Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

A word which surprised me...

I have been away from motorcycles for well over 35 years, just getting back into the wind.

Now that I'm scouring the web (didn't exist then) for bikes and motorcycle knowledge and such, I keep seeing a word which I did not recognize... 'motard'.

I have to tell you, this made me laugh and cringe at the same time. A 'motard' means something very different in the culture I am from. A 'motard' is Marine Corps talk for a person who is, shall we say, excessively motivated. They yell "Ooh-Rah" every five second or "Semper Fi, do or die!" at otherwise inappropriate times and places. They are both motivated, and (sorry, very politically incorrect term here, mentioned for historical accuracy reasons only) retarded. A 'mo-tard' or 'motard'.

I realize it means something very different in the motorcycling world, but every time I see it, I can't help laughing.

It kind of reminds me of another word I used to hear a lot, which changed meanings. Way way back in the day, a 'nimrod' was a person who enjoyed firearms or who was a very good hunter with firearms. Now, a 'nimrod' is an idiot.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
I have been away from motorcycles for well over 35 years, just getting back into the wind.

Now that I'm scouring the web (didn't exist then) for bikes and motorcycle knowledge and such, I keep seeing a word which I did not recognize... 'motard'.

I have to tell you, this made me laugh and cringe at the same time. A 'motard' means something very different in the culture I am from. A 'motard' is Marine Corps talk for a person who is, shall we say, excessively motivated. They yell "Ooh-Rah" every five second or "Semper Fi, do or die!" at otherwise inappropriate times and places. They are both motivated, and (sorry, very politically incorrect term here, mentioned for historical accuracy reasons only) retarded. A 'mo-tard' or 'motard'.

I realize it means something very different in the motorcycling world, but every time I see it, I can't help laughing.

It kind of reminds me of another word I used to hear a lot, which changed meanings. Way way back in the day, a 'nimrod' was a person who enjoyed firearms or who was a very good hunter with firearms. Now, a 'nimrod' is an idiot.
Motard always got me too. I wonder if it's the European equivalent to "Supermoto"? Basically a dual sport with street tires and rims.

I remember when a Nimrod was one of the first pop-up tent trailers we'd see in campgrounds.

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/nimrod.html

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure that supermotard is French in origin, and it's equivalent to supermoto in English.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

French or German I heard motorcycles called this in Germany

Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm pretty sure that supermotard is French in origin, and it's equivalent to supermoto in English.
You are correct on this one. And here is what wiki states on it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoto

"Supermoto or Supermotard is a motorcycle race on a track that alternates between three kinds of race courses: the hard packed dirt of flat track, the irregular jumps and obstacles of motocross, and the paved tarmac of road racing. Supermoto was originally conceived by Gavin Trippe in 1979 as a segment of the TV show Wide World of Sports. It was something like an all-star game, in which the best riders from the three separate genres of motorcycle racing could temporarily leave their normal race class to come together and compete for the title of best all around racer."
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

.....and Darkrider just dropped the mic

Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #7

Supermoto

AMERICAN STYLE

http://www.cycleworld.com/american-f...meron-insights
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~