Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2022, 08:45 PM   #1

50cc scooter opinions needed....

I work at some National MX events throughout the year, and I'm in need of a new pit ride. The sanctioning bodies require it to be street legal (if you are working the event), and lugging my Xpect around is ok, but at times a bit much in the crowded sections. I'm choosing a 50 because I won't have to tag it in this state....plus they can go 200 miles on a urine sample cup worth of gas!

So with all that said..... Who makes the best built little scooter in the China world? It sure wont be beaten up, but remember MX tracks don't usually have the smoothest pit roads on earth, so it needs to be fairly sturdy. Open to all suggestions! Thanks a ton guys

Old 09-16-2022, 08:56 PM   #2

Forgot to add... I really like the looks of the little Roketa Charger 50. Anyone have anything on them???

Old 09-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
Forgot to add... I really like the looks of the little Roketa Charger 50. Anyone have anything on them???
I've owned a few over the years,
From an Allstate 90, to a SPREE, to an Aero50,
and one each of the slow And "fast" versions of the elite 50.

The aero was the most fun, rode it everywhere,
including up south mountain in phoenix.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...in-summit-road

But the elite SR was fastest (with a few mods of course )
Never had any trouble out of them beyond regular maintenance.
That Roketa looks pretty cool.

Old 09-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #4

Used Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke is a lot faster than most 4 stroke scoots.

Old 09-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #5

Whatever you pick make sure it has a GY6 motor for parts interchangeability, simplicity and durability. They are basically generic to the China-moped world.

Going with a "name brand" also means going with their individual parts supply and costs.

GY6 has parts available beyond belief. E-bay is your new best friend. You can re-jet the 50, install a cone filter and punch its exhaust and get 50mph out of it with no other mods. An 80cc "big bore kit" and custom exhaust will set you back $75 and no one will ever be able to tell it is there. 50 mph will be your cruise speed, not your top speed.

There is a size variable. Some 50s are tiny and an adult will be cramped on them. Other brands offer full sized scooters with 50cc motors. There is very little cost difference and the extra size will make life more comfortable and give you more storage space under the seat while it still does not have to be registered or plated.

Outside of that most China brands are of about equal quality. Some might say differently but most of them come off one of three or four assembly lines deep in the bowels of China.

Anything on them can be repaired with duct tape, JB Weld and a Harbor Freight welder.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

Are you looking for 50cc so you don't have to register it ?

Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSE176 View Post
Are you looking for 50cc so you don't have to register it ?
Truthfully, yes. I pay insurance and tags on enough already! I know the end amount for that is rather small, but this little thing will literally never be used unless I am at an event. Probaly would be a radical guess to say I'll log 100 to 150 miles a year on it. This past year, I logged 34 miles on my Xpect at Loretta Lynn's after a 15 day stay..... get the idea? It was fine for the gig, until the place was full. Too cumbersome in many areas of the pits, infield access, campground...... These National races get crammed because the promoters are as greedy as Hell itself. Mammoth, Glen Helen, Freestone...places are tiny once you're there running around among $500,000 motor coaches, and Peterbuilts littering the property.

Last edited by ExMxer; 09-18-2022 at 02:00 PM.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #8

You travel the country doing this?

Old 09-17-2022, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSE176 View Post
You travel the country doing this?
Not all the events, just the ones I pick. Been around the MX game since 77, seen a bunch over the years. I really enjoy Ponca (that was my first National, 1978), but all the places I got see as a kid racing, now I can enjoy working. As stated earlier, I don't hit them all......for now My Son finishes his education in May, so I am gonna spread my wings a tad after he graduates.... Lost my Daddy recently, so kinda need to clear my head a bit. Next year, maybe an SX tour, or an outdoor MX tour could be some much needed therapy Losing your best, lifelong friend, is awful. That best friend being your Dad, is the worst loss of all. But, each day the sun rises, a new day begins.... I'll get there. My Xpect has been a life saver!!!!

Old 09-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduder View Post
I've owned a few over the years,
From an Allstate 90, to a SPREE, to an Aero50,
and one each of the slow And "fast" versions of the elite 50.

The aero was the most fun, rode it everywhere,
including up south mountain in phoenix.
You rode a 50cc scoot to the top of South Mountain?

It used to take all morning for me to bicycle up that road to the overlook. Going back down on the National Trail was a lot more fun.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Not all the events, just the ones I pick. Been around the MX game since 77, seen a bunch over the years. I really enjoy Ponca (that was my first National, 1978), but all the places I got see as a kid racing, now I can enjoy working. As stated earlier, I don't hit them all......for now My Son finishes his education in May, so I am gonna spread my wings a tad after he graduates.... Lost my Daddy recently, so kinda need to clear my head a bit. Next year, maybe an SX tour, or an outdoor MX tour could be some much needed therapy Losing your best, lifelong friend, is awful. That best friend being your Dad, is the worst loss of all. But, each day the sun rises, a new day begins.... I'll get there. My Xpect has been a life saver!!!!
Where are you out of ?

Old 09-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #12

Does it matter? Why so many questions from you?

Old 09-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Does it matter? Why so many questions from you?
Because you mentioned Southwick , ( Ma) , if you were near Ct I could have had a couple options for you for a pit bike you search of , a friend with a 50cc Tao scooter , another with ( I don't know brand ) 50cc pitbike dirtbike , and myself selling my brand new Icebear Champion .
Didn't think I was prying so much , was only trying to maybe help .

Old 09-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #14

No offense taken at all, was just curious 😂😂….. I’m about as laid back as a fella can be. The Ice Bear scoots I’ve never seen in person, but heard some good things. Are they above, or equivalent to a Tao Tao build quality? Or say, as Roketa?

Old 09-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #15

After just posting that prior statement, all those little question mark logos are supposed to be laughing emoji’s. Guessing the new iOS doesn’t translate to the forum????