Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Leaf peeping at 100 MPG

Yesterday I took the Zongketa 200 over to FR11, a 50 mile paved single lane road through the Cascades. A beautiful and relaxing ride even though I did manage to scrape some metal off the bottoms of the foot pegs. The vine maple leaves are at peak fall colors and not a cloud in the deep blue sky.

The tank was filled to the brim when I left and riding speed varied between 15 and 55 mph, probably averaged 35 mph for the 101 mile ride. When I got home I wasn't able to fit a full gallon into the tank. That's the best mileage I've achieved on a 200 and almost as good as I've gotten with the 140. The bike is all stock and has the CG clone 167FML engine. Best I've gotten out of the Lifan 200 is 86 mpg.

Last edited by Mudflap; 10-17-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added pic

Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

Great pics and great fuel economy.The leaves don't really get colorful until around Christmas down here on the Gulf Coast. Hopefully, I can do a ride report then.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #3

Thanks for posting the ride report and photos.

I got over 100 mpg several times with my Zongshen Sierra 200, but it is a rare event, which has not happened for several years.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #4

It looks like it was a perfect day for a ride. Thanks for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Fall colors here in Oregon are nowhere near as good as the east coast. Here's a pic of my daughter riding the Lifan 140 powered Trail 90 in the LaSalle Mtns just east of Moab Utah a few years ago. The Trail 90 almost always gets 100+ MPG.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

I bought my bike to look at the colors in lovely Michigan as well ,ours have just about changed .I'll take a bunch of pics when I take "pepper" to the mound on monday.

Hey mudflap how do you like that 140? I 'm going to put a piranha 140 or 150 on my xr 70.I really like the 150 because of the oil filter access and that you can big bore it and put a roller rocker race head for it . I like the 140 reliabilty and cost. How fast does your trail 140 go? Im going to build this bike into icerace bike with studs and lots of power.

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

No doubt your autumn looks a lot more colorful than ours.

I like the 140 a lot. The low end torque is great for such a small engine which is perfect for off road use. It's a long stroke engine and behaves like one. It's not a high rev engine, it's a grunt engine. No problems over the 12,000+ miles so far. I did replace the plastic cam chain idler wheel with a Honda rubber one to make it a little quieter. The one drawback to the Lifan 140 is it takes a lot of force to kick it over and it sometimes kicks back. Not a big deal for a big guy but a light weight person may find his/her knee in his/her chin. Comfortable cruising speed with a 17/45 I use mostly for off road is about 55 mph. My daughter was able to reach 67 mph with 17/40 ratio, GPS verified but she is a lot smaller and lighter than me.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Not a big deal for a big guy but a light weight person may find his/her knee in his/her chin.
Best line of the week!

Did you start a thread on that bike?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #9

No thread on the Trail 140 as of yet. May get around to it if El Nino rains keep me stuck in the camper this winter in Arizona.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

I wonder why my TMEC seems to get 'poor' mileage? It seems to get about 50 to 55 mpg on my daily commute. My old one did as well. I do ride open throttle for about half of the ride (7 or 8 miles), and my sprockets are 17/48, but I keep reading about all kinds of mileage much higher than mine. I eagerly await the 150cc TGB scooter...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
No thread on the Trail 140 as of yet. May get around to it if El Nino rains keep me stuck in the camper this winter in Arizona.
Eagerly await the report! Where do you live in AZ during the winter?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #12

Could just be the wide open throttle part of your commute causing poor MPG.

I usually head south from home in Oregon in November, spend a week or so in Death Valley, then down to the Quartzsite and Bouse areas. I've camped near Yuma off Ogilby Road but it tends to be too windy to fly the PPCs there.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wonder why my TMEC seems to get 'poor' mileage?
Remind me, is your TMEC a pushrod motor? if so, that could be a contributor. The CG motors have only one cam lobe that bumps both intake and exhaust, so neither event can be optimized. They are reliable runners, but are not models of power nor efficiency.

WOT doesn't help matters.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

It looks like you had a perfect day for your ride. Lucky you. I'm waiting for winter to pass in Michigan. Ride safe my friend.