Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #16

AZRider, something like the part below coupled with a bit of tubing might make for remote acces to the valve and the ability to easily make pressure adjustments. Though keep in mind the pressure might spike dramatically during normal shock operations; I would at least buy tubing rated 200 to 300 psi.

Neither spud or I think the pressure will make much difference but this is simply an untested theory. Testing a theory with observation and experiment is the only way to progress with real knowledge. So I say give it a try and report back!

http://www.amazon.com/Zjskin-Degree-...XEBRE22AP4AE7C

Old 12-10-2015, 12:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
Rebound adjustment and preload: What is a good starting setting? I am a lightweight, 160 lbs w/o gear.
Ideas?

Old 12-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
Ideas?
If you read the thread at the link I posted earlier, I believe you will find some suggestions therein. However, the best way to adjust the spring preload is to set the race sag properly, and this can vary slightly with tire selection, equipment installed, loaded weight, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #19

I stated this earlier, but I will repeat it once more, since it is significant. The stock shock absorber doesn't hold much air. If you hold the schrader valve down for less than a second, all the air will be released. Obviously, the air volume inside the shock body is very limited. Therefore, if you wish to add air to the shock, I suggest you use a hand pump, or set the pressure regulator on your mechanical pump to 45 psi. Otherwise, you risk blowing an oil seal in the shock.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
AZRider, something like the part below coupled with a bit of tubing might make for remote acces to the valve and the ability to easily make pressure adjustments.
Thanks for the link 3banger, that's exactly what I had in mind, coupled with a small bicycle pump. Next time I take the bike apart for a valve adjustment, I'll take a closer look at what I'll need.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #21

When I tested the pressure in my shock it was 150psi. i let it down to around 30.psi.
but the shock does not extend itself at that pressure so it needs more pressure than that
it's possable that there is no pressure in it at all now as it doesn't feel like it on the bench
a word of caution ... I took the preload adjustments all the way to the top to lower the seat height.... which it did.... but the ride was really rough ( it has always been with this bike) ... i am trying to fit a weaker spring to it right now...
but in so doing ( raising the preload nuts to the top of the shock) i inadvertantly bottomed out the shock the stroke is extreamily short on this shock and every inch you raise the nuts you lower the shock piston.... Yes the shock will bottom out and the spring will not even be compressed at all.... weird but that is how they made it
so My solution is with the shock on the bench, is to extend the shock fully... and adjust the preload nuts to the top of the spring enough to hold the spring solidly there. and then re install it....
this will give me maximum shock travel and also maximum seat height ( to my dismay)
I think the only way to lower this beast is with a lowering kit or make your own Modified horseshoe/dog bone that is longer that will alow the rear swing arm to go up without affecting the shock or it's length.
so as your adjusting the sag you may well find that you bottom out on bumps there is very little room to play with here with this short acting shock.
Bob........

Old 05-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #22

for those that have messed with the preload and want it to have full use of the shock stroke I suggest raising the bike and get the rear wheel off the ground
and then move the pre-load nuts to the top of the spring and then lock them down there....
it's not the best solution but it will give you the full stroke of the short shock
as far as sag..... this bike doesn't have any sag ! the spring is too hard for that
a weaker spring is needed..... and that is where I am at right now!
if I find one I will let ya all know all the details of the spring... because this has been a bitch to discover on my own !

Bob.......

Old 05-16-2022, 08:14 PM   #23

It seems to me that the RX4 has a different spring and nut in the rx3 there is one with a bolt versus in the rx4 two nuts, but I could be wrong in the rx3 the spring is relatively soft.If I'm not mistaken, you can try to get the spring from the rx3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rx.jpg (87.4 KB, 61 views)

Old 02-16-2024, 09:40 PM   #24

Hola, ese amortiguador que marca es? Se instala facil como el original, su tamaño es el mismo que el original, donde lo puedo comprar

Old 02-16-2024, 09:45 PM   #25

Hola, ese amortiguador que marca es? Se instala facil como el original, su tamaño es el mismo que el original, donde lo puedo comprar.