Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Brake cleaner on the front disk. Now it doesn't work well.

My front brakes had a squeak so I sprayed on brake cleaner and wiped it down with a paper towel. Now they suck. I'm not sure how to proceed. HALP

Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 AM   #2

Brake cleaner usually evaporates quickly causing little issues but overspraying can cause a few known issues with the caliper, things might need to re "grease/lube" any pins, guides, and or the piston(s) on the brake caliper... brake cleaner is also really harsh on o-rings/gaskets/seals, can swell or dry/crack them depending on the brand used it might do both

Make sure you use a "Disk Brake" rated lube (I like to use AGS branded grease/lubes when working on brake parts), watch a few youtube vids if needed, it's fairly easy to do with basic tools, a block of wood (don't shoot the piston out of the caliper ) with some "big pliers", and a little common sense

Could also just be an air bubble worked it's way into the brake line, bleeding the brakes with fresh fluid might be the real problem

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 AM   #3

I was careful with the spray. I only sprayed it on the rotor and had a towel behind it to stop it from getting on the rims. Then I wiped it down with a paper towel, rotated the wheel and did it again. I thought maybe the rotor or pads are now glazed because of it.

The problem with the brake not working well happened right after applying the cleaner