Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Minnesota registration

I am not able to title my bikes in mn. However upon doing some research I found out that I can register them in Mn as off road motorcycles. After registering them I can then self certify that they have been converted to on road motorcycles and meet all state and federal rules. I have the paperwork and am going to attempt to do this in a couple of days.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #2

Please keep us updated. That very procedure might work in other States as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

I never heard that in MN. It is worth the effort. You may be restricted to certain roads.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

Went to Canby MN today and registered the motorcycle as an off highway motorcycle with the Department of Natural Resources. I did not do it on-line at home, I did it through a deputy resistor. You must do this first. When she did it on-line I had the sticker with in 5 minutes. The registration is good for 3 years. I then filled out the certification checklist for off highway motorcycles and was issued motorcycle plate. The motorcycle plate needs to be registered every year. It is a little more expensive, however I would never have gotten the plates any other way. You do not get a tittle for the bike it is just registered like a trailer or boat. Hopefully the state doesn't send me a letter telling me to surrender the plates. Here are a couple of web sites with the DNR info, the state statute, and the checklist. Good luck.

This registration process was passed into law this year due to the large number of people converting off road motorcycles to dual sport motorcycles and not being able to license them by getting a title.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ohv/index.html
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/....788&year=2011

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...otorcycles.pdf

Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

Awesome!

I wish that the Province of BC would allow the conversion of dirt bikes to dual sport bikes again. Those days are over.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

What bikes do you have?

(edited for poor memory)

Ok, Roketa bikes were never really DOT/EPA for the US--I remember some guy trying to sell one in AZ several years ago on EBAY because (supposedly) our MVD was giving him trouble street registering it (I do doubt his story in a state that street registers side by sides and quads).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

I did see in one of the forums that somebody did title their Roketa bike in MN. The difference was when they ordered it they ordered it as a motorcycle instead of a dirt bike so the EPA and Dot stickers were on it.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #8

Good to hear you got a plate Ive been considering buying a Hawk but was concerned about being road legal.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 AM   #9

I was sooo nervous taking the paper work to a DMV here in Oregon...

2015 Haosen Hawk
1989 Kawasaki EX500
1991 Suzuki DR350

Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

Insurance issues in MN

Have you had any issues getting motorcycle insurance in MMN after you got it licensed?

-skyteamst90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd240 View Post
Went to Canby MN today and registered the motorcycle as an off highway motorcycle with the Department of Natural Resources. I did not do it on-line at home, I did it through a deputy resistor. You must do this first. When she did it on-line I had the sticker with in 5 minutes. The registration is good for 3 years. I then filled out the certification checklist for off highway motorcycles and was issued motorcycle plate. The motorcycle plate needs to be registered every year. It is a little more expensive, however I would never have gotten the plates any other way. You do not get a tittle for the bike it is just registered like a trailer or boat. Hopefully the state doesn't send me a letter telling me to surrender the plates. Here are a couple of web sites with the DNR info, the state statute, and the checklist. Good luck.

This registration process was passed into law this year due to the large number of people converting off road motorcycles to dual sport motorcycles and not being able to license them by getting a title.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ohv/index.html
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/....788&year=2011

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...otorcycles.pdf

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

"If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Gen. Patton.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2005 Skyteam ST90 (sitting in pieces)
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD