Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #496

With enough duct tape, anything is possible!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #497

Name:  irish sidecar res.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  27.3 KB
Sidecar passengers deserve their own special drink.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #498

Guess what's back on the road!!!!!????!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 175166038_770403693609608_8973816670549803956_n.jpg (79.7 KB, 203 views)

Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #499

Windiest ride ever yesterday.

Mrs. C wanted to do an ice cream ride and she said let's take the motorcycle. The wind was howling out of the southwest. We are talking 50 mph gusts. I can't even use 4th heading west or south. So it's 3rd and 4600/4800 rpm to make maybe 50 mph. The Maggot would shrug at 4600 and plod on, but the Ural has a 5800 red line. Trying to keep the speed down heading north or east was somewhat of a battle, too.

Suffice it to say, after the buffeting for the 50 miles we rode, I was beat.

When I was younger and doing 25K time trials on a bicycle, we'd call that 'not enough motor going out and not enough gear back' on windy days.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #500

Approaching a milestone. 31068 miles equals 50,000 kilometers.

I still have folks tell me what a POC* Urals are, that the engine will grenade because of the spin on filter upgrade, my hitch tube will fail and cause an accident. Bless their hearts. The little beast just keeps on chugging along.

*I will admit that the speedometers can be crappish, though one guy at SS has rolled his original speedo over twice.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #501

I forgot to tell you! On the 27th of May I was driving up to Eugene, 90 miles away, and going down the interstate was a Ural with a side car! I think it was blue in color? Pretty sure he had bugs in his teeth from smiling. Anyway, thought of you!
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 07-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #502

I did the 50,000km service yesterday. I've been run so hard that it took almost an entire year to knock out the 2,000 miles since the last service. I have the deep sump, so I can push it a bit farther. Anyway, engine oil, filter, and final drive. Tranny is every other oil change. Since I rebuilt the final drive a few years ago, it's always a good feeling when the gear lube drained out is almost the same color as the new lube going in.

Only headache was that I replaced the Mann 75/3 filter with a Hi-Flo filter that is about 1mm taller than the Mann filter. That made it a bit of a struggle to get the filter over the the crossover pipe. I glared at the filter and it slipped into place.

I was going to rotate the pusher and hack tires but both are so worn that I'll just replace both tires this fall.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #503

One of my buddies from the airport I fly out of called me late saturday night, and said that they needed some help. They were in the walmart parking lot with a lady who had an older carbureted Ural, and it wouldn't start. At first they thought the battery was dead, so they tried push starting it, and the back tire just completely locked up. Then they noticed fuel dripping out the left side carb. I pulled the plug, and sure enough the whole cylinder was full of go-juice. I checked the oil, and the crankcase was also full of gas floating on top of what was originally a proper amount of oil. I took the other plug out, and it was completely dry, although it looked like it was running just a bit rich. I tried to turn the engine over with both plugs removed and it didn't budge. Uh-Oh... I think that with the cylinder full of gas, when they tried to push-start her, it bent something important in the engine. Not sure how it turned out for her in the end, I waited with her until the tow-truck showed up, and then headed back to the house.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
One of my buddies from the airport I fly out of called me late saturday night, and said that they needed some help. They were in the walmart parking lot with a lady who had an older carbureted Ural, and it wouldn't start. At first they thought the battery was dead, so they tried push starting it, and the back tire just completely locked up. Then they noticed fuel dripping out the left side carb. I pulled the plug, and sure enough the whole cylinder was full of go-juice. I checked the oil, and the crankcase was also full of gas floating on top of what was originally a proper amount of oil. I took the other plug out, and it was completely dry, although it looked like it was running just a bit rich. I tried to turn the engine over with both plugs removed and it didn't budge. Uh-Oh... I think that with the cylinder full of gas, when they tried to push-start her, it bent something important in the engine. Not sure how it turned out for her in the end, I waited with her until the tow-truck showed up, and then headed back to the house.
Yup. Open petcock and a carb float stuck open. Flooded the cylinder with gas and hydro locked. Once the starter button is poked, the damage is done and a connecting rod is bent or the three piece crank gets twisted out of whack. Rebuild time.
This isn’t an issue with fuelies but on carbed models it can be. Especially older rigs.
That’s why I prefer to kick start my rig. The starter has enough torque to cause a lot of boo boos. If I can’t kick it over, there’s a problem and time to stop and find out why. So far, so good.

Sounds like the lady will need a “Sergai will fix it”.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #505

Funny that, currently listening to an audiobook about a spaceship with a Russian chief engineer, when reading that I can actually hear ensign Vladimir Kaminetzky go oh bozhe moi
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 07-07-2021, 04:03 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Yup. Open petcock and a carb float stuck open. Flooded the cylinder with gas and hydro locked. Once the starter button is poked, the damage is done and a connecting rod is bent or the three piece crank gets twisted out of whack. Rebuild time.
This isn’t an issue with fuelies but on carbed models it can be. Especially older rigs.
That’s why I prefer to kick start my rig. The starter has enough torque to cause a lot of boo boos. If I can’t kick it over, there’s a problem and time to stop and find out why. So far, so good.

Sounds like the lady will need a “Sergai will fix it”.
Lucky for her her son owns a motorcycle shop in Newnan, about a thirty minute ride from Carrollton. Her son was out of town that night, but she had mentioned he has a trailer and will come pick it up. She had also mentioned that he had replaced the carbs about six months and a whole lot of miles ago. This was the first problem she had with it, but I figure she used up an entire years' worth of problems with this one... I need to get mine into a shop. It doesn't matter how many times I kick mine over, I just cannot get it to start with the kickstarter. I would much rather go for the 'authentic' look, and use the kick starter, but even getting it started with the electric starter takes time (and a whole lot of swearing). That's the downside to having a fuel injected rig; I can't work on it in the garage with the radio playing away in the corner. It needs to go to the shop...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #507

Your rig has the Electro-jet system. I understand they’re a beyotch to kick start. A bunch of guys at Soviet Steeds came up with an interface cable and software to beat up on the ECM so it will behave a bit better. As a carb guy, it looks like sorcery.

Ural now has a Keihin Fuel Injection upgrade kit available to replace the Electro-jet system on the 2014-2018 models. Just $3K and a lot of time to install.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #508

Everything that happens inside the fuel injection brain box is black magic and witchcraft as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, the $3k might be worth it to get that beast up and running the way it should. I dunno. Maybe I'll look into it. Any idea where I can find some info on the new system?

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #509

Here you go.
https://www.uralne.com/gen-2-efi-thr...4-2018-models/

Don't tell your wife I showed this to you.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #510

There's also this.
http://m2boxer.com/us/ural-750cc-2014-2018

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800