What? Everybody doesn't already know all these pops on deceleration are from a lean mixture required by EPA? Really! That's all it is. Harleys are really bad about it. The dealers charge a small fortune to set the EFI where it runs best. Not exactly legal in the U. S. of A., either.

The chip below is really expensive.
Pop n crackels are lean - I thought a pop was a bit too rich and small backfire.

Mine only here n there does it - I suspect O2 slow to act or the fact I have an older bike with older version injector.
I don't see or feel the need to fix or chase it as it is just minor and I think ECU reset and correct cleaning of stepper area reduces the pop etc.

Not a big concern to me at all

Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #418

Remember only 6000rpm and below does the ECU look at all the sensors and self learn/adj to conditions etc.

Above 6000 rpm it runs from the map and only looks at throttle position and MAYBE air temp (not O2 sensor which is narrow band) but even air temp is a guide nothing too much considered by the ECU from what I understand from the Benelli mechanic in China (Benelli uses same system)

Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
What? Everybody doesn't already know all these pops on deceleration are from a lean mixture required by EPA?
I'm in the process of tunning a universal efi kit I fitted to my RX3 (originally carburated here in Argentina). It's a chinese knock off losely based on the Microsquirt. I learned quite a few things… the one you mentioned being one of them. One (small, really) issue I'm having is that despite this chinese ECU being almost fully programable, it retards ignition on close throttle/coasting wich causes popping and backfires, no matter how much fuel I add or cut on the map for that situation, and that functionallity seems to be hard coded in the firmware and there is no parameter to set it (or disable it). But besides the race car blurb on deccel it Works great, so I've learing to live with it.

Just in case anybody is curious, this is the one I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/micr...786077851.html

Regards,

Juanro

Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
I'm in the process of tunning a universal efi kit I fitted to my RX3 (originally carburated here in Argentina). It's a chinese knock off losely based on the Microsquirt. I learned quite a few things… the one you mentioned being one of them. One (small, really) issue I'm having is that despite this chinese ECU being almost fully programable, it retards ignition on close throttle/coasting wich causes popping and backfires, no matter how much fuel I add or cut on the map for that situation, and that functionallity seems to be hard coded in the firmware and there is no parameter to set it (or disable it). But besides the race car blurb on deccel it Works great, so I've learing to live with it.

Just in case anybody is curious, this is the one I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/micr...786077851.html

Regards,

Juanro
Was looking into some other EFU stuff and ZRojo as some bikes have issues with those.
I am getting to a point where I think most of these kits are not well tuneable but they might self learn, the overall function isn't as great as it all might sound and seems they are fairly unsophisticated and not being as good at possible altitude changes or condition changes.

These kits seem popular for scooters or some street bikes maybe.
Be interesting to hear if the EFI conversion is all you expected it to be or if the costs are worth the change for what you hoped or needed it to do.