Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #1

Loncin/Jialing/Tomoto or whatver it is...continued....

This weekend I determined the two remaining wires from the engine harness were the charging wires. I neatly, but temporarily hooked them up.

Then I cleaned out the carburetor. The previous owner had some kind of sealer all over the float bowl gasket which gave me concern so I carefully cleaned up that mess along with soaking and cleaning out the jets.

After installing the carburetor I hung a fuel I.V. and hooked up the jump pack. At first it wouldn't start. I checked for spark and determined there was no spark, then I realized I had the kill switch on. Then I tried again and she started but ran rough. I made a few adjustments to the carburetor and finally got her to idle, albeit a little rough.

I figured it might be a little bit due to having no exhaust installed so I installed the old exhaust system only to have one of the flange studs strip out.

I gave it another start anyway and it fired right up. It sounded a little better and much quieter, even with the exhaust leak.

I'll have to tap and install a slightly larger exhaust flange stud - I'm thinking 10mm??

My goal this weekend was to take the engine a step further to determine if the engine was good. I believe the engine is probably okay. I've already purchased a new clutch and brake lever, battery, rear tail light and license plate assembly, front and rear master cylinders and a few other things.

BTW, I counted the number of teeth on the sprockets. Looks like I have a 17/54 combo. That seems odd to me considering most modern Chinese dual sports come a with 40 something rear sprocket. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Pretty soon I'll be stripping the bike down to paint the frame and begin servicing all the neglected areas.

So far I'm into this bike about $430.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #2

Multi-Year Project Update

Last fall I had purchased 3 or 4 clutch cables on Amazon and none of the dimensions they listed were correct. So I left the project in frustration and the Jialing has sat untouched for about 6 months.

For our 35th wedding anniversary I bought my wife a 2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350, Bronze and Chrome edition, from a local dealer. Out the door including tax, title and license it came to $5800. We got a great deal!

So the old 2007 Jialing project bike has to get finished or I won't have anything to ride!

By the way, her Classic 350 is awesome!

After reading others on here having clutch cable issues I think I will attempt a clutch cable from a Honda XR200 next.

I know the engine runs good but want to be sure it will power the bike through the gears before I disassemble it and do paint, custom seat etc.

Since the Jialing is now mine and not hers I'll probably make it into a kind of scrambler/trail bike. Since I'm vertically challenged (5' 7") I'd like to find a 19" front rim and maybe a 17" rear rim. If not I'll stay with the 21/18 combo for now.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #3

You may be able to drop the seat height by drilling a new hole(s) through the lower rear shock mount. Check out the two positions offered on this KTM replacement shock.
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31860

If your lower shock mount is similar, you can drill new holes to get the swingarm closer to the seat. A half inch shorter will yield 1" or more lower at the end of the swingarm. I am no geometry major, but it is a triangle. Maybe I can figure out the math with the help of my math genius son

The other option (or use both!) is to make two doglegs that are longer to connect the linkage to the lower shock mount. This is a viable option, but for me, not so easy because the two doglegs are welded to a cylinder. It is a "unit". I would have to fabricate a new one.

On the new lower shock mounting holes, they must be no larger than the pin diameter of the bolt that goes through the original mounting holes, or the pin will move every time you hit a bump, or get air. A bushing could be used to fix that, but drilling the right sized holes is a better plan (and they have to be parallel, so I will use a drill press when I finally get around to it.