Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #1741

Katflap, those are terrific pics. I'm quite impressed by the build quality of this bike, and I covet it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Unreal $ for hp IMHOThe underseat layout is VERY unusually well thought out and done, IMHO, even vs Jap and other quality motorcycles, IMHO.
Easy to find and identify all parts (for ease of owner maintainance and servicing.) This is really starting to make me think this IS the "breakthrough" bike from China! Though Spud, and others probably think they already have them (the 200's! This bike, is currect, even cutting edge in some areas, and user friendly for mods also, unlike some other bikes.
If we get the fueling (EJK) or similar, I am pretty sure I'm going to turbo mine. Probably start with 5-6 lbs boost, no ICooler etc. Then go from there. The MPFab Yamaha Wr250 kit has proven VERY durable, and extremely powerfull, as well, on those motorcycles. The weight addition is minimal as a % of total weight, but doubling almost the tq and HP while improving fuel economy (if not boosting, of course) REALLY appeals to me. The improved atomization and air fuel mixing yields the better economy. I'm on a forum where quite a few members and 1st gen Insight owners turboed their cars, with very good results. The fuel additions were done without ANY ecu tuning, and vary from crude to non effictive, IMHO, but so far proven very reliable. The Only failure was a holed piston after over 250,000 miles (right, 1/4 million miles), and only had an additional injector that fired under boost (maybe not always, after those miles, causing lean failure)?
ANyway, I got no issue with a piston every 100,000 miles or so, and I will tune mine thoroughly, also. The Insight has not got squirters, which would most likely pulled enough heat from the piston to keep it from melting, IMHO.

MPFab does the Wrr kit. I will attempt a group buy when I get ready to do the install, and document it on here as well. Anyone interested?
Link to MPFab kit is here (for Wrr250).

http://www.mpfab.com/product/mpfab-s...amaha-wr250xr/ Cost, all up, is $2050.00, now.
Unreal cost to hp ratio..best of anything, IMHO. ALso reliable if done as recommended. A big bore kit will possibly throw off engine balancer, and has to be tuned as well, costing the same or more, for less gains, probably.
Just my 2cents...
Boost always gets my attention, but something makes me want to leave a bike like this alone. I'd be all over boosting one if I bought two.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #1743

Katflap,

If you have time, and are so inclined, I would love to know the dimensions of the counter shaft (C/S) sprocket.

You can loosen the locking tab by tapping it lightly with a hammer and chisel/screwdriver. Just widen the tab enough to loosen the bolt. You might also need to loosen the rear axle to get enough slack in the drive chain to remove the C/S sprocket.

If you have access to a caliper, or a machinist, you can obtain the following dimension of the C/S sprocket.

After you measure the C/S sprocket, you can re-install it on the counter shaft, and tighten the bolt. Then you can crimp the locking tab back in place with a pair of pliers. The locking washer has two tabs, and I'm sure you can re-use both of them several times.

Now is an excellent time for me to do some research, and determine a compatible C/S sprocket for the RX3. Once we find an identical C/S sprocket from a major manufacturer, we will have a larger variety of vendors and sprocket sizes from which to choose. Therefore, if you have the time and the inclination, I would truly love to know the dimensions of that C/S sprocket.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #1744
Banned

Wow, Thanks everyone , & please, keep that good info coming:)!

Kat, and Spud, Thanks for answering my Q re seat removal and associated Q's.
Weld, I understand completely. I wanted a boosted M/C since the factory ones came out in the early 80's, BUT Don't want/need 100+mph 1st gear capability for street riding!! hehe CRAZY! IMHO!

40-50 whp in a 300-350 lbs bike seems PERFECT for adv riding! Also, doesn't wear or affect bike 99% of my time riding, as if not in boost, wear and every other one of the bikes capabilities are not affected.except a mild boost in MPG due to swirl being better as well as atomization improvedat cruise. A little less drag since at low throttle plate opening, is still SOME boost so piston doesn' drag as much at small throttle opening(s).

AT approx $2000.00, (it hopefully stays about at wr250 r kit pricing) best hp per $ spent, BY FAR!. (besides opening it up at airbox and exhaust,. etc.) There isn't any guaranteed pricing on a kit, yet, however. If he does a group buy, and or decides to sell kits, then I'd bet its the same $ or VERY close, to the wr250 kit he's sold since 2008 or 2009! He sold quite a few, though, and if it wasn't reliable, or was grenading engines, we'd be hearing about it, LOUD and clear! for sure!

After I put 20,000 + miles on mine with the turbo installed, (hopefully also, without any major issues) it definitely will silence SOME of the naysayers. (some just like to hear or see themselves, apparently. Logic and or truth isn't a part of the equation, for them, unfortunately!! hehe

Highest miles on a wr250 turbo is or rather was 48,000+ without a rebuild or any major issues. I'd be happy with that mileage on a rebuild, I think, with or wthout being turboed! What, maybe rings, a hone and or replate cylinder (is it lined or nikasil type liner)? anyone?, gasket set, prolly do the clutch plates when its apart. Inspect and mic the crankshaft bearings etc.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #1745
Banned

OOPS, again

$250.00? unless Nikasil needs a replate. I have yet to dissassemble a nikasil engine, so not sure about its lifespan and or expected lifetime.
I've heard of 250,000 miles and still spec'iing good, but haven't SEEN any thing myself.
One thing, though, thats good. Like the bikes purchase pricing, parts SHOULD be approx the same as compared to other bikes parts pricing! Really great! Maybe 1/2 as much!
AGain, the piston squirters should eleminate wear or at least minimize it, and the Yamaha, DRZ' etc all last at least 90,000+ before needing a rebuild. From reports on ADV forum, the bikes usually are running perfectly, just from curiosity and to prepare for a long cross country, or epic length ride, insuring reliability when on the trip. Gaskets and ring packs are the only items being replaced.
One KTM rebuild needed crank bearings replaced at 120,000+ miles I read. Nikasil was good, piston reused, just rings, gaskets, and seal sand seats in head were done, as well as setting valve gap to new specs with proper shims. (we avoid shimming, of course, with our screw type adjusters!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #1746

zongshen rx3 accessories

i was looking at the accessories listed on the csc blog,,,wow maybe im missing something ,,,,but $350 for a set of cree l.e.d, driving lights,,, hope thats not a sign of how the parts we need are going to be priced . ,,,i think these would work just fine,,i already placed an order ,http://www.ebay.com/itm/151434883274

Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #1747

Katflap,

The tray which holds the air filter element is held by four bolts. You must remove the bolts and slide the tray out under the frame in front of the regulator/rectifier.

The air filter tray is blocked by the the two side covers on the left side of the bike. The front, black side cover, and the rear, colored side cover must be removed before you can remove the foam air filter. Your Honley has the older version of the colored side cover, which is pierced by a support for the luggage rack. Therefore, you must remove the bolt for that support before you can remove the entire, colored side cover.

Zongshen modified the colored side cover, and split it into two pieces. You can purchase this modified side cover at Taobao.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...ucket=6#detail

When the modified side cover is installed, you don't need to remove the bolt for the luggage rack, because you don't need to remove the entire, colored side cover. You merely remove the front portion of the side cover to gain access to the air filter tray.

The RX3 bikes imported by CSC to North America are being delivered with the improved, split side cover.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 02-07-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #1748

I like the way Zongshen continues to refine this motorcycle. Here are two photographs of the new headlight.

The bikes imported by CSC have the old headlight, but one can always replace it later, if he pleases.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #1749

The dirt bikes with the NC250 engine come with a folding shift lever. Here is the stock shift lever for the RX3.

Here is the folding shift lever.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 02-07-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I like the way Zongshen continues to refine this motorcycle. Here are two photographs of the new headlight.

I think that's a Decepticon.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #1751

Quote:
The dirt bikes with the NC250 engine come with a folding shift lever; I like it. Here is the stock shift lever for the RX3.

Here is the folding shift lever.

Excellent upgrade. I install one on every off-road bike I buy.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #1752
Banned

Folding shifter

How to order from Taobao? I don't understand it nor know how to convert to US currency to know pricing. (I KNOW there is ann easy answer here, but I missed it somehow... I wish someone would do a Group Buy on these, I'd be in for sure! Pay in advance, even. If they have a rear brake lever, I'm in on that as well.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #1753

Quote:
I like the way Zongshen continues to refine this motorcycle.

The bikes imported by CSC have the old headlight, but one can always replace it later, if he pleases.
The writeup on the gold RX3 says it's an LED headlight. The 'old' design has LED strips on the side. Is this a true LED projector?

It also says 'adjustable front shock' ... is that an upgraded design too? I understood the CSC Cyclone forks were not adjustable, but could be wrong.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #1754

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
The writeup on the gold RX3 says it's an LED headlight. The 'old' design has LED strips on the side. Is this a true LED projector?

It also says 'adjustable front shock' ... is that an upgraded design too? I understood the CSC Cyclone forks were not adjustable, but could be wrong.
Good for you; you are very observant. I didn't read the 'Chinglish' until after your posted your questions.

Indeed, it does appear Zongshen has added rebound damping adjustment to the fork caps. Notice the adjusting screw on the fork cap at the lower right corner of the photograph.

The headlight has also been modified to add at least one more LED. Here is a photograph of the stock headlight.

I'm not exactly sure of the construction of this headlight. Apparently it has an LED strip on each side of the headlight. I believe the blue oval at the bottom is basically cosmetic, and serves as a running light. I don't know if the blue oval contains an LED, or an incandescent bulb. The main light is an HS1 incandescent bulb.

The new headlight is described as an LED upgraded version of the headlight. The new headlight contains at least one more LED bulb in the main body of the headlight. I'm guessing it has 2 LEDs, and has removed the HS1 incandescent bulb.

Both headlights are sold on Taobao at the following link. The stock headlight costs 138 Chinese Yuan. The new, modified headlight costs 438 Chinese Yuan.

I haven't yet seen the improved forks for sale, but I am sure they will soon appear on Taobao.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 09-19-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
How to order from Taobao? I don't understand it nor know how to convert to US currency to know pricing. (I KNOW there is ann easy answer here, but I missed it somehow... I wish someone would do a Group Buy on these, I'd be in for sure! Pay in advance, even. If they have a rear brake lever, I'm in on that as well.
If you search the Dual Sport Forum for 'Taobao,' you will find several threads on this topic. I do suggest you employ a Taobao agent to help you with your purchases. Sometime this coming week I will post a new thread containing step-by-step instructions for ordering items at Taobao.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220