Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #1

Hello!

Hello!

Already learned a lot by reading the forums. Santa has brought my 7yr old son a 125cc "Extreme" from Shandong Liangzi Power. He has a lot of safety equipment, and I have governed it down to get him used to it. Already brought his fishing gear down to the pond. He is enjoying it. Already put 1 hr on the machine and changed the shipping oil to Rotella T Triple 15w-40 to break it in some more. He is having a blast!

I am actually interested in an ATV myself now. I know my son will graduate from me having him do loops on the property with the remote kill switch in my hand to actually wanting to see something with his freedom. Of course, I hear that I "should" buy a used Japanese bike as it is more "reliable," but it seems these are just as good as long as you know how to turn a wrench.

Any suggestions for a 210lb 6'2" guy? That new TAOTAO 300F looks really cool, but it is brand new and who knows...

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #2

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I will defer to the ATV experts, who will offer you better advice. I'm sure they will soon appear.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Welcome!

China atv's are not as good as Japanese brands. That said, if you take the time to prep them properly, they can be fun, reliable machines. I bought a cheap 200cc sport quad in 2008, and I still love it. Read about it here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9467

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

The other TaoTao lineup are decent for adults, from what I have read from a few members here. One of our recent members had this model http://www.taotao.us/index.cfm/atvs/ata-125f1/ for cruising around his farm, and seemed to like it. Of course, he is not going all-out, and it is only a 125, so I guess you need to consider your desired kind of riding. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13800 There are numerous threads asking how to repair the TaoTaos as well, but I believe many, if not most, had bought a used one, or came across a used one--the guy in the above thread had bought his new.

The new 300 TaoTao might be one to consider if the price is far enough less than a comparable Japanese quad.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #5

I have a 200cc Marsin, 150cc Vbike (taotao) and a 110 Hanway that I purchased 7 years ago. All are still running strong. Only problem I have had was with the rear swing arm bushings on the taotao. Had some bronze bushings made and no problems since. Both the 200cc and 150cc will do 40mph no problem. MPG is in the 40+. Plenty of power for me and my family for what we do. Remember, in the 70's 90cc was considered cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_12.jpg (43.7 KB, 76 views)

Old 01-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. I am still looking. BTW, that picture cracked me up! Showed that one to the wife. She thought it was hilarious too!