Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Ok, let's make one change at a time, but that's after eliminating fuel delivery. Are you using a fuel filter?

I'd start with the pilot mixture screw backed out 1.5 turns.
sounds like a plan. No fuel filter at this time. didn't figure I'd need it for a new bike.

I will install one and then check fuel delivery to the carb.

if fuel delivery is good, I'll remove the carb, reset the pilot to 1.5 and verify jets are all clear.

all starting efforts with air box connected?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I used the original cap from the other carb rather than taking the cable out of it and installing in the cap that came with the new carb. it was easy to figure out how to attach the throttle to the new slide.
No kidding? My new Mikuni didn't even come close to fitting the old slide cap on my 167FMM PZ carb.
Are you using the original (China PZ) slide then in the new Mikuni and not the new Mikuni slide?
This could be an issue....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
No kidding? My new Mikuni didn't even come close to fitting the old slide cap on my 167FMM PZ carb.
Are you using the original (China PZ) slide then in the new Mikuni and not the new Mikuni slide?
This could be an issue....
used the new slide. just used the old cap that the throttle cable feeds through with the boot on it.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #49

The old carb cap and the new carb cap. They must both have the same type of rubber boot. Either a straight short nipple or a longer elbow bent nipple. If not the same this throws off how the carb slide and throttle work together. There is a name for each type of application but the names are escaping me at the moment.

Your throttle cable will either be too long or too short depending on which way you criss cross the different boots.

/

Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
The old carb cap and the new carb cap. They must both have the same type of rubber boot. Either a straight short nipple or a longer elbow bent nipple. If not the same this throws off how the carb slide and throttle work together. There is a name for each type of application but the names are escaping me at the moment.

Your throttle cable will either be too long or too short depending on which way you criss cross the different boots.

/
thanks. I will double check and take some pics

Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #51

Have you checked your valve clearance. I checked mine before even turning it over and they were both way off, the intake was tight and the exhaust very loose. My bike is still bone stock and starts and runs well. It will cruise at 55 and has a top speed of 62(indicated).

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #52

Talk about stupid!

Let me just inform everyone that the fuel gauge on these bikes are NOT to be trusted! mine says I have about 2/3 of a tank. my issue was no fuel to the carbs. Put it on reserve and the bike started right up.

might be possible that the petcock has a clog though, so I'll be checking that out. Also plan to check valves just to be sure.

In the mean time, here's what I have going on. starts on choke and got it adjusted on idle after the motor warmed up. No issues with the engine speed coming back down after twisting the throttle. all in all, it's ok.

the down side....the bike is not running well at higher speeds. At about 45 MPH, it seems to start hesitating. It feels like if I give it more throttle it choaks. it doesn't have the same feel as the original carb which ran, but seemed like it was sputtering at 55. this one is more like a hesitation type of feeling and you can't coax it above 45. when not under load, it revs higher without a problem.. Is it possible its too much fuel?

I have not adjusted anything on the carb from what I stated below. 115/30 jets, pilot at 1 2/3 turns and needle at 2nd position from the top.

pilot back to 1 1/2? 120 main? NOS? turbo?

but hey....at least it's running!!!!!

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-11-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #53

Gas works!
Boy....with that jetting it should be running great. Ride it for a while and then check the plug to see how it's running. I think it needs a valve check and MILES more than anything for a while. These do change how they do run over the course of a couple oil changes. Don't try to nail down perfection until it loosens up.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #54

fair enough. changing the sprockets next to get better gearing. will do valve check/adjust too.

will ride it a bit and see how things progress.

it does well to 45 right now, but when I try to twist the throttle more, it starts to choke.

I need some warmer weather to ride now!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #55

X2 on valves.

I'd still install a fuel filter. If you can, try to select one that is made in USA, because I've seen cheap filters separate at the glue line. Not good.

I like clear filters. Remember that they have a directional arrow, and they are available in straight or 90 degree designs to suit your needs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer