Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Off road riding's future..

I've been riding off trail/dirt since the late 60's. Back then it was no problem finding areas to ride, legal and some not so much so. But unless you did something really stupid practically no one bothered you. That was then.. After deciding to get another dirt/street duo bike a couple of weeks ago I started pondering " Ok, you're getting one, where are you going to ride it ? " I'm looking at the old spots ( pipelines, power lines etc ) and they not only have it posted, they have some serious barricades in place which I'm taking a whole lot more seriously than I did 40 plus years ago.. I'll be researching just what areas are left. I have 4 acres, 3 heavily wooded and 1 cleared for the most part. That's not enough area..

Any major problems where you guys are ?

Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

quite similar here. for trail riding, space is going away. forest service roads are still and option here. Lots of them off the blueridge parkway and in western NC. my Hawk was a good option because I could run plates and be on "public" roads without concerns.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
quite similar here. for trail riding, space is going away. forest service roads are still and option here. Lots of them off the blueridge parkway and in western NC. my Hawk was a good option because I could run plates and be on "public" roads without concerns.

I fully agree the duel purpose of the bike is a big plus. Assuming the distance is reasonable, part of the fun is riding whether on the street or not ( not so much unless its' not traveled heavily. ) The plus comes in when you hit the dirt. It would be a shame if the second part of the bike's appeal couldn't be utilized because of land issues..

Old 02-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #4

Oh too true !! You’re so right. Years ago big boy rules applied if you screwed up YOU ONLY were responsible for your actions. Slip and fall scum of the earth lawyer’s made life for everyone much worse. Free money for your inability to ride a bike. No property owner wants the headache so they just post the land and say see it’s HIS fault.... which it was all along. Those nice places to safe and easy to explore are all but gone. A dual sport bike can open up the last hidden gems. But theses too are difficult to find.

West of the Mississippi the land opens up “some” states have some good trail systems some none at all. Use google earth to your advantage

Most importantly tread lightly and be respectful! Some of the old coal mining land the owners don’t know or care until you make it their problem.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 02-06-2020, 04:18 AM   #5

I'd look up the TAT (trans America trail) and BDRs. They're specified trails that allow you to traverse a state. There isn't a bunch out east, but there are a couple.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #6

Move west if you want good riding. There are many thousands of miles of trails both in Oregon where I spend summers and Arizona where I spend winters. BLM and national forest makes up most.of the land. You can often ride a whole day and not see another person.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

There's a fair amount of places to go here in central VA. Nothing compared to CO though. The thing here is you need to find places to in the national Forest etc. Or know people with land to ride on. Something that I've had trouble getting info on is roads that should be public right of way, but have No trespassing posted. Remember signs arn't law. But you need to know your in the right.
1991 Voyager XII

Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #8

Check on Rider Planet https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...vania_list.htm
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #9

There have been numerous trails traversing Arizona's western 3 counties in the deserts and higher elevations. Recently, several organizations have 'packaged' these trails into the Arizona Peace Trail which is a large 750 mile loop in Mohave, La Paz ('La Paz' means 'peace' in Spanish and is the unofficial start of the trail, hence calling it the AZ Peace Trail), and Yuma counties. They received funding via grants from the State of Arizona and other places which went to putting signs and whatnot making the trail easier for what I understand their main target demographic to traverse--snowbirds. While Arizona has numerous snowbirds 'flocking' here (see Mudflap above), this gives them one more reason to keep coming here. Many have quads or side by sides, so taking a 5 day loop around the trail keeps the interest up.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #10

Still lots of riding in southeastern Ohio, but that's do to a very poor economy. There's a lot of reclaimed coal mining land that isn't fit for anything else do to sulphur water. Even from my back door I have miles of intense trails to ride. It's owned by 3 different people, but as long as they know you you're good to go. And I don't leave any beer cans or trash and I'm respectful of their hunting season.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 02-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Plenty of mud, creeks, and insanely steep hills to climb. 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1581621162055.jpg (96.1 KB, 505 views)
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

There used to be a lot of riding on the old coal fields around Centraila ?( yes, the one that continues to burn in Penna.. ) no idea if they tolerate riders in there like they used to.. That was around 40 years ago.... I think those mines are closed but they still have the signs up. One of those " if you get hurt, we told you not to ride here " but they never patrolled the area or had any kind of enforcement in place.
the area..

Old 02-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #13

NoBs there was some just epic trails around Centraila, just amazing to explore. And then you notice the NJ NY tags on trailers parked EVERYWHERE. It would get so bad on the weekends it’s like a mad max movie. PSP and local LE and even hired security got really thick. Closed most places off. All this came to a head cause of drunken quad riders on the old Graffiti Highway (real thing google it) well he wrecked good enough for a helicopter ride and that was it.

Anyway if you know where to look or use google earth you’ll see a lifetime of great rides close. Street legal bike goes along way Vs a 2 stroke on county roads as far as being left alone. Truly epic area to dual sport.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
NoBs there was some just epic trails around Centraila, just amazing to explore. And then you notice the NJ NY tags on trailers parked EVERYWHERE. It would get so bad on the weekends it’s like a mad max movie. PSP and local LE and even hired security got really thick. Closed most places off. All this came to a head cause of drunken quad riders on the old Graffiti Highway (real thing google it) well he wrecked good enough for a helicopter ride and that was it.

Anyway if you know where to look or use google earth you’ll see a lifetime of great rides close. Street legal bike goes along way Vs a 2 stroke on county roads as far as being left alone. Truly epic area to dual sport.
It's a tad over an hour from my house to Centraila, we make it almost every year to see if their are any houses left. When the last person in the household dies the government comes in and demolishes the building so fast it's unbelievable. Then some ground over the top and poof.. gone. There was a Catholic church on the west side of the road for a time. I was hoping they would move it since it was in great condition.. Nope, next year it was gone... Last time we were there there couldn't have been more than 6 or 8 homes left... And strangely there was no smoke anywhere like there was since we have been coming up.. Some say the fire is past where the town is... others say it has simply gone deeper. When I was taking LEO classes in Allentown Pa, they had a patch wall with patches from all over the USA.. one of the most coveted was the patch from Centraila..

Old 01-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #15

Nice going to have to check it out. Thanks