Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #1

recommend me a carb for a mid 90s square light honda trx 250

I welded on the quad with a battery isolation switch disengaged. however i had lithium grease inside the switch which conducted enough current to destroy the cdi. In the ensuing struggle to revive it the oem carb was cleaned, however it never ran right after. it misfires and has low power. i have an experienced friend who deals in motorbikes and he cleaned and tuned it, and I did too but I can't get it right. no jets were changed.

So I bought a keihin pz30.https://www.ebay.ie/itm/264648524503 this is my second of this model carb I have owned. the first came on a new zongshen fl200 racing atv. 2 days after I bought it petrol came pouring out the k&n filter. I removed and set the float 30 times and could not get the middle ground between leaking fuel and running. eventually I decided to change the needle valve to a used one from an 1988 ford fiesta carb. It actually worked after it was filed down to size.

Flash forward to a week ago when i bought another pz30 with the same problem. I no longer have another needle valve to install and the float hinge in the oem carb is seized so I cannot swap in the oem needle valve. since there was no visible damage on the needle valve I decided to remove the spring from inside the needle valve with a metal file. I got it to run badly without leaking.

I see some on this site have praised the mikuni vm26 clone, so I may purchase that next. I have a honda atv dealership a 45 minute drive away, i am considering contacting them but I do not know do they have such an old carb in stock. their current carbs on the 250 are a different style and much larger.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

My guy came back today and we managed to get the atv running with the pz30 carb and honda needle valve. I guess it was a mistake to damage it, but I will buy a rebuild kit to recondition the honda carb. I am surprised at how well it is running. I had an issue with the fuel line being too large to push on to the carb, causing a small leak so I used a narrow tube and joined it farther away.