Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 AM   #1

Opinions on GY6 mods & CDI upgrades

Alright guys, im back. It has been a while but i finally have time for all my toys and new one i just picked up. It is a 150cc ATV with the GY6 engine, i was wondering if anyone happened to know what kind of mods i can do to this thing to get a few more ponys out of it? I was looking at going with a big bore kit as per usual. But any suggestions on mods would be highly appreciated! It has forward and reverse, by the looks of it there is a box on the rear axle and when you push the lever it pulls a cable on the box to kick it into Forward and if you pull it back it puts it in reverse, This is my first time messing with a GY6 scooter engine so im not sure how its going to turn out but i feel like it deserves the respect of a few mods to get what i can out of it.

I would also like an opinion about CDI's, right now i have a CDI from a little 50cc atv installed in it. When i bought the 150 ATV the CDI crapped out witch made a no spark issue (reason the guy sold it) it runs great now with no issue other than it being very slow, im not sure if the CDI from the 50cc has something to do with that or if the GY6 engine is just slow in general, ive been reading alot about Rev Limiters built into the CDI so if that is the case i would love to upgrade it to a new one designed for this motor. The donor CDI was just for testing purposes but i assumed it wouldn't have been as slow as it was.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #2

Always sad to see another GY6 engine transformed into a pile of excrement with performance enhancements!

Performance CDI's are typically a waste of money . . variator weights MAY be a better expenditure.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Howdy John,

Others have added more airflow (better filter-less restrictive muffler) but I would suggest checking your CVT unit. Depending on the age and use you could replace springs and/or weights to get better performance out of it. I would suggest you also check and if need be adjust the valves.

Member Weldangrind has a really good thread regarding your “Box” on the rear axle (reverse).

I honestly don’t know how much of a gain for the buck you could get out of a big bore kit on these little 150s.

I am running my 150s stock except for a better foam filter and have been really happy with the power they deliver. Get your used GY6 and CVT back to new condition and you may be surprised with the power.

Whatever you end up doing please share your experiences, it’s great to see others projects.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Howdy John,

Others have added more airflow (better filter-less restrictive muffler) but I would suggest checking your CVT unit. Depending on the age and use you could replace springs and/or weights to get better performance out of it. I would suggest you also check and if need be adjust the valves.

Member Weldangrind has a really good thread regarding your “Box” on the rear axle (reverse).

I honestly don’t know how much of a gain for the buck you could get out of a big bore kit on these little 150s.

I am running my 150s stock except for a better foam filter and have been really happy with the power they deliver. Get your used GY6 and CVT back to new condition and you may be surprised with the power.

Whatever you end up doing please share your experiences, it’s great to see others projects.

Thanks for the replies guys, i only mentioned the big bore kit due to installing them on alot of dirt bike motors ive worked on. I was ordering parts on my dealership account at multinationalparts.com and noticed there was a GY6 big bore kit for next to nothing and threw it on my next parts list i plan to order. But i may go with a whole new CVT unit, i can get the whole CVT setup with belt included for less than $80CAD, i may go with the smaller weight setup like mentioned also and see where that takes me.

I was actually just reading weldandgrinds thread you mentioned and im going to follow the instruction in it and service the box on the rear axle. This ATV is a 2007 and i know the previous owner is the original owner and never bothered with any kind of upgrades so im almost certain theres alot of parts warn out. I never got to see it running or taken it on a test drive until i installed the Donor CDI so i just assumed the Donor CDI had made is slower. This is my first GY6 motor ive worked on so it is a little new to me, hense why im asking opinions from those who know them a little better.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

The thread mentioned by Weldangrind...Can't locate it

Quote:
Howdy John,

Swampy...how you doin? Is there a link to the thread you mentioned? I couldn't get to it. Thanks

Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #6

Here is where Weldangrind first mentioned it.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13347

I know there is another where he has gone over that reverse unit.

Weldangrind, help..........

Old 06-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Thumbs Up check out this site

http://chineseatvperformance.blogspo...red-asian.html

there are tons of upgrades you can do to the 150cc gy6 engine that comes on most automatic f-n-r utility style chinese quads now a days. you can really open the thing up. its the engine style from a scooter, like those scooters they driev in foreign countries and stuff you see. so you can get plenty of upgrades, tips, and such on any scooter website. i basically did almost everything the guy talks about in the site i posted above. oh and yes you do feel a difference, and its customizable to the way you like to ride based on the wieghts in the variator and the springs in the clutch. go for it, ive basically upgraded everything but the carburetor because theres no point in getting a bigger carb if the intake on the head is still the same size. if you were to bore it out then i would go bigger on the carb. so hope this helps.http://www.chinariders.net/images/sm...cons_tmbs1.gif

Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Here is where Weldangrind first mentioned it.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13347

I know there is another where he has gone over that reverse unit.

Weldangrind, help..........
I'm here to serve: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=5989

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer