Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #1

Post Retirement Gig

DuKane ABATE said, "Get yer arse in here." So, I will be working at my first Drivers Ed course tomorrow. To start, I'll be shadowing the two current instructors and then going solo after a couple of months while getting the ABATE program into some of the rural high schools west of me.

In a nutshell, the program is 'Don't hit the person on the motorcycle.' The guys also want me to talk about my car/bike accident and how the relatively 'minor' injuries took almost 10 years to fully heal. Basically, scare the shit out of the kids.

I'll let you know how it went.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-30-2024, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
DuKane ABATE said, "Get yer arse in here." So, I will be working at my first Drivers Ed course tomorrow. To start, I'll be shadowing the two current instructors and then going solo after a couple of months while getting the ABATE program into some of the rural high schools west of me.

In a nutshell, the program is 'Don't hit the person on the motorcycle.' The guys also want me to talk about my car/bike accident and how the relatively 'minor' injuries took almost 10 years to fully heal. Basically, scare the shit out of the kids.

Awesome! Scare the living crap out of those little buggies. The minute one touches a phone. Sling it out the window.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-30-2024, 04:55 PM   #3

If you want to scare the kids ,throw in some gems from your former job !

Old 01-31-2024, 01:12 PM   #4

Good on you, cheesy. I had an entirely different attitude when I retired. At first I thought, "I'll get a part time gig at our local, small town hardware store." The owners love the retired guys to work part time and they'll keep your hours under effecting your Soc Sec.

Then it hit me... I spent my entire life fixing everyone else's sh$t! It's time to fix my own sh$t for a change!!! Between fixing my own sh$t, the property, and Mrs. 2LZ, I have no time for anything else.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-31-2024, 04:49 PM   #5

Today went pretty well. My part was mostly to observe, with a bit of input. I did explain my accident and I must have done a pretty good job of it because you could hear a pin drop when I was finished. Two more classes next week.

2LZ-The more I thought about the PT gig at NAPA, the less I liked it. We're both retired and if we want to hook up the trailer and take off for a few days, I don't want to have to ask the 30 year old manager for permission, then have to tell him to get bent.

The ABATE gig is all voluntary.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-31-2024, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Today went pretty well. My part was mostly to observe, with a bit of input. I did explain my accident and I must have done a pretty good job of it because you could hear a pin drop when I was finished. Two more classes next week.

2LZ-The more I thought about the PT gig at NAPA, the less I liked it. We're both retired and if we want to hook up the trailer and take off for a few days, I don't want to have to ask the 30 year old manager for permission, then have to tell him to get bent.

The ABATE gig is all voluntary.
I predict a sentence will come out of your mouth within the year. "How did I ever find the time for a full-time job!?" LOL!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-31-2024, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I predict a sentence will come out of your mouth within the year. "How did I ever find the time for a full-time job!?" LOL!
Both my parents said that they wondered when they ever had time to work after they retired.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-01-2024, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Both my parents said that they wondered when they ever had time to work after they retired.
Yep. My other saying.... "Retirement. You still get up and go to work every day. You just don't get paid anymore."

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-05-2024, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:

Lol why does Charis Farley spring into my mind?

Make it a combination of Matt Foley + Scared Straight