Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #16

So just curious... why would you buy anything except the Benelli TNT135? It's faster, bigger, and better than all the other minibikes, including the Grom itself.

Charles.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
So just curious... why would you buy anything except the Benelli TNT135? It's faster, bigger, and better than all the other minibikes, including the Grom itself.

Charles.
Probably should just make this discussion a different thread... but...

Reasons people got the Grom Clone

1. TNT 135 was not out at the time the Grom Clones were first out.
2. Grom clones can use Grom Plastics and parts other than engine stuff. Makes finding replacement parts a LOT easier.
3. Grom clones are SUPER cheap. Before the pandemic, you could buy one on some websites for under $1000. TNT135 is not that cheap.
4. Grom clone takes a 190CC swap. Which is direct bolt-in and plug and play swap. The 190CC takes a bore kit that makes it 212CC. The TNT135 bore kit makes it a 155cc. No larger bore kits available for the TNT135. The nc450 swap that's been done on the TNT135 is around 8K. MUCH more expensive than the Grom clone.
5. Grom clones use pit bike engines. This makes parts SUPER easy to find as most are based on the Honda CRF50 engine not to mention TONS of Chinese made pit bikes.

Reasons to get the TNT135.

1. Fuel injected.
2. Bigger front forks.
3. 5-speed.
4. Actual Trellis frame (much stronger).

Now before anyone thinks I have a bias towards the Grom Clones... I don't. I've owned one. It was fun to tinker with. I sold it.

I wrote this guide as a way to consolidate all the information I had found/researched/put together/figured out myself. That's pretty much it. The guide is NOT a comparison of the Grom clone to the Grom, Z125, TNT135, KP Mini, etc etc.

Just simply a guide.

My personal opinion on the minibikes...

If you want to tinker. Are mechanically inclined/savvy. Have the patience to tune a carb and diagnose issues. A Grom clone isn't that bad.

If you just want to get on the bike and ride it... probably look somewhere else. Like the TNT135, Grom, Z125.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:37 PM   #18

Quote:

Charles.

price $3000
dealer fee $500
Tax 250
estimated total $3750 out the door

soooooo there's THAT

Old 03-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
Probably should just make this discussion a different thread... but...

Reasons people got the Grom Clone

1. TNT 135 was not out at the time the Grom Clones were first out.
2. Grom clones can use Grom Plastics and parts other than engine stuff. Makes finding replacement parts a LOT easier.
3. Grom clones are SUPER cheap. Before the pandemic, you could buy one on some websites for under $1000. TNT135 is not that cheap.
4. Grom clone takes a 190CC swap. Which is direct bolt-in and plug and play swap. The 190CC takes a bore kit that makes it 212CC. The TNT135 bore kit makes it a 155cc. No larger bore kits available for the TNT135. The nc450 swap that's been done on the TNT135 is around 8K. MUCH more expensive than the Grom clone.
5. Grom clones use pit bike engines. This makes parts SUPER easy to find as most are based on the Honda CRF50 engine not to mention TONS of Chinese made pit bikes.

Reasons to get the TNT135.

1. Fuel injected.
2. Bigger front forks.
3. 5-speed.
4. Actual Trellis frame (much stronger).

Now before anyone thinks I have a bias towards the Grom Clones... I don't. I've owned one. It was fun to tinker with. I sold it.

I wrote this guide as a way to consolidate all the information I had found/researched/put together/figured out myself. That's pretty much it. The guide is NOT a comparison of the Grom clone to the Grom, Z125, TNT135, KP Mini, etc etc.

Just simply a guide.

My personal opinion on the minibikes...

If you want to tinker. Are mechanically inclined/savvy. Have the patience to tune a carb and diagnose issues. A Grom clone isn't that bad.

If you just want to get on the bike and ride it... probably look somewhere else. Like the TNT135, Grom, Z125.
exactly. Is the TNT a better bike? Without a doubt. Is the TNT three times the price as the chinese mini's? Yes it is.

Most people buy the chinese bikes because they are CHEAP. We understand the maintenance and the consequences that will come with the purchase.

My Vader was $1300 out the door. If it burns to the ground, I won't care. If I drop it, I won't care. If someone steals it, I won't care. If I get 2 weeks of riding, that justifies the money spent.

Try saying that about a bike that costs $4000+++

Old 03-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddagrom View Post

price $3000
dealer fee $500
Tax 250
estimated total $3750 out the door

soooooo there's THAT
Heh, my dealer does a lot better than that. Honda Suzuki of Sanford are the best dealership I've ever come across.

Charles

Old 03-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddagrom View Post
exactly. Is the TNT a better bike? Without a doubt. Is the TNT three times the price as the chinese mini's? Yes it is.

Most people buy the chinese bikes because they are CHEAP. We understand the maintenance and the consequences that will come with the purchase.

My Vader was $1300 out the door. If it burns to the ground, I won't care. If I drop it, I won't care. If someone steals it, I won't care. If I get 2 weeks of riding, that justifies the money spent.

Try saying that about a bike that costs $4000+++

Okay, makes sense to me. I was looking at minibikes briefly but ended up with an SSR Buccaneer 250i for less money and way more power. I get how the cost can push a person in that direction. I just can't see ordering a bike from amazon and hoping that I'm not being lied to and it can actually be registered and ridden on the street legally. Because without that it's entirely a waste of money.

Charles.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Okay, makes sense to me. I was looking at minibikes briefly but ended up with an SSR Buccaneer 250i for less money and way more power. I get how the cost can push a person in that direction. I just can't see ordering a bike from amazon and hoping that I'm not being lied to and it can actually be registered and ridden on the street legally. Because without that it's entirely a waste of money.

Charles.
very far from the truth. the Vader gen2 can even be registered in states like CA. Which BTW is the worst state for strict emissions laws.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #23

does anyone know if the foot peg brackets from a Grom would be compatible with a Vader? the brackets from a 2015 Grom look basically identical to the ones on the bike already, even the bolt holes.