Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

You had the ugly SV650. I would have ditched it too lol. They are good bikes though, and not hard to get for cheap like you did. Probably one of the best affordable starter bikes out there.

Personally, I like having a powerful dedicated street bike. That is why I have my VFR1200. It gets to 130 about as fast as that SV650 gets to 80, and it's dead stable at that speed. It's a different kind of riding, but it is still very fun ( at least to me). I do understand the fun of a dual sport though, which is why I got my Hawk. It's less serious, more fun, and more versatile.

That KTM is nice though, and I would say you picked it up for a steal. Even the plastics don't look too bad from a distance, so I can only assume that they are broken in a few spots. You could try a little plastic welding on those to keep it affordable for now before springing for new ones.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You had the ugly SV650. I would have ditched it too lol. They are good bikes though, and not hard to get for cheap like you did. Probably one of the best affordable starter bikes out there.

Personally, I like having a powerful dedicated street bike. That is why I have my VFR1200. It gets to 130 about as fast as that SV650 gets to 80, and it's dead stable at that speed. It's a different kind of riding, but it is still very fun ( at least to me). I do understand the fun of a dual sport though, which is why I got my Hawk. It's less serious, more fun, and more versatile.

That KTM is nice though, and I would say you picked it up for a steal. Even the plastics don't look too bad from a distance, so I can only assume that they are broken in a few spots. You could try a little plastic welding on those to keep it affordable for now before springing for new ones.

I didnt think it was too bad looking of a bike. You could buy a full fairing kit for it but I didnt really mind. And ya like i said if i had the room and the money Id have me a couple super sports to take out every once and awhile. They ride real smooth and balanced like no other, plus there's nothing like having that power at your finger tips. The SV wasnt that bad of a bike and I got it at pretty much brand new and cheap. And it sure was light on turns.

But as my primary riding bike i found myself not really riding it for fun and used it to run errands and get to work (5min drive) over the summer and also didnt like the stress of potentially getting a ticket or getting into an accident because I sure as hell got bored going along with traffic and you cant help but speed on those bikes. I ended up hauling my little pit bike out to the woods more than I road the sv, and thats how i learned Im a dirt rider through and through lol. But i do enjoy, the convenience, of being able to use the roads (legally) also.

I'll probably just get new plastics and a new decal kit. I can get all that for a little over $100 and will make her look gorgeous.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Have some long, straight, and mostly deserted roads out here to wheelie down... who wants to lend me their HAWK, I'll provide the camera

Nice "throttle control", short/smooth blips to keep you where you need to be you could have easily went further by the looks of your throttle technique and the length of the road still left

Corrections with the throttle are sometimes necessary however, once you find the sweet spot you shouldn't have to mess with it. The balance point is the critical issue. If you stand on the pegs instead of sitting you can adjust your body instead of the throttle.. Also, find a deserted uphill blacktop road with a few slight left and right hand turns on it. Really develops technique shifting your body weight and much easier to get it to the balance point.. And stay with it.. Muscle/body memory tends to fade over the years. Ask me how I know.. : )

Old 02-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #19

what most people dont tell you is you can still steer the bike while up in the air by turning the front wheel as you can see him doing in the video. in the late 70's i was doing figure eights on the the back wheel at speed in third gear on my yamaha mx 125 out in a big pasture. also helps to let the front wheel keep spinning like a gyroscope.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
what most people dont tell you is you can still steer the bike while up in the air by turning the front wheel as you can see him doing in the video. in the late 70's i was doing figure eights on the the back wheel at speed in third gear on my yamaha mx 125 out in a big pasture. also helps to let the front wheel keep spinning like a gyroscope.

Just turning wheel the isn't going to do it. It's the body weight shifting positions that you were doing that turned the bike for you.... Never got to figure 8's but did enjoy the slight left and right turns you can make, especially easy if its a slight uphill. Longest wheelie ? Depends on how much stamina you have although anything longer than a mile just didn't work for me.. There was a guy who billed himself as the " Wheelie King " many years ago who I personally watched go up and down hills, around corners etc on the Unidella MotoCross track in New York State. He had a gyroscopic front wheel, always spinning, not sure how that was accomplished. I believe there may have had international riders competing. It was a big deal... Haven't kept up with it, don't even know if the track still exists. I hope its not a housing development.. : (