Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #1

To pod filter or not pod filter... (XF250)

I'm thinking about deleting my air box on my SSR XF250. I know I'll have to re-jet but it'll get rid of my sealing issues I'm having with my airbox to carburetor tube and hopefully my hesitation that I'm having too.

And I want a full exhaust in the future too so the added air flow would be nice...

It'll be easier to work on too... I don't ride in the dirt a lot and try to avoid heavy rain. Plus I would go for a Uni dual layer foam filter anyway to help with dust.

Give me arguments for and against this guys. I'm stuck on whether or not I want to do this.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #2

Do it. Argument over. I have a pod on my Hawk, and I couldn't imagine going back to an airbox setup. I do a decent amount of off roading in the Arizona dust, and I haven't had a single problem with the pod filter. Much easier to access, and the carb can usually come off with the filter still attached. The only thing to be aware of is that an airbox setup supports the carb on both sides. If you go to a pod, you're adding weight out on the inlet end of the carb with nothing to support it but the connection between the carb and intake side of the engine. I don't think there have been any issues with that, at least not that I'm aware of, but just something to keep in mind when you're selecting a pod. The heavier it is, the more cantilevered weight you'll have hanging out there.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

What filter do you use Emerikol?

I keep finding during my research that people say to keep the air box due to possible issues with tuning but it seems like people here who are out to squeeze as much performance as possible are ditching the air box... This is what is holding me back. I'm kinda leaning towards deleting now though...

Old 07-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #4

My only issue with the Pod filters is that sometimes they allow more air than you may actually want.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

Here's the link to the one I got. You'll need to drill a hole and put a barb fitting in it for the crankcase vent line. It's not a problem to do at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

Emerikol, do you have a pick or more of an explanation on the barb, Im sure it will be obvious once do the job but I am a nervous Nelly and like to see what has happened so I dont screw it up!!!
Toys include Audi B7, running Stage 2+, S4 Brakes. My VW Vanagon is running 2.5l VVT Subaru engine, 18" AMG wheels, Porsche 944 Steering Wheel, W eekender interior. 1989 VW Vanagon Bluestar one of 2500, 1986 Honda Shadow, 2000 Suzuki Intruder, 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1976 Mercury Capri II, a bunch of Trailers including a shortened Vanagon for camping, a Sequoia and the latest addition a 2019 Hawk 250. (But dont tell the wife! ) (Latest latest addition a 1995 fwd Subaru SVX)

Old 07-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

You might want to take a look at the UNI style foam filters as well , the better ones have a 2 stage foam and you can run a rain sock over them as well that will also help filtration a tiny bit but they are great at repelling water to a degree, i run a rain sock on my Sportster here in FLA where we get caught in monsoon like deluges pretty regular in the summer and it has never drowned out on me yet , and they dont cost a lot :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...MAAOSwtMNe3ZCm
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 07-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
You might want to take a look at the UNI style foam filters as well , the better ones have a 2 stage foam and you can run a rain sock over them as well that will also help filtration a tiny bit but they are great at repelling water to a degree, i run a rain sock on my Sportster here in FLA where we get caught in monsoon like deluges pretty regular in the summer and it has never drowned out on me yet , and they dont cost a lot :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...MAAOSwtMNe3ZCm
I was looking for something like that for a Uni filter. Thanks for the link!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Hehe

On somewhat of a whim after going through the rotting of my bikini (wtf auto correct? ) Tuning of my Mikuni vm26 clone carb I bought this pod but it is not here yet.... not sure how much air it will allow....

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #10

Those eBay/Amazon K&N style filters flow good but let in too much dust. I put one of those on my dad's moped and there's dust inside the carb. I'm gonna get a dual layer foam filter for my bike and his moped as that seems like it'll work much better at filtering dust.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #11

Ah, the pod filter debate. He aware that your bike and Emerikol's are different. You have a CV carb. Do some research before you install a pod filter. CV carbs don't react well to pod filters without extensive trial and error with jets. Your bike was basically designed by Suzuki and their engineers knew what they were doing when they decided to go with an air box with this type of carb.

As I said, do some research and you'll find your best options are larger jets, larger carb, or conversion.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

I know all of that. I've done my research. I'm on the fence about it. I know there will likely be compromises.

But my air box intake tube doesn't seal the best to the carb. This is the main reason why I want to ditch the air box.

I tried heating it up with a heat gun and it seemed to help a little. I haven't rode my bike much after fixing it (broken throttle tube, got it fixed on Monday been only riding for a couple of days since then) but it seems better. The next week or so of riding may decide whether or not I keep the air box or ditch it.