Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2023, 08:03 PM   #1

Hawk 250 DLX question

I have not posted in a while but I'm sorta an OG here with my 2015 hawk. I still have it and ride it with my family on the trails in NH. My wife and kid have brand new Hondas which are great and I was about to drop about $7000 on a 300L for me when I noticed I don't see a kick start on the Honda CRF300L.

Which brings me back here, should I save $5,000 and get a hawk DLX, with fuel injection because I really like the idea of a kick starter?

Wisdom from the tribe is appreciated. BTW I will always keep my 2015 hawk. I love it and it is a perfect buddy bike to lend to a friend who wants to ride but doesn't have a bike.

TIA
Tony

Old 04-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #2

I would spend a little more and look at a gpx fse 250e. If you don't need street legal that is.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer13k View Post
I would spend a little more and look at a gpx fse 250e. If you don't need street legal that is.
Yeah kinda looking to plate it. My 2015 hawk is played and I kinda like the option to take it on the street without being hassled.

Thank you for the input, didn't know about the GPX.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:28 PM   #4

Welcome back.

Most bikes are ditching the kick starter now that everything is electronic. Ye old kick start of old with the AC cdi and a carburetor, and not even a battery in most cases are just gone with the wind. Heck, i have yet to even use it in a legitimate scenario on my Hawk. Last time I could have tried to kick it over I just bump started it with the clutch.

Middle ground between a Hawk and the CRF300. have you looked at the Lifan KPX 250? Less than half the price of the CRF, and has EFI and a 6 speed gearbox so it can do both highway runs AND off road without compromising the gearing.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #5

Or the templar they have a street legal variant and it has the ohc 6 speed motor.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Welcome back.

Most bikes are ditching the kick starter now that everything is electronic. Ye old kick start of old with the AC cdi and a carburetor, and not even a battery in most cases are just gone with the wind. Heck, i have yet to even use it in a legitimate scenario on my Hawk. Last time I could have tried to kick it over I just bump started it with the clutch.

Middle ground between a Hawk and the CRF300. have you looked at the Lifan KPX 250? Less than half the price of the CRF, and has EFI and a 6 speed gearbox so it can do both highway runs AND off road without compromising the gearing.
MEGA DAN!!!! Dude great to see that name. Did you ever get back the stolen hawk. Man did the community pull together for that. I see Jerry is still here. Yeah my wife is pressuring me to get a Honda. She has a CRF125 and my son just got a CRF110. Both fuel injected E start but also a kick starter.I might just get the 300L and bump it if the battery is ever flat.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I have not posted in a while but I'm sorta an OG here with my 2015 hawk. I still have it and ride it with my family on the trails in NH. My wife and kid have brand new Hondas which are great and I was about to drop about $7000 on a 300L for me when I noticed I don't see a kick start on the Honda CRF300L.

Which brings me back here, should I save $5,000 and get a hawk DLX, with fuel injection because I really like the idea of a kick starter?

Wisdom from the tribe is appreciated. BTW I will always keep my 2015 hawk. I love it and it is a perfect buddy bike to lend to a friend who wants to ride but doesn't have a bike.

TIA
Tony
Hey there, pistolclass, I have the Hawk DLX and it seems to be a great bike! My thoughts would be money, if you want something nicer like the Honda and use it great, but for me and the limited times I’ll use it the Hawk will do! Thinking outloud here. Kick starter shouldn’t be an issue with buying a bike these days.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #8

The 6 speed Templar X has a DC CDI box. And yes, the starter is gone.

Templar M has the 5 speed which comes with an AC CDI, and it still has the kick starter. This is the ZS172FMM-3 249cc OHC engine (20hp). It is really a dependable powerplant. $1650 at PSM (plus $300 shipping). Lots of info here on how to set it up.