Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Rhino 250

Will be here this coming Wednesday. R&L wanted to deliver tomorrow but there were no available slots left to take off work until Wednesday.

Got the tree camo version since my boy has the green camo Coolster 3150 DX2. Any preliminary advice I ought to know while assembling it?

What all upgrades are a must on these 250's to help performamce and longevity?

Old 09-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

Excellent! Which camo did you get? I wanted the tree camo at first but it wasn't available so I went with the traditional green camo. It looks just fine to me!

Here's my thread. It's long but breeze through it. There's a lot of good info regarding mods and upgrades.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15117

The problem is I had to dump a bunch of pics because I filled my quota. These pics got deleted.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

I like my Tree Camo Rhino.. think it looks sharp with the black trim and less like a Chinese clone. It's similar to the realtree style.

Plenty of modifications in this board... think it helps if you state what you intend to use your Rhino for though.

On mine the stock carburetor needs replacement.. doesn't have wide open throttle. Haven't had a chance to install the VM26 Mikuni clone in it yet(was supposed to today)

The headlight bulbs can be replaced with LED versions.. makes a huge difference. There is a topic on this board I started sort of like 2LZ's thread with the modifications I did. Has the links to the lights and pictures.

Found out my clutch wasn't set right at the factory. The hand lever has no freeplay so it might not be engaging fully. Might have been why it stalled on the big hill.

Wheel adapters for the rear are nice to widen the stance closer to the width of the front tires.

The air filter relocation to under the seat is a nice easy and cheap mod to perform. If your driving through puddles and shallow streams its a good one to do. Having a hole saw of the right size helps.
(Harbor Freight sells em cheap)

Out of the box you should just put all your focus on setting it up right.. getting the trim lined up right, grease bearings, change oil, set the clutch, set the idle, set brakes, locktite the nuts/screws. And just take it from there. Yours may need less or more tweaking to run right... that is just Chinese manufacturing in a nutshell though.

You may want to go to R&L hub to pick it up yourself. I did that with mine that came via Estes .. was able to pick it up later in the evening. Like a kid at Christmas time there was no way I was going to wait till after the weekend to get it.... LOL

Save that angle iron from the crate... comes in handy if you have a welder... wouldn't use it for the hitch or winch mod though.. its a little thin and soft.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I like my Tree Camo Rhino.. think it looks sharp with the black trim and less like a Chinese clone. It's similar to the realtree style.

Plenty of modifications in this board... think it helps if you state what you intend to use your Rhino for though.

On mine the stock carburetor needs replacement.. doesn't have wide open throttle. Haven't had a chance to install the VM26 Mikuni clone in it yet(was supposed to today)

The headlight bulbs can be replaced with LED versions.. makes a huge difference. There is a topic on this board I started sort of like 2LZ's thread with the modifications I did. Has the links to the lights and pictures.

Found out my clutch wasn't set right at the factory. The hand lever has no freeplay so it might not be engaging fully. Might have been why it stalled on the big hill.

Wheel adapters for the rear are nice to widen the stance closer to the width of the front tires.

The air filter relocation to under the seat is a nice easy and cheap mod to perform. If your driving through puddles and shallow streams its a good one to do. Having a hole saw of the right size helps.
(Harbor Freight sells em cheap)

Out of the box you should just put all your focus on setting it up right.. getting the trim lined up right, grease bearings, change oil, set the clutch, set the idle, set brakes, locktite the nuts/screws. And just take it from there. Yours may need less or more tweaking to run right... that is just Chinese manufacturing in a nutshell though.

You may want to go to R&L hub to pick it up yourself. I did that with mine that came via Estes .. was able to pick it up later in the evening. Like a kid at Christmas time there was no way I was going to wait till after the weekend to get it.... LOL

Save that angle iron from the crate... comes in handy if you have a welder... wouldn't use it for the hitch or winch mod though.. its a little thin and soft.
All great advise, especially making sure it's properly set up and assembled and also, the carb is junk. I'm not sure about outside of CA but my carb was all sealed up, both the floatbowl screws and also the slide was red locktited in place. That was a MOTHER to remove so I could get the cable out to replace the carb.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Arrived at about mmm 10:30am. Outer box was ripped pretty good and taped up. Peeked inside and seen no visible damage. And that's the first time I've seen square tires Chinese have a vacuum that sucks them down that far?

Bought a tube of blue locktite(gel). Dang that stuff ain't cheap. Thinking about installing grease zerks on the ball joints and tie rods. Anyone did this. I've watched YouTube videos of it done. I know there can't be much if any in there.

But taking my time with it, oh yea that's the funniest looking air filter contraption I've ever seen on a quad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160914_111445.jpg (92.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160914_134745.jpg (96.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160914_185636.jpg (96.8 KB, 425 views)

Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #6

Nice... a garage with a lift.. I'm jealous

Those foot wells tuck under the black fender trim.. they kind of pop in. Only mention it because I see you have the drill out.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:

Those foot wells tuck under the black fender trim.. they kind of pop in. Only mention it because I see you have the drill out.
Looks like a milwaukee impact gun.

Nice rig. Thanks for the pics.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:

Thanks Darth. Yea I was using the drill as a nut driver for loosening and tighten things up, make it quicker than a ratchet. Everything that doesn't have a poly lock nut gets a dab of blue locktite.

Used a piece of 2x12 and with the car lift, lifted it off the pallet and metal crate then support it from underneath to work on it.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al View Post
Looks like a milwaukee impact gun.

Nice rig. Thanks for the pics.
Thanks Al! Yea that electric impact is a beast for sure. Rated at 1100 ft/lbs in loosening and 750 ft/lbs in tightening.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Looking great!....and I put my foot buckets over the fender trim by mistake and yes, it takes a drill. It was so cold when I assembled it, I had to put the foot buckets in front of our wood stove for a couple days to get them to straighten out.
The square tires are awesome! Flintstone, for sure.

Do yourself a favor and throw away the air filter and replace it with a foam pod. That filter is garbage, unserviceable and brilliantly pulls air from the bottom side so you can suck up the creek water!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Looking great!....and I put my foot buckets over the fender trim by mistake and yes, it takes a drill. It was so cold when I assembled it, I had to put the foot buckets in front of our wood stove for a couple days to get them to straighten out.
The square tires are awesome! Flintstone, for sure.

Do yourself a favor and throw away the air filter and replace it with a foam pod. That filter is garbage, unserviceable and brilliantly pulls air from the bottom side so you can suck up the creek water!
Thanks 2LZ

Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #12

Some comparison pics of the Rhino vs the 3150DX2 from Coolster. Rhino is definitely scaled on the bigger side. Pics may not do it justice.

And 2LZ I tried reverse install on rear and didn't do a bit of good. I can easily see what you mean by crab stance . Wheel spacers will be a priority too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160915_155437.jpg (95.4 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160915_155352.jpg (95.2 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160915_155413.jpg (97.7 KB, 465 views)

Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

I have mine reversed PLUS the spacers. I think that pic was deleted and of course, I have no pics on the PC I'm currently at......

These are what I ordered. You'll have to get slightly longer bolts to replace the stock ones. Thery're not quite long enough to get the nuts on properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Spec-...iglink28144-20

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #14

Nice looking quad MizzouFan, I like the camo pattern.

Curious Question. What are the antennas on the front rack of the coolster for?

Take Care, Swampy

Old 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Nice looking quad MizzouFan, I like the camo pattern.

Curious Question. What are the antennas on the front rack of the coolster for?

Take Care, Swampy

Thanks Swampy! Yea that's our rendition of web catchers riding on the trails I've cut out in our woods. These little orb weavers spiders like to span their webs between the tree's all over the place. They're harmless but it's real annoying riding through them as they're usually at face height while on your quad.

It freaks the kids out having a spider web and possibly the spider too on them.