Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Grom copy (Thunder 125) keeps popping main fuse

Just got them this week, assembled both of them and got them up and running.
Waiting on the title info in the mail, so im only (breaking them in) around the neighborhood by the shop.
One of them, starts and runs perfect, i go down the street come back, shut it off and when i go to turn it back on, its dead, nothing. Checked the main fuse, and it blown. Replaced it and it did exactly the same thing.
Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Seems like a dead short of some kind, just need to get this sorted asap.
Im guessing apsusa probably dont have a technical department so i need to start diagnosing.
Any insight would be great.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

You have a wire pinched or otherwise grounding out somewhere in the assembly. Just get in there with a flashlight and start tracing every wire and connector. Good time to put some dialectic grease on all the electrical connections.

/

Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
You have a wire pinched or otherwise grounding out somewhere in the assembly. Just get in there with a flashlight and start tracing every wire and connector. Good time to put some dialectic grease on all the electrical connections.

/
yeah, its got to be something simple.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #4

When I bought my TGB scooter, I had ridden the bike the week before, and it started right up and rode fine. Once I brought it home a week later after a 300 mile trip, I got it started, and as most of you scooter people probably know, the only way to check the electrical stuff like turn signals and headlight, taillight and brake light is with the engine running; I noticed the brake light wasn't working. I had some bulbs from my TMEC (lots of broken bulbs from all the road vibration from that bike, so I had a stockpile of bulbs), so slapped one in. Couldn't get the brake light. Twisted it around, and kind of got it working. When I went back to start the bike up, nothing. Tried kickstarting it, and it started second kick. Checked all the lights and such--no brake light. Then I thought about the fuse, which I knew is in the floorboard where the battery goes. Burned out. I had to buy a package of fuses. Put one in--nothing (and a blown fuse). Figured it had something to do with the light bulb. Drove myself crazy playing with the bulb, trying to start it up again...nothing. Kick started it, played with the bulb with the bike running, got it kind of working, turned off the bike, started it off...northing (another blown fuse). Took the taillight assembly off, and realized something was wrong. It turned out after taking the scooter to the local Honda/Yamaha dealer (after kickstarting it since I was out of fuses) that one of the prongs was touching another piece of metal (from twisting the bulb around, I guess), the service guy bent it the way it should be bent, handed it back to me and charged me $600. OK, just kidding, he charged me nothing!! The bike had no more blown fuses after that, although it does have bulb issues from time to time due to its shifter-kart style suspension (almost like it doesn't have any suspension it is that hard and bouncy), but I am careful with putting new bulbs in from now on!

After all that--see if you have any trouble with your taillight/brake light. Couldn't hurt to see if it is something as simple as that causing a short, but I think I am the only one ever reporting a shorting issue due to the taillight. Otherwise, check any and all connections as Adjuster mentioned.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

Culcune, what have you hauled in that TGB trunk? How fast?

I want a pizza!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

I have put a floor jack, a bunch of tools, and a starter when my Jeep's starter stranded me about a mile away from my house (the hitting it with a hammer no longer worked). I have posted photos of how much room is in my trunk after putting a few pizza boxes in there (for show). For 'real' I have had 2 pizzas in there, and 4 Shasta 2.5 liter sodas, and a couple of nicknacks the dollar store sells (besides soda). I could fit a stack of probably 9 or 10 pizzas and the 2.5 liter soda bottles since, thinking back, I didn't lay anything on top of the actual pizzas (I still had horizontal space). There is quite a lot of room in there. Oh, I have bought a 24 pack of beer (bottles) which easily fits, and had room for other stuff but that is all I bought. And a 32 pack of water bottles, and some other stuff which fit on top and next to the water.

Now you got me thinking--once a week I should create and add to a thread--"what fits in the TGB box?" Take suggestions from other members? And/or youtube channel?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

pulled it apart today, and found someone plug a hot wire intoa ground wire behind the headlight.
found a few other things and corrected those as well.
boy these things are cheap!
lol, i realize you get what you pay for, i just hope these last a while and we can have some fun on them.
i worked at a yamaha dealership for many years, and started i with assembly of the new bikes, watercraft, atv's etc.. so my standards and understanding of quality control are a bit different.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #8

Culcune...thanks for the report. You could go to the grocery store for a load no problem.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~