Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadbike26 View Post
My DF shuts down once taken off choke, just dies.

I will have to take it to a mechanic for my inspection, so will have them check it out.

What tire PSI you guys riding front and rear?
What did your mechanic say about your DF dying when taken off choke?

Old 09-16-2023, 05:16 AM   #707

Choke…

I never went to the mechanic. I decide on doing my own initial service. I did the oil change and adjusted chain. Still not sure about the choke but the bike runs and starts on first try. I have nearly 500 miles and it seems to run fine. Still don’t know why it dies on either full choke or no choke. Eventually I’ll have to get the bike serviced professionally and have them take a look and will post the result.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
What did your mechanic say about your DF dying when taken off choke?
I just went for a ride, and took a look at the choke before heading out. The bike starts easily with the lever pushed all the way down ( I assume this is normal “Run” position ie choke off) and engine is fine when the choke lever is pushed up one notch (I think this is half choke), however once the lever is pushed all the way up, the engine just dies almost instantly.

So I guess the bike doesn’t like full choke. What does that say about how lean or rich the engine is running??? And does it impact performance or the engine’s overall health?

Old 09-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #709

I almost never need to use the choke (lever all the way down is choke off) to start the bike however I live in the mountains in the summer and live in South West Florida in the winter.
My buddy Hunting Boy put some Indian stickers on my bike so that is ok since he is a Cherokee Indian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023-08-19-13-28-45-683 (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	30074  

Old 09-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #710

Quote:
I almost never need to use the choke (lever all the way down is choke off) to start the bike however I live in the mountains in the summer and live in South West Florida in the winter.
My buddy Hunting Boy put some Indian stickers on my bike so that is ok since he is a Cherokee Indian.
Seems like my bike is fine then. I never get bored of seeing pics of these bikes.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:07 AM   #711

Quote:
Took a ride out to Sanibel Island to check up on a fence I put up to keep out the idiots that were making big holes in our now lot. Seems to be working, knock on wood.
Kinda odd but the speedometer is only off 2 MPH at 60 MPH according to my speedometer app on my cell phone which indicated 58 MPH. At lower speeds the speedometer is off by 10% or more.
Anyway I am very happy with the performance of the stock bike. After I break her in I will run her up to top speed,
I found my speedo is also off by about 10% at about 30 mph and maybe even worse when in the +40mph range, but then for some reason above that speed my speedometer is more accurate. I found this out yesterday, now that I’ve done more than Han 500 miles, and did the initial service, I rode purposefully rode by one of those digital speed checks and at around 55 mph I expected the speedometer to read 48-50 mph, but it was actually pretty accurate, off by maybe 1-2 mph.

So seems at lower speeds it’s off but then above 55mph appears to be more accurate.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:19 AM   #712

Quote:
I have changed the rear sprocket to a lower tooth count or the front to more teeth on almost all my bikes in the past with satisfactory results. The DF250RTG seems to like the less teeth rear sprocket just fine.
Considering doing the same modification and reduce the rear sprocket in order to get better top end cruising speed.

Can anyone comment on what the new top speed is with their set up and what the new comfortable highest cruising speed.

For example I can’t imagine holding 70 mph for long at all. As it is right now on my bike 45 mph in 5th gear is comfortable, but at 55+mph it sounds like it’s working too hard, screaming and shaking.

I don’t really feel comfortable holding those high revs for long.

I should mention that my bike is relatively new, with only 500 miles of easy lower RPM riding during these 500 break in miles. I have noticed though that with every 100 miles or so that the bike seems to open up more and more, so maybe it will feel better at higher speeds in time with more miles???

Is it worth modifying the rear sprocket? What’s the new long term cruising high speed without pushing the RPMs?

Old 09-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #713

Quote:
Considering doing the same modification and reduce the rear sprocket in order to get better top end cruising speed.

Can anyone comment on what the new top speed is with their set up and what the new comfortable highest cruising speed.

For example I can’t imagine holding 70 mph for long at all. As it is right now on my bike 45 mph in 5th gear is comfortable, but at 55+mph it sounds like it’s working too hard, screaming and shaking.

I don’t really feel comfortable holding those high revs for long.

I should mention that my bike is relatively new, with only 500 miles of easy lower RPM riding during these 500 break in miles. I have noticed though that with every 100 miles or so that the bike seems to open up more and more, so maybe it will feel better at higher speeds in time with more miles???

Is it worth modifying the rear sprocket? What’s the new long term cruising high speed without pushing the RPMs?
I reduced the number of teeth on the rear sprocket on my first DF years ago but don't remember the advantage. So far I am leaving my new DF completely stock. She is running just fine.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:01 PM   #714

Quote:
I found my speedo is also off by about 10% at about 30 mph and maybe even worse when in the +40mph range, but then for some reason above that speed my speedometer is more accurate. I found this out yesterday, now that I’ve done more than Han 500 miles, and did the initial service, I rode purposefully rode by one of those digital speed checks and at around 55 mph I expected the speedometer to read 48-50 mph, but it was actually pretty accurate, off by maybe 1-2 mph.

So seems at lower speeds it’s off but then above 55mph appears to be more accurate.
That speedometer percentage being off high at lower speeds and about accurate at higher speeds is weird. Never had that on any of the many motorcycles I have owned over the years. I am going to run another test and report back with the findings.
She is running just great and I am keeping her unmodified.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:26 PM   #715

Need a rear rack for my DF so I can mount a top box. I can't find one anywhere so I guess I will try and make one.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:59 AM   #716

What grade gas is everyone running? Should I just be using regular? I’ve been running premium.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #717

Quote:
That speedometer percentage being off high at lower speeds and about accurate at higher speeds is weird. Never had that on any of the many motorcycles I have owned over the years. I am going to run another test and report back with the findings.
She is running just great and I am keeping her unmodified.
What did you find from the test? Any interesting results?

Old 10-05-2023, 08:24 AM   #718

Quote:
What grade gas is everyone running? Should I just be using regular? I’ve been running premium. ������
Honestly -- it'll probably run better and get better mileage with regular. Higher-octane merely delays ignition until later in the compression stroke eliminating knocking in high-compression engines. In the case of these engines, that's not as efficient. Lower-octane fuels are what they call for... AND cheaper.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:31 PM   #719

Quote:
What did you find from the test? Any interesting results?
Never got around to running a test.Sold my Ural and bought a 2019 Ryker 600 so I am busy playing with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023-10-06-18-24-47-364.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	30184  

Old 10-12-2023, 10:50 PM   #720

Quote:
What grade gas is everyone running? Should I just be using regular? I’ve been running premium. ������
I run regular gasoline in my DF and she is running just fine. She does not have a high compression engine.