Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Smile Need adivice on the RX3 and the DRZ400

Hey guys, I know summer is here and I just sold my KLX 250. I know lots of you all have had many different bikes over the years. I'm looking at getting the RX3 Cyclone because it seems to be a great bang for its buck. Also I'm Looking at the DRZ 400. I want a bike that I can commute with and do some highway travel and also hit the trails too. How is everyone liking there RX3? I'm a little worried about maintenance on this because I'm not the best when it comes to all that stuff. Is it pretty much just like any other bike? If I brought it to a local motorcycle shop would I have problems with them helping me service it? Is the valve clearance hard to do? I know CSC give you great instructions and video tutorials on this. So im hoping to learn a lot from them. How are these handling on the highway? What is the max speed people are getting with this bike without it wobbling or redlining it? I have heard also the speedometer is a bit off. Any truth to that?? How does the bike handle off road? I know its a bit heavy. Is there anything that anyone has done to make the bike a bit lighter? So now to the DRZ 400. I know its a good bike off road and a good commuter bike and not good for highway use. But it is a bit out dated and $3,000 more dollars if bought new. What are peoples opinion on it and could you tell me how you rate it and the pros and cons of it and if you liked it and if you have a RX3 which bike you think is better in terms of what you do. Thank you all for your time.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Excellent questions. On one hand, I would trust everything that SpudRider has to say about the RX3, and I'm certain that it would be an excellent bike. On the other hand, you've asked about having the bike serviced (vs. doing it yourself), so that's a red flag for me.

If you choose to have the bike serviced, you may be happier with an established brand, like Suzuki. Although Suzuki dealers are more scarce that other Japanese dealers, they're still around.

If you choose to use this forum as an educational tool, the RX3 would be a wonderful bike. There will be a wealth of information here in time, and you'll be able to find answers to virtually any RX3 question.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

I agree with Weld. Owning a Chinese motorcycle is very different from owning a Japanese motorcycle. Most motorcycle shops won't touch a Chinese bike, so the owner of a Chinese motorcycle should be very comfortable with the idea of doing all of his own maintenance.

The Zongshen RX3 will perform much better on pavement than the DRZ400. However, the RX3 is an adventure bike, so it will not be happy on any trails. It is designed for highway use, and dirt roads. The bike has the potential to handle fire roads well, but the RX3 won't reach its full potential until the suspension is improved with stiffer springs and/or an aftermarket shock absorber.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Thanks for your support guys!!

Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 AM   #5

You're welcome. Good luck with whichever bike you choose.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #6

X2; good luck with your decision.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #7

We have an RX3 and a DRZ 400. So far I've ridden the RX3 on a 180 mile ride that had about 100 of the miles that were off road. Yesterday I rode 300 paved miles over to Eugene and back over a mountain pass. In a nutshell, the RX3 is slower than the DRZ but considerably more comfortable for longer pavement miles. I got home after 300 miles and could have gone another 100 or two without feeling beat up.
On the off road trip I was riding with a group of Advriders. A couple WR250Rs, KTM 990, Wee stroms, and a KTM 690. On the steeper/longer climbs it was a bit of a challange to keep up with the larger bikes but overall the bike was well balanced and was comfortable riding on the moderately rough single lane dirt roads 30-50 MPH range even with the CST stock street 90/10 tires. There were even 4 water crossings ranging from short and shallow to close to two feet deep with fist to baby head sized rocks underwater and the little RX3 handled it well.
The main difference between a more off-road oriented bike like the DRz and an Adventure bike like the RX3 means you can ride further on road to get to and from the dirt sections in more comfort, and have to ride less aggressively when you do get to dirt because of the higher relative weight and less suspension travel. Also it means not diving with abandon into rough rocky stuff lest one break something or crash.
Overall the more I ride this thing, the more I love it. It continues to surprise me with every ride. Everyone's needs are different but for me, the RX3 trumps the DRZ. Actually I'm putting the Suzuki up for sale next week.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Welcome to these forums, Bendbiker. We are glad you joined us.

Thanks for sharing your experiences regarding the Zongshen RX3 and Suzuki DR-Z400.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #9

The RX-3 is my first motorcycle and I am loving it. Today I took a wrong turn somewhere on a forest service road and ended up on some gnarly double track hunters' ATV tracks and it performed wonderfully from my perspective. It takes some clutch management in first gear to make it up steep loose stuff but it can do it.

My other bike is a hard-tail 29er (mountain bicycle) so the suspension on the RX seems stellar. Tighten down EVERY bolt you can find that hasn't been torqued. I lost the 2 bolts on the left rear foot pegs on this run. Easy to replace but it would have been a bummer to lose the pannier if it had all come undone.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and have found it super fun to work on the bike - very Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I learn something every time I ride or look at it in the garage. With 1200 miles on it I honestly feel I've already got my $3500 out of it and I'm sure it's going to go another 50k+ with no problems.

I ride mainly on dirt county roads and commute on a 60mph freeway. It's been great for both, especially since I followed Spud's lead and put the Shinko 244 on the back with the Kenda K270 on front.

My friend rides the DRZ and we rode together yesterday. He leaves me in the dust if he wants but I'm not in it for raw speed. I'm in for a good commuter and trail toy. It fits the bill and I've got dollars to spend on accessories.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:21 AM   #10

It sounds like the RX3 was a great first motorcycle for you, Eric. Indeed, it is a very nice motorcycle. Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendbiker View Post
...baby head sized rocks
Welcome!

I'm stealing that line.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarronEric View Post
I honestly feel I've already got my $3500 out of it and I'm sure it's going to go another 50k+ with no problems.
That's about the highest praise you could give a bike. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:48 AM   #13

It is nasty indeed to roll over the baby heads. I hate them.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendbiker View Post
We have an RX3 and a DRZ 400. So far I've ridden the RX3 on a 180 mile ride that had about 100 of the miles that were off road. Yesterday I rode 300 paved miles over to Eugene and back over a mountain pass. In a nutshell, the RX3 is slower than the DRZ but considerably more comfortable for longer pavement miles. I got home after 300 miles and could have gone another 100 or two without feeling beat up.
On the off road trip I was riding with a group of Advriders. A couple WR250Rs, KTM 990, Wee stroms, and a KTM 690. On the steeper/longer climbs it was a bit of a challange to keep up with the larger bikes but overall the bike was well balanced and was comfortable riding on the moderately rough single lane dirt roads 30-50 MPH range even with the CST stock street 90/10 tires. There were even 4 water crossings ranging from short and shallow to close to two feet deep with fist to baby head sized rocks underwater and the little RX3 handled it well.
The main difference between a more off-road oriented bike like the DRz and an Adventure bike like the RX3 means you can ride further on road to get to and from the dirt sections in more comfort, and have to ride less aggressively when you do get to dirt because of the higher relative weight and less suspension travel. Also it means not diving with abandon into rough rocky stuff lest one break something or crash.
Overall the more I ride this thing, the more I love it. It continues to surprise me with every ride. Everyone's needs are different but for me, the RX3 trumps the DRZ. Actually I'm putting the Suzuki up for sale next week.
Wow, sounds like you really like you RX3. I still am holding out and doing my research on everything. I want to learn to fix things on my bike, and feel that I could with help from there website and talking to you guys. Plus learning I feel is what it is all about. We should all know how to wrench a bike, god forbid we get stranded and need to do maintenence. I also love the RX has FI. That is really leaning me towards going towards it too. What was all your top speeds so far? Is the speedo off??

Old 06-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

I am also in the process of finding a new bike. I have been looking at the DRZ400, WR250R, and now the RX3 is here. Between the WR250R and DRZ400, the WR seems to be the winner due to its 6spd gearbox, lighter weight, FI, etc. However the DRZ can be had for a good deal cheaper so I have been looking for one. Now the RX3 is here and I am trying to consider what I am going to use the bike for the most. I never really ride very far away since there is so much within 50 miles of me, and like to do some trail riding and stuff so the DRZ seems to be optimal, but then the RX3 has FI, more comfortable, and has more modern components (as well as getting a 2015 for the same price as a 2006 DRZ). Choices... Choices.....