Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #1

Zongshen Breakout

Anyone else see potential in this?

It sits on 12" tires like the Grom/Z125 and has roughly the same dimensions but has a 150cc engine. Same 150cc engine that CSC was able to swap out for the bigger TT250 230cc engine to make the CSC250CR Cafe Racer. IF the Breakout could fit the TT250 engine then you have the potential for a unique mini bike with a not so mini engine.

http://en.zongshenmotor.com/product/...lang=en&id=334

Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Very interesting model. The US will be getting a 150cc mini with a vertical engine via American Lifan; not as aggressive-looking as the Zongshen, but same idea. I believe the Lifan bike will out-Grom the Grom due to its 5-speed transmission and extra horsepower, whereas the clones that are already on the market (i.e. SSR, Boom International, Ice Bear) are merely wanabees with a 125cc horizontal engine and 4-speed. Also, it has a claimed 12 hp vs. even the 10 claimed for the Zongshen. If the Lifan bike picks up sales and proves popular, I am sure there might be a push to bring the Zongshen model over here, too.

http://americanlifan.com/kp-mini/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

What an ugly exhaust muffler on that thing ("Organ like exhaust, with elegant appearance and extraordinary charm")

The bigger TT250 engine might not be worth fitting it to the frame... the bike is already pushing 12hp and 11.5 nm of torque from the small 149cc engine... slightly higher compression, better cylinder/intake port design, etc...

I'm betting with a good tune and aftermarket (free flowing) intake/exhaust that little 149 engine will give the TT250 a run for it's $$... while sipping on 1/3 the amount of fuel the TT does

Other than that exhaust muffler... it looks like a fun/great little bike from the pics and info Zong provides if it's priced right and makes it to America... it will be hard to keep one out of my stable

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

AZHULE--Lifan will be sending their mini with a 150cc engine in 2017. Have you considered it? It is less aggressive-looking than the Zongshen, but has the 12hp engine out of its vertical 150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KPMini-sideright.jpg (63.4 KB, 1920 views)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #5

I still prefer the 16 HP and 13.5ft-lbs of the TT250 engine. It would blow the 10 and 12 HP mini's out of the water. I think the breakout might come in lighter then the Lifan even with the 230cc motor. Plus imagine how much weight you could save by taking the ugly triple pipes off!

Below is a table comparing the Grom, Z125, Breakout with 230cc engine & KP Mini
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini's.jpg (87.1 KB, 2080 views)

Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I believe the Lifan bike will out-Grom the Grom due to its 5-speed transmission and extra horsepower, whereas the clones that are already on the market (i.e. SSR, Boom International, Ice Bear) are merely wanabees with a 125cc horizontal engine and 4-speed. Also, it has a claimed 12 hp vs. even the 10 claimed for the Zongshen.

http://americanlifan.com/kp-mini/
It gets confusing because there are two Zongshen mini's - Breakout & Rapido (7.8HP) which is also a clone of the Grom. The Lifan KP looks like a 1st Gen Grom with a vertical engine. I like that the Breakout looks as much like a Duke as it does a Grom. It's not so much a clone as it is it's own unique and imo improved design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakout.jpg (102.4 KB, 2663 views)

Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #7

The Rapido I was familiar with--TMEC was supposed to start selling a near identical bike (I am guessing they purchased the parts from Zongshen or one of its suppliers) but with a 125 4 speed auto clutch form. I even saw one on youtube with the guy selling it out of Atlanta. However, Sunright, the distributor for TMEC bikes and others, have not had them in stock. Not to mention, their site shows the Rapido-looking mini, but the detail photos seem to show the Boom International Vader. I would hate to think I am getting the Rapido-looking bike, but end up with a Vader!!

http://www.sunright.net/linhai-scooters/denali-125%20FX

Lifan has been showing their KP bike for a while now (they used to show quite a few articles on the old American Lifan site about that bike in various situations, including a bunch in race form, and another a guy was doing a blog riding from China through Thailand). I have grown to really like it, and see the potential for a low budget one-make race series (like pit bikes with motard wheels on go-kart tracks--Pitster has numerous videos/photos of their pit bikes on go-kart tracks) using KP Minis. My guess is Zongshen wanted in on this niche (niche being vertical singles/5-speeds) seeing at how popular the KP Mini has become worldwide. As far as larger engines go--Lifan has those, too.

As far as looks go, the Zongshen looks great, but SSR (Yingang OEM) and Ice Bear's Little Monster, already have that look--with the frame showing on both their bikes. However, the Zongshen is obviously more powerful and has one more gear.

It will be interesting to see a head to head comparison of the two bikes, but Zongshen would need their US importer, CSC, to bring them in, or another distributor. Lifan is doing their own distribution, and their bikes are coming. Again, as far as larger engines are concerned, it would be interesting to see both brands with bigger engines. And another head to head comparison...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #8

I like this version of the grom styled bikes..
A set of 50/50 tyres & off around the world yer go...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

Lol "Adventure Grom"

Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I like this version of the grom styled bikes..
A set of 50/50 tyres & off around the world yer go...
I remember seeing photos of this prototype, or ones like it, from Honda. I believe one of the prototypes might have had little dual-sport tires?!

There was a guy from France (I believe) on Advrider a couple years back who rode his Grom all over Europe, but not necessarily off-road. He did several thousand km's/miles from what I remember. His bike was loaded all kinds of ways--he definitely could have used the luggage like this prototype has!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #11

Lets just hope the prototype doesn't have passenger pegs, poor poor Grom riding the alps.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #12

I like that triple exhaust. Reminds me of an MV Augusta.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #13

Something about a single cylinder engine with multiple tail pipes makes me cringe, similar a 4 cylinder Mustang. It has the look to initially impress but once you look closer its all disappointment. Slap 2 more cylinders on her and I'd say its not bad for stock exhaust. I guess to me it seems dishonest and unnecessary.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

If CSC were able to shoehorn the 250 in that frame I'd be all over that bike.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
If CSC were able to shoehorn the 250 in that frame I'd be all over that bike.
My thoughts exactly, I really want one. It would be a instant Grom killer. Plus I bet it would be a blast on the bigger outdoor kart tracks.