Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

17 tooth sprocket and Stock chain/rear sprocket??

i am in the process of setting up my new Tao TBR7 (probably applies to the Hawk as well) and I greased the rear swing arm and shock pivot points and all was going well....

i put on a 17 tooth sprocket in the front and figured i would try it with the stock chain and stock rear sprocket (46 teeth i think) and see how that gearing is BUT.....

..... the stock chain just did not seem to be long enough but it was really really close ....as in only one sprocket tooth off.... 99% sure the rear axle was as far forward as it would go....

do they fit together? did i do something wrong?

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 03-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #2

Hey Kenny,

I have a 2019 model... let's assume\hope the specs are the same ( if you have a 2020 model ).

I have the same setup, stock chain. stock rear sprocket, swapped for the 17 tooth.

I had to completely loosen the rear axle bolt, fully loosen the alignment adjusters and then I had a hell of a time getting the chain onto the front sprocket with the rear wheel pushed all the way forward.

I struggled with it for 30 mins and finally got it on.

Once it was one, it provides just enough loose chain play to what I would deem acceptable, obviously the chain will stretch a little bit.

Important to note that my chain is not pulled completely tight with this set up, it is just enough slack.

If you manage to get your chain on and see that it has no play to it... its a no go and you need a new chain or you will sheer off those rear sprocket bolts ..everyone seems to be doing that.

Could even be a small thing like the 17 tooth I have is slightly smaller compared to the one you have.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Hey Kenny,

I have a 2019 model... let's assume\hope the specs are the same ( if you have a 2020 model ).

I have the same setup, stock chain. stock rear sprocket, swapped for the 17 tooth.

I had to completely loosen the rear axle bolt, fully loosen the alignment adjusters and then I had a hell of a time getting the chain onto the front sprocket with the rear wheel pushed all the way forward.

I struggled with it for 30 mins and finally got it on.

Once it was one, it provides just enough loose chain play to what I would deem acceptable, obviously the chain will stretch a little bit.

Important to note that my chain is not pulled completely tight with this set up, it is just enough slack.

If you manage to get your chain on and see that it has no play to it... its a no go and you need a new chain or you will sheer off those rear sprocket bolts ..everyone seems to be doing that.

Could even be a small thing like the 17 tooth I have is slightly smaller compared to the one you have.
thanks KoQ.....yea i have a 2020 and its pretty close but no cigar..... it may fit after the chain has stretched a bit or if i get the smaller rear sprocket.... i am swapping out those rear sprocket bolts with honda one anyway....maybe i'll do the chain, sprocket and bolts...

. for now i just put back on the 15 tooth sprocket...

Old 03-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

17 tooth in my opinion gives you a slightly taller 2nd gear and 3rd gear.

I won't comment on 1st gear because I'm basically in 2nd by the time I pull out of my 10 foot driveway

My point being, staying with the 15 tooth wont ruin your day.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

add another master link. put it on front sprocket first then start it on the rear and spin the rear wheel.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
add another master link. put it on front sprocket first then start it on the rear and spin the rear wheel.
that might work too....li did order the 45 tooth rear and think that'd do it....guess i will see... i will keep that in mind though for future use