Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #3916

Detours, I'm also glad to hear that your wife wasn't hurt.

I would also like to learn more about her TU250X; if you have time, please start a thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #3917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...I encourage you to not look at the speed as you change gears, for two reasons. The first is that you'll end up spending too much time looking at the speedometer, instead of keeping your head up. The second is that you should allow yourself to feel what the engine needs; the bike will become an extension of you, and you'll instinctively know which gear to choose and when. The basics are don't lug the engine, and don't wind it out too much. Anything in the middle is fair game.

You're doing great! Have fun.
That is superb advice.

Always keep your head and eyes up while riding a motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #3918

Quote:
Detours, I'm also glad to hear that your wife wasn't hurt.

I would also like to learn more about her TU250X; if you have time, please start a thread.
X2; the TU250X is a sweet little motorcycle. We love reading about other bikes in our Other Brands Forum.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #3919

I don't like to ride with others, unless we all have helmet communicators.

You and your wife should definitely have them. Waaaaay safer to be able to communicate what you are doing and what you see on the road. It's the same thing as having two sets of eyes looking for potential hazards.

My recommendation on helmet communicators is by https://www.collettcommunicator.com/products.html

Much further range than FRS, clearer sound quality, and you won't get random chatter from other FRS signals. All collett communicators can speak to other collett communicators. Meaning, that if I were to join you on a ride, we could talk without pairing, or channel selecting. They just work.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #3920

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Parking lot practice (low speed maneuvers and emergency stops) are so important. It really pays to keep those skills sharp.
Thank you for the reminder - I need to add more quick stop practice and some swerves into my parking lot routine. I've been focused on turns from a stop and starting without stalling :P

Definitely need to practice on the quick stops as my initial attempts resulted in locking up the rear wheel and feeling the bike fishtail/drift. I've backed off the rear brake pressure but now I suspect i'm being too timid with the braking as the stops are definitely taking more distance than I suspect they should.

I'm glad to hear your wife was not hurt. Colorado is a lovely state and I hope to visit it again some time, I remember driving some very pretty stretches of road in our truck, it would be nice to do them again on motorcycle!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #3921

Quote:
feel what the engine needs; the bike will become an extension of you, and you'll instinctively know which gear to choose and when. The basics are don't lug the engine, and don't wind it out too much. Anything in the middle is fair game.
Thanks Weld

So....what does it mean to lug the engine? Is it basically making sure the engine isn't in too high of a gear for the speed at which I am trying to travel? I have very little experience with manual transmission vehicles. I rarely drive our truck, and then only on dirt roads...

And winding it out is when it's got its RPMs too high - so in too low a gear for the speed at which I'm traveling (uh...how does this work with engine braking??)

Is there a way to find out what the optimal RPMs is for a given engine? This is clearly another skill i'm going to have to pick up and learn...

Old 07-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #3922

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thank you for the reminder - I need to add more quick stop practice and some swerves into my parking lot routine. I've been focused on turns from a stop and starting without stalling :P

Definitely need to practice on the quick stops as my initial attempts resulted in locking up the rear wheel and feeling the bike fishtail/drift. I've backed off the rear brake pressure but now I suspect i'm being too timid with the braking as the stops are definitely taking more distance than I suspect they should...
A 13T C/S sprocket will definitely help you to pull away in first gear without stalling.

When you brake it is important to downshift at the same time. The resulting compression (engine) braking helps you stop quickly, without locking the rear wheel. This is especially important when braking on dirt roads, or pavement covered with gravel/sand.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #3923

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thanks Weld

So....what does it mean to lug the engine? Is it basically making sure the engine isn't in too high of a gear for the speed at which I am trying to travel? I have very little experience with manual transmission vehicles. I rarely drive our truck, and then only on dirt roads...

And winding it out is when it's got its RPMs too high - so in too low a gear for the speed at which I'm traveling (uh...how does this work with engine braking??)

Is there a way to find out what the optimal RPMs is for a given engine? This is clearly another skill i'm going to have to pick up and learn...
Our RX3 bikes have optimal power and fuel mileage when the engine is turning about 5,000-7000 rpms.

You are correct regarding lugging, and winding out the engine. You can hear the engine winding up to higher rpms. This sound is your signal to shift; don't look at the tachometer. Listen to the engine. When the rpms reach about 5,000-6,000 rpms, it is time to shift from a lower gear.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #3924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
I don't like to ride with others, unless we all have helmet communicators.

You and your wife should definitely have them. Waaaaay safer to be able to communicate what you are doing and what you see on the road. It's the same thing as having two sets of eyes looking for potential hazards.

My recommendation on helmet communicators is by https://www.collettcommunicator.com/products.html

Much further range than FRS, clearer sound quality, and you won't get random chatter from other FRS signals. All collett communicators can speak to other collett communicators. Meaning, that if I were to join you on a ride, we could talk without pairing, or channel selecting. They just work.
Thanks for posting the good tip, and the link, EM.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #3925

Just returned home from the Horizons Unlimited Colorado camp. Was a great few days of riding. Boreas Pass (11,481'), Loveland Pass (11,990) and Guanella Pass four times! (11,670').

The RX-3 had no trouble keeping up with the KTMs, BMWs and KLRs in the group and the bike garnered a lot of attention at the campground. Especially when I mentioned the price. I handed out a dozen or so brochures (Which CSC provided to me) to folks who were interested.

One funny moment was when a Triumph Tiger 800 rider spent a few minutes discussing his Tiger and "mine" until he realized it wasn't a Triumph. The two bikes look very similar side-by-side.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #3926

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
X2; the TU250X is a sweet little motorcycle. We love reading about other bikes in our Other Brands Forum.
I just added a post on my wife's TU250x with pics here http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...987#post188987 and will be happy to answer any questions!

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 07-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #3927

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
Just returned home from the Horizons Unlimited Colorado camp. Was a great few days of riding. Boreas Pass (11,481'), Loveland Pass (11,990) and Guanella Pass four times! (11,670').

The RX-3 had no trouble keeping up with the KTMs, BMWs and KLRs in the group and the bike garnered a lot of attention at the campground. Especially when I mentioned the price. I handed out a dozen or so brochures (Which CSC provided to me) to folks who were interested.

One funny moment was when a Triumph Tiger 800 rider spent a few minutes discussing his Tiger and "mine" until he realized it wasn't a Triumph. The two bikes look very similar side-by-side.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Thanks for posting the nice report, Dan. I hope you took photos.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #3928

I've noticed the clutch engagement is way too far out. It really should be closer in to the handle. I can see how a person with smaller hands could struggle gaining control in the friction zone. I shouldn't have to sprawl my hand nearly wide open to engage the clutch. I have large enough hands to just barely palm a basketball on a good day.

I'd seriously look into adjusting the cable, or try and find adjustable clutch levers.

There is a definite difference between the clutches on my Triumph Tiger and the Cyclone. To me this makes a huge difference for easy riding in any terrain.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #3929

Head Scratching True Torque?

I just noticed something yesterday and did a little searching around. Not trying to rake muck or complain, but CSC's web site states that the RX-3 has 30.2 ft. lbs. of torque at 7,000 rpm.

Every other mention I can find on the net says it has about 16.5 ft. lbs. of torque at 7,000 rpm.

That's either a pretty big typo or we've got some special motors in our U.S. bikes.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
I just noticed something yesterday and did a little searching around. Not trying to rake muck or complain, but CSC's web site states that the RX-3 has 30.2 ft. lbs. of torque at 7,000 rpm.

Every other mention I can find on the net says it has about 16.5 ft. lbs. of torque at 7,000 rpm.

That's either a pretty big typo or we've got some special motors in our U.S. bikes.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Where did you see 30.2 ft-lbs of torque? Their specs page lists 16.5 ft-lbs.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol