Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss America View Post
Sorry I've been MIA. Working WAY too much and after staring at computers all day I haven't wanted to log onto anything after work.

I just posted up over on ADV as well, but I was just informed that my vacation plan has changed at work and *might* be changing again shortly. We just got acquired and it seems our HR can't seem to make a logical decision on PTO. My options, as of right now, are ship the bike or do the ride and not get paid. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how a full-time worker should have to make this decision. :-\

Anywho... if I get good news about the vacation then I'm definitely in for the ride and can be flexible with my schedule. Otherwise I have a big decision to make.
Good luck with HR. I hope this works out for everyone. I'm only a year out from retire mn and I have half a mind to just say the heck with it and take the entire month off.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #17
Banned

Hell yes:)!

culcune,
That sounds great! The timing /mileage will be needing to check the bikes out/up and do the screw tightening, top off fluids, chain adjustment/oiling, etc. and a friendly garage/yard and or driveway with a fellow adv reide is an ideal situation for the group! Thanks for the offer of help, also!

We'll get by with a little help from our FRIENDS (and fellow ADV riders!!hehe

These "stops" will be a KEY to maximizing the enjoyment of the trip, IMHO. It will destress anyone worried about any quality issues, as by checking these motorcycles as a group, any recuring issues will be obvious and can be referred back with CSC and within our group using ALL of our experiences for the BEST solution(s) to any issue(s).

I think daily ride and picture "reporting" will be a GREAT idea! I can try to help do some writing (as time will allow), but Mark (and or others! need to be the photographers! for sure. I'm definitely NOT a photographer, unfortunately, but do love to share in adventure rides by reading the reports and checking the pictures out as well!

With a successfull completion of this trip, we will establish another route to come back West for the next adventure ride CSC does, to Baha next year or ?wherever STeve and Company decides is best! Maybe you guys can come Visit us East coasters and see (and enjoy) some of our great rides!

Tail of the Dragon and the area around Boone NC to Ashville, is AWESOME riding, ALL of it, really. It would be SUPER Easy to set up a ride using the Blue Ridge parkway and other beautiful and amazing roads/rides from Alabama, through North GA foothills and roads, through North and South Carolina and West Va, also!

When is miserable hot and humid in July/August, those elevations and mountains offer the 4000-5500 foot coolness, especially at night!To be able to enjoy those 60's temps with the lower humidity is amazing camping weather..plus, if Moteling it, prices are VERY cheap as its "off season" in end of AUgust (after Labor day and school restarts) and September as well.. PERFECT weather IMHO then...

Keep those suggestions and ideas coming riders and spectators! We will try and accomodate as many/much as we can... Thanks for the offers to help as well!

Old 01-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #18
Banned

Its definitely CCCOLD in Ks! Especially this week!

Just returned fro Ft Riley (where my son, Ashton, is stationed (Army), and wow! it was UNREAL cold there, especially for a Bama boy! hehe
katoranger we would enjoy your company as far as your route allows coming home...It will be warmer for you also a bit more south!

I'll post up the initial waaay too early route possibility or a link to a google map if I can't do anything else...hopefully, Mark, Miss AMerica, and the other riders can chime in (you too!) with places to see and go, and interesting things to see and do on the way back East!

Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
Banned

ALternate site, with more info, for this interested and watching or riding with us:)!

Good site! and some pretty solid help and advice for our ride home.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...html#postreply

Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #20

Just want to share my thoughts in the type of ride I envision. I only have 7 days to pull this off. The first day will be simply be getting to Ca. Keeping 1 day in reserve that leaves me 5 traveling days. It's a 2300 mile trip so I'm going to have to plan on at least 460 mile days. That means at least 9 hours of saddle time per day. This trip is going to be a grind with little time for off-road or sightseeing. I also do little planning because there may be days God willing that I may churn out 600 or 700 miles though higly unlikely on a 250cc. New Mexico and Texas can both be real bears with high crosswinds. I've travelled from the four corners to Georgia and back I don't know how many times and have learned to dread crossing the Great Plains. Will it be an adventure? Will I learn the capabilities of the RX3? Yes to both. Will it be fun? At times yes but others no. One will have to "endeavor to persevere" and in doing so will accomplish a deep sense of satisfaction. I think my trip will be much like running a marathon. Just my 2 cents worth.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Last edited by Wolftrax; 01-11-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add

Old 01-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for checking in, Miss America. We understand your situation, and we hope things work out well for you.
Thanks Spud!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Good luck with HR. I hope this works out for everyone. I'm only a year out from retire mn and I have half a mind to just say the heck with it and take the entire month off.
Yep, that sounds pretty tempting Wolftrax! That would definitely free up much more time to enjoy the ride! If I can make this ride work out, then I will probably be 'riding by the seat of my pants' for the most part as it'll probably be super last minute and won't leave much time for planning, unless I have the flexibility to jump into a ride that's already planned.

I will keep y'all updated on what's going on and will stay current on this thread in case I can do the group ride.
'02 Yamaha YZF 600 - dirty
'15 CSC RX-3 Cyclone - orange

Old 01-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss America View Post
Thanks Spud!!

Yep, that sounds pretty tempting Wolftrax! That would definitely free up much more time to enjoy the ride! If I can make this ride work out, then I will probably be 'riding by the seat of my pants' for the most part as it'll probably be super last minute and won't leave much time for planning, unless I have the flexibility to jump into a ride that's already planned.

I will keep y'all updated on what's going on and will stay current on this thread in case I can do the group ride.
I actually prefer to ride by the seat of my pants. All I need is a tent, sleeping bag, my thermarest and a pocket full of cash and I'm good to go!

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #23
Banned

Great, just what is needed for me to know what is wanted needed:).

course, it seems that there are two opposite views re this rides time and way to do it.
I was thinking a week riding, more or less, not including the flight out and a day to assemble and test the bike, as well as change the seat, add some storage (aforementioned tank and loop bags), pack the bike and hopefully get at least 50-100 miles on it, to see what needs immediate attention (if anything), and get the initial stretch out of the chain.
Mark, I agree re the plains, There is a REASON that there are no trees that grow there, or the few that do, are tilted away from the wind direction (REALLY)! hehe
That area also does fine riding the long days since there really isn't anything to see or do really there, and making miles to a more hospital place does make sense in that situation (to me). However, I wouldn't mind (actually would really enjoy and appreciate seeing the Havasu Lake area, and meeting up with some owners along the way back to ride, or just discuss bikes and whatever comes to mind, along with a beer or 3.
There are some great deals in border towns as well re hotels and food, also, as well as fun stuff to do.

So I guess I'm kinda in the middle here. Also doesn't seem viable to try to get any camp space or rooms eithout a schedule, and as everone experienced in mc and other cross country travel knows, ymmv daily, for many reasons.

I think I'll leave this up for now, and see who is interested in what type of ride...maybe be 2 or even 3 groups of riders based on time to do trip etc.
Thanks for your input everyone, and GL with your ride and planning.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #24

My trees go straight up.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #25
Banned

Really, Kato!

Many places didn't even have trees it seems , that I drove through
What area of KS are you in?
In Ft Riley, where my Son is stationed, the trees were growing on base and I'm guessing where they are watered, but in the areas before and after town (along the highway) there were very few trees, and they seemed to have the foliage growing mostly on the Southeast side as if fighting a North westerly wind a lot. Once I got closer to KS City, it seemed to get back to trees and more normal looking (for a Bama boy landscape. Its a great area to fly in and over though..plenty of places to land if needed! GREAT gas prices also! It was 189 in Junction City (next to Ft Riley), and cheaper on base. Thats about 20-25 cents a gallon cheaper than here!

Are you riding back or undecided yet?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #26

I am not buying an RX3, just along for the digital ride. My house is in SE Kansas along the Oklahoma border. Close to route 66. I know what you are talking about with the trees. We get a mostly South wind and they will tend to lean North. My yard has a lot of large trees that can withstand the wind together more like the South.

Today the gas was a $1.79. $2.69 for diesel. In neighboring Missouri is was $1.69. Oklahoma tends to be even cheaper.

If you do find your way this far North I have a large yard for tents.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #27
Banned

Kato,

Hey, THANKS for the offer of hospitality! I MAY be in the neighborhood, if not on the return ride from Cali, then maybe when I go see my son In April or May...Might be fun to go the shorter less miles (by about 100 miles) through Memphis, TN, and Arkansas, then Southeast KS up to Ft Riley/Manhattan/Junction City areas. That would work out very well for an overnight, especially since I'd be able to shower etc the next day when I got to my sons place. It looks like about 150-225 miles approx on my map to Ft Riley from your area. I saw the name of your town in one post, but can't find it now that I was going to mapquest it to see about coming through your area on the way to my sons next trip....

Old 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #28
Banned

Thats GREAT news re gas pricing as well

Sure wish gas was that cheap here! Is it because of taxes being less or your close proximity to Bakken oil fields and less shipping costs?

Still, I'm not complaining too much, as last year, well even 6 months ago, gas was close to 4.00 a gallon, between 3.45 and 3.75-3.80 per gallon! ouch!
I bought a Honda Insight hybrid for the mpg and am still amazed at its efficiency. at 60-65mph I routinely get 60-65 mpg (checked dividing miles by gallons used)! AT 80+ it dropped to approx 45mpg, and 43.5 in KS at 85 into the headwind going out to Ft Riley from KS City! Still, the 950+ mile trip only cost $48.00 to get there, and 43 back tailwinds made a BIG difference..That was the cold front that cam in on the 3rd of Jan pushed me all the way home, just about! hehe

It should be nice weather in April and May, correct? Thats when I plan to come visit my son again, and will be passing through your area...hopefully...

Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #29
Banned

Found it, Kato

185 miles from ALtamont to Ft Riley, a nice days ride, Kato.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #30

April and May we are usually warm. Most likely will be mowing grass and planting garden then.