Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Pushing Snow

Hi Guys,

Anyone have experience with a quad with a snow plow on the front?

Do you think a 2wd quad would push snow properly, or just spin once the snow weight got too heavy? Even with chains?

Would a 110cc, fabricated with a makeshift snow plow do it?

Going to have this to plow this year. There is a four wheel drive tractor there with a 'bucket' on the front, but it doesn't work that well for snow.

I enjoy the thoughts!

...about as far down as you can see, the 'driveway' turns to the left, which is about a good 90 degree turn, and heads up to the road for probably twice the length you see here. There is a good deal of snow to move. More than I'd like to shovel thank you.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #2

If you fabricated wheel weights, used chains, and geared the quad to a crazy low ratio, a 110 might do it. You're far better off to pick up a mid-sized garden tractor with a blade now. The same wheel weights and chains would apply, but the gearing is already ideal.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

I never knew that it snowed that much in BC. In ON it does not snow that much but we have bought a snow blower for about $500 from the USA. It's made by craftsman. :P

Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
I never knew that it snowed that much in BC. In ON it does not snow that much but we have bought a snow blower for about $500 from the USA. It's made by craftsman. :P
It doesn't snow that much in Vancouver proper, but head north, away from the ocean and it snows mate.

That was taken 30 minutes North of Whistler, in the mountains. That was early in the season and that driveway had been plowed with the tractor already.. then it snowed again, and dropped to about -25 for a week and the snow turned into concrete. The tracks you see were made by the 3500 lbs LandRover it hardly sank at all, although it would probably be pretty deep if it was soft.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

I've been to whistler and was it beautiful. I have only been there in the summer. Heh, I never want to go there in the winder, I'd be an igloo by now.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
I've been to whistler and was it beautiful. I have only been there in the summer. Heh, I never want to go there in the winder, I'd be an igloo by now.
I almost like it better up there in the winter myself. Air is so cool and clean, spark up the fire inside so it's nice and toasty with the beef roasting in the oven.. it's great.

...plus, there are no bears for my dog to get into trouble with!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #7

We don't have snow where I live, but I'm still very interested in any experiences adding plows, dump buckets, rototillers, etc, to small displacement chinese atv's.

Yesterday I placed an order for the swisher brand mounting kit for a dump bucket which I intend to add to my chinese quad. They recommend an engine 300cc or higher (mine is 150cc), 9 inches minimum ground clearance (mine is 4.5 inches), and a trailer hitch in the back (I have a place where I can tie a rope). I expect this is going to be a challenge. I do have a machine shop in my garage and some welding experience. So far I've not seen anyone on the internet who has done this with such a small quad (or if they have they are too embarrassed to admit it).

My intent is to eventually add a dump bucket, and attach a rototiller to the back to move compost to the back yard, and just do basic vegetable gardening.

This is a long term project. We'll see how it goes between now and next spring.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
We don't have snow where I live, but I'm still very interested in any experiences adding plows, dump buckets, rototillers, etc, to small displacement chinese atv's.

Yesterday I placed an order for the swisher brand mounting kit for a dump bucket which I intend to add to my chinese quad. They recommend an engine 300cc or higher (mine is 150cc), 9 inches minimum ground clearance (mine is 4.5 inches), and a trailer hitch in the back (I have a place where I can tie a rope). I expect this is going to be a challenge. I do have a machine shop in my garage and some welding experience. So far I've not seen anyone on the internet who has done this with such a small quad (or if they have they are too embarrassed to admit it).

My intent is to eventually add a dump bucket, and attach a rototiller to the back to move compost to the back yard, and just do basic vegetable gardening.

This is a long term project. We'll see how it goes between now and next spring.
That sounds like a fun project. As mentioned, there is a reasonably sized mid sized tractor on this property with a hydralic bucket on the front, it is a fun unit to drive around but it's very cumbersome moving snow, as the bucket fills up quick. A blade would be easier.

If I still had some machining tools at my disposal, I thought it might be fun to outfit a little Gio Mini Hummer with a blade on the front. We will see.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #9

I think you would be okay in light fluffy snow, but wet heavy stuff it will have a hard time.

I think a better investment would be a blade for the tractor or a snowblower.

Allen

Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #10

Another option is a snowblower that is pushed by the quad. They typically use a 6.5hp engine, and it's a lot easier than a walk-behind. Check out http://www.giobikes.com/Power-Snowbl...ent-Universal/

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Another option is a snowblower that is pushed by the quad. They typically use a 6.5hp engine, and it's a lot easier than a walk-behind. Check out http://www.giobikes.com/Power-Snowbl...ent-Universal/
That's quite the contraption!

Looks like it'd be fun, expensive though.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #12

I agree with the other's that you should look either into a blower, or get a blade for the tractor. Not sure if these pic's will work on not, but here is a pic of my lane and my dually after going through!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #13

My son-in-law lives in Canada's tropics (southern Ontario) and there I have tried both a blade, and a snow blower, mounted to a 4 wheel drive Honda ATV there. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but neither didn't do much of a job, or maybe the better thing to say is: it was more work than I thought it was worth. The conclusion I have drawn is: if you NEED an excuse to buy an ATV, (and you know what I'm talking about) then this is a valid excuse (OH! but I can use it in the winter to clear snow), otherwise save your money.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #14

Hey all!

I have a plow mounted to the front of my ZMC250 Utility atv (extremely similar to the GIO 250 "bad Boy." It's about a 48" plow, purchased from Giobikes, with the chinese winch for lifting and lowering. Also made up some home-made chains for the back wheels.

All in all, it works very, very well-- As long as the snow is halfways fresh. If it's been sitting for a couple of days, and freezes together, the blade itself isn't really heavy enough to "Cut" if you know what I mean.

A couple of caveats:

a It works best as a grader-- I.e. with the blade at an angle, curling the snow off the edge-- Pushing the snow ahead of you in a straight line only goes until the snow comes over the top of the blade.

b Momentum-- Not torque. Usually, I just run in first, revved up good, about 10km/h, and let the snow "curl" off the end of the blade. Trying to push the snow with torque and you kinda lose your steering, and it's a good way to wreck clutches.

c A hot-box for the carby really helps. At -20 you can pretty much leave the choke 3/4 on all the time.

Overall though, I'm really really happy with the setup. It truly amazes me how much abuse this machine will take without blowing up!

With regard to 110's and 50's I don't think power would be too much of a problem if they were re-geared a little bit. The main problem would be the blade has to be pretty far out in front of the machine, in order to pivot-- and there is a *lot* of weight on the front suspension with the blade raised.

Also, not having reverse would really, really suck. Getting a run at things could be more work than using a snowblower, dragging it back by hand.

I'm kinda considering ordering another one, and hooking it to the front if the wife's 150 "Monster", after cutting it down a little bit, say maybe 38" or so... Just for the heck of it...

--Vince

Old 08-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #15

Vince! How are you?

What's a hot box?