Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #1

Relapsing Hawk Addict

Hey everyone! I used to be very active on here when I had my Hawk, I really loved that bike. Someone offered me $1400 for it and I sold it last year.

Ive regretted doing that, and having trouble deciding on a bike. Im between getting another Hawk, or stretching myself and getting one of the LXR 250F's. I like the cheapness of the hawk, but the LXR seems like everything I wanted the hawk to be. 6 speed trans, ~90mph, etc. What do you guys think? Im leaning towards the LXR.

Also, does anyone have experience with TBoltUSA?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by mq1991; 02-22-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

seems you answered your own ? go with your gut
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

It seems like you have answered your own question there but if you want my two cents, I would go with the hawk. It's much much cheaper from what I've seen and I think you would get just as much out of it (especially for the price points). Plus, it seems like you really loved your first one.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #4

Thanks guys, ive been out of the loop as far as reputable stores go. Is Q9powersports still a good place to go?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Thanks guys, ive been out of the loop as far as reputable stores go. Is Q9powersports still a good place to go?
Just think of all the fun you will have assembling and modding again. I haven't heard anything bad about Q9powersports. Killermotorsports are good to deal with and had no issues with APSCUSA either. If I had the money I would go with the LXR 250F But for budget purposes you can't go wrong with the Hawk.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #6

In my mind the LXR250f and Hawk are almost two different classes of bike.

The LXR250f is to the CRF250R/L as the Hawk is to the CRF230F.

I don't think you would be unhappy with either choice.

If you don't mind spending the money of 2 1/2 Hawks, the LXR250f definitely offers the hardware to make up that difference in price. If you want the most capable off road bike, then the LXR250f wins hands down. Nearly double the power, GOOD suspension, alloy rims, and EFI. You can also fit parts for KTM's like a larger fuel tank, and there is even a big bore kit made for that engine.

The Hawk is the king of value. With a few cheap upgrades and changes it makes an awesome commuter bike, errand runner, and/or a fun weekend trail bike. It will never be a good true off-roader when compared to other bikes like the LXR though, so if that matters, then the extra money is well spent. That said, it is hard to beat in terms of capabilities for the money spent.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
In my mind the LXR250f and Hawk are almost two different classes of bike.

The LXR250f is to the CRF250R/L as the Hawk is to the CRF230F.

I don't think you would be unhappy with either choice.

If you don't mind spending the money of 2 1/2 Hawks, the LXR250f definitely offers the hardware to make up that difference in price. If you want the most capable off road bike, then the LXR250f wins hands down. Nearly double the power, GOOD suspension, alloy rims, and EFI. You can also fit parts for KTM's like a larger fuel tank, and there is even a big bore kit made for that engine.

The Hawk is the king of value. With a few cheap upgrades and changes it makes an awesome commuter bike, errand runner, and/or a fun weekend trail bike. It will never be a good true off-roader when compared to other bikes like the LXR though, so if that matters, then the extra money is well spent. That said, it is hard to beat in terms of capabilities for the money spent.
Yeah I would love to have both! I hope I can someday. Id mainly be using it to commute to work and back to save on gas. Ive seen so many good things about the LXR, and I wouldnt have to fight the carb like I did on my hawk. The power would be very welcome as well.

Its a really hard choice, the wife doesnt make it any easier because she says I can only have one bike. Well, we will see. I have an FZ 07 at the moment, and she wants me to sell it to get one of these bikes. I dont think she understands that all three are VERY different.

Oh well.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Just think of all the fun you will have assembling and modding again. I haven't heard anything bad about Q9powersports. Killermotorsports are good to deal with and had no issues with APSCUSA either. If I had the money I would go with the LXR 250F But for budget purposes you can't go wrong with the Hawk.
I know! Im excited. Im hoping I can just buy both and enjoy them.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Id mainly be using it to commute to work and back to save on gas.

Its a really hard choice, the wife doesnt make it any easier because she says I can only have one bike. Well, we will see. I have an FZ 07 at the moment, and she wants me to sell it to get one of these bikes. I dont think she understands that all three are VERY different.
For a bike replacing the FZ07, and given the use of the bike combined with your lack of desire in fiddling with a carb, then I would honestly recommend the LXR250f.

The extra power will definitely make it a little more capable on the highway. Obviously, not a ton more, but enough. Hawks are pretty pegged to maintain 65mph where the LXR can achieve that and have room to spare.

The better suspension, efi, and hardware in general will also likely leave you happier.

Toss on a larger fuel tank so you don't have to fill it every other day and a good set of dual sport tires like the Shinko 244 to have slightly better on-road manners but still be capable off-road and I think you would have a good honest all-rounder you would be happy with.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #10

Quote:
For a bike replacing the FZ07, and given the use of the bike combined with your lack of desire in fiddling with a carb, then I would honestly recommend the LXR250f.

The extra power will definitely make it a little more capable on the highway. Obviously, not a ton more, but enough. Hawks are pretty pegged to maintain 65mph where the LXR can achieve that and have room to spare.

The better suspension, efi, and hardware in general will also likely leave you happier.

Toss on a larger fuel tank so you don't have to fill it every other day and a good set of dual sport tires like the Shinko 244 to have slightly better on-road manners but still be capable off-road and I think you would have a good honest all-rounder you would be happy with.
Awesome advice, I really appreciate it! Im trying to finagle a deal where I get to keep the FZ as well. I actually have an extra 244 21" front tire from my previous bike. I changed the rear before I sold it, but the guy forgot the front tire. lol

I dont mind messing with carbs, ive tuned bikes before and had a great time. There was something about my hawk where it just never really idled right. I chased that thing up and down til my head hurt. Tried all sorts of different main, pilot, mix settings, etc. Checked for vacuum leaks, you name it. I must have been doing something wrong because it just did not play nice. Everything else but the idle I got tuned really well! I hit 68 on mine with a GPS, and it would pick the front wheel up in 1st, and clutched up in 2nd. Felt really good at anything but idle.

We will see what happens, ill let you guys know what I end up doing!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
The LXR250f is to the CRF250X as the Hawk is to the CRF230F.
Fixed it for you... not trying to be pedantic, but having owned a 250L, they are pretty slow turds that weigh too much to be considered a serious offroad bike (though they are seriously reliable). The LXR also doesn't need engine rebuilds constantly like a 250R. The LXR has more power (than the 250L) and I think like 60 lbs less weight, and basically has a KTM chassis. For my money, I'd consider an LXR, but also Pitster Pro is coming out with a 450 this year, I think I'm save my shekels for that, because if its anything like the 250, it will be a good balance of performance, reliability, and modernity, because there really isn't anything that comes close without doubling the price.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #12

It's no secret around here that I love the LXR. I can also totally relate to the Hawk.

You identified my #1 reason for going a little extra and getting the LXR ; electronic fuel injection. No fiddling with carbs, no worries about if it's too lean or too rich. No storage hassles.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah I would love to have both! I hope I can someday. Id mainly be using it to commute to work and back to save on gas. Ive seen so many good things about the LXR, and I wouldnt have to fight the carb like I did on my hawk. The power would be very welcome as well.

Oh well.
I tell my wife that bikes are like shoes. There are different bikes for each purpose. Knives are similar.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Fixed it for you... not trying to be pedantic, but having owned a 250L, they are pretty slow turds that weigh too much to be considered a serious offroad bike (though they are seriously reliable). The LXR also doesn't need engine rebuilds constantly like a 250R. The LXR has more power (than the 250L) and I think like 60 lbs less weight, and basically has a KTM chassis. For my money, I'd consider an LXR, but also Pitster Pro is coming out with a 450 this year, I think I'm save my shekels for that, because if its anything like the 250, it will be a good balance of performance, reliability, and modernity, because there really isn't anything that comes close without doubling the price.
All good points made, and be pedantic. I was just simply making an example in relation to a Hawk. Even the 250L is a powerhouse compared to a Hawk.

As far as a 450 on the market, I am interested to see what Pitster makes and how it compares to an already existing Chinese made 450 on the market, the SSR SR450S, which I have my eye on as a potential purchase this year. It's basically a CRF450 clone, without the CRF450 service intervals.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #15

MegaDan,

The new Pitster bikes are being rebranded as "GPX moto". The frames are very similar to the LXR250, but they will come with 4 different motor options:

1. A 2-stroke (40hp) Yamaha DT230 clone (electric start)
2. A 4-stroke air-cooled true 250cc Zong motor similar to a 230f honda
3. NC250
4. NC450

He has said that the first batch of bikes will be carbureted, but EFI will be coming in the fall and it will most likely be Delphi system.

Name:  GPX.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  GPX2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  GPX3.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  GPX4.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  91.6 KB