Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #1

To read or not to read...

Is there any question?

I really enjoy reading, so I thought I'd post a few of my recent favorites and ask that you share a few of yours.

Discussion is welcome!

My current book is "Hot, Flat and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a bit of insight into our world today and the future of our planet. It examines the convergence of global warming, a growing population and the economic "flattening" of the past decade.

This is his newest book, taking into account our current economic situation...quoting people and events of only a few months ago.

"The World is Flat" - Another book by Friedman. This one examines the "flattening" of the world by the internet and advances in technology. Everything from FedEx and UPS to opensource software like Linux.

I read it a few years ago and found it extremely interesting. I'm not sure if it would be best to read this before his newest book, or not. It does help in the understanding of the "flattening" he refers to in the new book, but since the flattening is only a part of his new book, I don't think of this book as "required" reading to understand the new book.

Another author with a couple of books I found really interesting is Malcolm Gladwell. These books are focused on people.

"Blink" - The more recent of the two...looks at something he calls "thin slicing". Which is the ability to obtain a large amount of information in the "blink" of an eye.

One example is a study he details about married couples who are filmed for a short period of time discussing trivial things, and how the study of those short films revealed an amazingly accurate prediction of the success or failure of the relationship.

The ability of policemen to "slow" the events of a shootout so they see where each of their bullets go and gather information. Similar to the way a car accident seems to last minutes instead of seconds.

I've read the book twice now, and I love thinking about this type of stuff. Very interesting to me.

His previous book is called "Tipping Point". It looks at the various ways an idea or event can "tip" in one direction or the other. He describes the different types of people involved in starting or tipping an idea into a trend or epidemic.

Not quite as interesting to me as "Blink", but still an interesting new way to consider the people around me and the roles they play.

And since all threads are better with a picture, here's one my sister took of me when I rode down to her place last month. The connection here is that she bought me the new Thomas Friedman book for my birthday.

What books do you enjoy or recommend?
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #2

Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
copyright 1936, ISBN 0-671-72365-0

Jerry Hopkins, Danny Sugarman "No One Here Gets Out Alive" the biography of Jim Morison
copyright 1985, ISBN 10: 0446602280

Antoine de Saint-Exupery "Wind, Sand and Stars"
copyright 1937, ISBN: 0140187677

All of Richard Bach ...especially "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"
copyright 1970, ISBN 0-380-01286-3

...Just a few of the 100s of titles I perused :wink:
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

I used to read a lot. Then for years I just read text books. Geography, weather, astronamy. My mom used to get old University books, and I got em for free. I'll read anything on building homes. For the last 15 years or so I've done most of my learning via the Net. Now when I get a chance I just read you guys.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #4

Fiction.

Political, mystery, human interaction, etc.

David Worthington AKA John LeCarre -- probably the best book I have ever read, "The Honourable Schoolboy"

Tom Clancy, and the guy that wrote all the legal thrillers, The Client, Pelican Bay, etc Can't think of his name.

Crichton, of Jurrasic Park, et al

Luke, 11: 21

Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #5

I don't read books that much. I mostly read articles of subjects that I'm interested in. However there are two books that I have really enjoyed.

Alone. A book about Admiral Byrds exploration of Anartica

Courage? by Ambrose. I don't think I got name right but it's about Lewis and Clark.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #6

Myself, I enjoy:

Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond, master of the "thriiler" genre.

Jack Higgins when he's writing wonderful stuff like "The Eagle has Landed" instead of formula-crap like "Night Judgement"

Clive Cussler before he Started writing the crap he's written since 1994.

Allistair McLean: The plot is basic 60's spy vs. spy, but the characters are so wonderfully broken, flawed, and realistic that you forget how predictable the book is...

ChinaRiders.net: Wonderful, Full rich Characters with a multitude of globe-trotting settings and fancy gadgets, although sometimes the plot eludes me...

--Vince

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Myself, I enjoy:

Allistair McLean: The plot is basic 60's spy vs. spy, but the characters are so wonderfully broken, flawed, and realistic that you forget how predictable the book is...

--Vince
Hollywood did his books no justice

I've read about 90% of his novels!

Some of my favs are: Ice Station Zebra, Bear Island, The Golden Gate and South By Java Head.

He is THE best who-done-it writer that I have ever read.

Stay literate,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.