Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Anyone own a Haosen ATV?

Looking to buy a Haosen ATV, adult size, 150-250cc. Was wondering if anyone owned one and if you could give me some feedback, good, bad or indifferent. I'm pretty handy, have rebuilt ATVs, tractors, cars, so I don't mind turning a wrench. Thanks

Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

My guess is they are like the old Hensim ATVs. Hensim had a small, decent offering of bikes in the US several years ago, but were run out of here by the EPA, not quality issues. Their 250 enduro had just been introduced to the US, maybe, literally, a container or two worth, so no real 'data' on it, but it is now the 'Hawk' which many have bought and seem to love. There are some videos on youtube from a few years back if you put Hensim in the search. Plus, we have Adam Rinkleff who is in charge of something with Ricky Power Sports, the importer of Haosen, and he contributes in the dual sport section, so should be accessible for discussions on their ATVs.

I would compare brands with Taotao, too, and there are several videos on those on youtube.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

I'm hardly an objective source of information, but the party line is that our ATVs require less maintenance, last longer, and have less vibration. Also the rear wheels are wider and the center of gravity is lower, making tipping less likely. The 250cc has a shaft drive, and is semi-automatic 5-speed with winch/hitch options. Hensim Group basically restructured their motor vehicle division as an independent company: Haosen.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

The thing I always liked about Hensim was the lineup, like what you guys have now, was small. There was a popular Honda Rebel-like cruiser bike which seemed to give its owners some riding, and then a lot of frustration, time. You guys are smart not to carry that

The 150 was a stout offering for many a new rider learning to ride. And the ATVs were reliable as far as Chinese ATVs go (Hensim were a bit above the curve). The Hensim USA site never showed a photo of the enduro, and had it as 'coming soon' and like I mentioned, the only place to get one was from an OK City online/brick and mortar dealer called VBikeUSA. They had a container or two, a few members bought them, posted a few months worth of reviews, and then were gone--the members and the bikes. Hensim USA never had them, and then had their EPA issues, and were gone, too.

I had always wanted to get a Hensim ATV, and the enduro, so in a way, history is repeating itself. For the original poster, I don't think he can go wrong, especially as long as he knows what he is getting into. I mentioned Taotao, not to take a stab at your company, but I do believe it is worth cross-brand comparison shopping, and the Taotaos tend to be available in numerous places. However, as you have shown on the enduro threads, and now here, there isn't anyone from Taotao posting replies, meaning one would seem to get a little bit of 'extra' customer service buying a Haosen!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

nice. thanks for the great info culcune and Adam, including the history on the Hensim brand. agreed that Adam is already showing us his customer service, which is a good sign for a potential customer. the reviews on the Hawk are very good, so i would think that the same quality would apply to Haosen ATVs.

culcune: "For the original poster, I don't think he can go wrong, especially as long as he knows what he is getting into."

what do you mean by that? staying on top of maintenance and keeping an eye out for loosening bolts?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

I'm really glad to hear this info. My first three CB's (one quad, 2 DB's) were Hensim's. The little quad still runs excellently as a small ranch quad for my father in law, as does the two DB 150's I sold to a friend. They've had the snot beat out of them and they're 10 years old. We rode these little 150's all over the place without a hitch. This bodes well for Haosen and Hawk and whatever they decide to offer in the future.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

awesome, thanks for the info, 2LZ, just what i was looking for. reliable for 10 years and still going, that says a lot. this definitely bodes well for Haosen.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftownhillbilly View Post

what do you mean by that? staying on top of maintenance and keeping an eye out for loosening bolts?
Yes. Quads tend to need more work vs. bikes, from what I understand, and the Chinese part means a little bit extra work, but these things are getting sorted out, plus you are not a newby, so you should be ok

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
awesome, thanks for the info, 2LZ, just what i was looking for. reliable for 10 years and still going, that says a lot. this definitely bodes well for Haosen.
With these CB's, it's all about assemble and setup. Be anal about putting them together and they should be fine.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the advice. It sounds like these bikes require a break in period like the older cars needed. Reading the owner's manual on Adam's website, it says for the first 10 hours of riding, only go half throttle. I will also swap oil immediately, before starting with quality synthetic, and again at the 10 hour mark. For assembly, Loctite every nut & bolt without a cotter pin, and tie up electrical. Fuel treatment as well.

Can you think of anything else that I should do?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

Watch this Taotao video. Even though you are interested in the Haosen quads, with both being Chinese, I am guessing this will apply to both.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the advice. It sounds like these bikes require a break in period like the older cars needed. Reading the owner's manual on Adam's website, it says for the first 10 hours of riding, only go half throttle. I will also swap oil immediately, before starting with quality synthetic, and again at the 10 hour mark. For assembly, Loctite every nut & bolt without a cotter pin, and tie up electrical. Fuel treatment as well.

Can you think of anything else that I should do?
Sounds like you have the important stuff down....though I've not really had an issue with the locktite like most others here. I double check that everything's tight and aligned for a while and it seems to be ok, but I may not be near as hard on my stuff as others here.

Like said prior, uncrate it and take your sweet time making sure everything is assembled properly, tight and aligned. Keep a drill handy as some things may not line up to your liking, especially plastics. Make sure all your cables are adjusted correctly and then double check them all after a few rides.

Change the oil, adjust the valves (They'll probably be too tight) and toss in a good NGK plug. Then take the jetting and mods from there.

To me, this is almost more fun than actually riding them!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #13

Examine the air filter; is it decent quality? If not, now is the time to change it. If it is a flat filter in a cage, you can substitute a piece of bulk Uni filter.

Double-nut whatever you deem critical, like the swingarm nut. I also stick a nyloc on the end of the chain adjuster studs, to prevent losing the tension nut.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

wow, great advice, guys, thank a lot. Sounds like this thread is putting together a thorough to-do list for break-in.

Culcune, would you mind telling me what the YouTube link is, please? Having a hard time accessing from your post.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #15

YouTube link: Taotao Chinese ATV review and needed Modifications