Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 10:37 PM   #1

Hawk 250 build in Va.

Figured I'd start a thread on my Hawk 250. I ordered my Hawk on 5-24-19 from Txpowersports. Took exactly one week for delivery. UPS freight driver left the bike right at the entrance to my driveway and I moved it from there to my shop with the loader on my tractor.

Shipping damage was minimal. One small scratch on the silver rear grab bars where the steel crate rubbed and one small paint rub through on the LH crankcase cover. About what I was expecting really.

I received the MSO a few days before the bike arrived and was able to insure and register the bike in Virginia the day after it was delivered.

I'm just now beginning the assembly. So far the only issue I've encountered is a stripped lower shock bolt. I plan on mocking the bike up then removing and reinstalling critical fasteners with loctite. Also plan to put good fluids in it and check the valves before firing it up. Plan to run the bike pretty much stock for a bit to see what I like and don't like and will address issues as they come up.

Just bought the thing to ride around our property and surrounding farm land, with an occasional cruise around the block here and there. Hopefully it holds up for a few summers. Not really expecting much out of it.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

Sounds like you are doing it right. I got mine and figured it would last a couple of years. It is a 2016 with over 4000 miles. I ride it everywhere. My big bike gets jealous HAHA. Rain or shine the hawk gets ridden. I am happy with mine. All I do is change the oil with rotella T4 every 500 miles and no probs really.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #3

There are guys here with 4 year old Hawks and thousands of miles. You are on the right path to ensuring you have a good reliable bike.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloverby View Post
Figured I'd start a thread on my Hawk 250. I ordered my Hawk on 5-24-19 from Txpowersports. Took exactly one week for delivery. UPS freight driver left the bike right at the entrance to my driveway and I moved it from there to my shop with the loader on my tractor.

Shipping damage was minimal. One small scratch on the silver rear grab bars where the steel crate rubbed and one small paint rub through on the LH crankcase cover. About what I was expecting really.

I received the MSO a few days before the bike arrived and was able to insure and register the bike in Virginia the day after it was delivered.

I'm just now beginning the assembly. So far the only issue I've encountered is a stripped lower shock bolt. I plan on mocking the bike up then removing and reinstalling critical fasteners with loctite. Also plan to put good fluids in it and check the valves before firing it up. Plan to run the bike pretty much stock for a bit to see what I like and don't like and will address issues as they come up.

Just bought the thing to ride around our property and surrounding farm land, with an occasional cruise around the block here and there. Hopefully it holds up for a few summers. Not really expecting much out of it.
Glad to have another Virginia boy with one of these bikes. Mainly because i have been worried about how well it would be to register one of these here. I know Virginia is pretty lax, heck dune buggies are street legal here, but sometimes you dont know.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
Glad to have another Virginia boy with one of these bikes. Mainly because i have been worried about how well it would be to register one of these here. I know Virginia is pretty lax, heck dune buggies are street legal here, but sometimes you dont know.
No issues getting it insured or registered. I was concerned myself but seeing that others on here had done it I decided to give it a shot. The only thing the clerk asked was if it was a motorcycle or a scooter and how fast would it go, the MSO that was sent with it was from My Scooters and ATVs, that's why she asked. It was listed as a Motorcycle on the MSO, Hawk 250 model, RPS make. That's what is on my title now.

Last hurdle to get over will be getting it inspected. Don't expect any issues there. Still have a bit of sorting out to do before I want to drop it off at an ispection station.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #6

So I got it mostly assembled, changed the oil, adjusted the valves, loosened the chain, put the ngk plug in it, torqued axle bolts and fork clamps, cleaned the brake rotors, fired it up and took a ride around the yard to see how it ran. Got about 3 miles on it before the rear innertube popped,lol.

Also had to repair some wiring damage to the rear brake light switch and spark plug wire. I guess the factory test runs the engines and they had the wiring laying on the exhaust when they did because both items were melted to the exhaust. Found this damage long before I ever fired the motor myself. Oh well, when you buy $1300 worth of motorcycle that's what you get I suppose.....

Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #7

Glad to hear the registration went well. Sucks to hear damage happened to the bike. Wish there was a bit more care with these bikes.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
Glad to hear the registration went well. Sucks to hear damage happened to the bike. Wish there was a bit more care with these bikes.
Yeah, I it would be nice if that was the case. I knew going in that I was buying a Harbor Freight quality motorcycle though, lol.

I'll post damage photos later if I can figure out how. Can't use my photobucket account anymore.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

Here's a quick picture tutorial: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
... Got about 3 miles on it before the rear innertube popped,lol.

Also had to repair some wiring damage to the rear brake light switch and spark plug wire. I guess the factory test runs the engines and they had the wiring laying on the exhaust when they did because both items were melted to the exhaust. Found this damage long before I ever fired the motor myself. Oh well, when you buy $1300 worth of motorcycle that's what you get I suppose.....
You hold the new record for least distance before a tube went lol. That's why I recommend changing out the tubes. Mine was the front tube, and thankfully I wasn't going very fast.

The wiring thing is also a common issue, though only one other person has ever reported it being melted to the exhaust. Also another reason I suggest going over the wiring, re-routing and securing things. I had a couple of wires break off at the pins of a connector because of vibrations.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #11

Here are some pics of the burnt wiring I found before I ever fired the engine

Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You hold the new record for least distance before a tube went lol. That's why I recommend changing out the tubes. Mine was the front tube, and thankfully I wasn't going very fast.

The wiring thing is also a common issue, though only one other person has ever reported it being melted to the exhaust. Also another reason I suggest going over the wiring, re-routing and securing things. I had a couple of wires break off at the pins of a connector because of vibrations.
I may be partly to blame for the tire going flat, it may have been under inflated for my first ride. I only gave the tires a quick shot of air hoping to do a low speed test around the yard. Only made it a few laps before I saw the band poking out the rear bead. Oh well, new tubes should be here tomorrow.

I work as a E&I tech, not overly concerned with the wiring. Pretty basic stuff on this bike really.

Also seems like the chain guide may create an issue as well. Not sure why it's at a different angle than the chain.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #13

The chain guide is a universal issue that almost every Hawk has.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The chain guide is a universal issue that almost every Hawk has.
Yeah, seems like it's just an overall poor design. Looks like you could make a sheet metal bracket to move it in line with the chain or maybe even just trim off a few inches off the rubber ridge to the point where it lines up with the centerline of the chain to make it function better. Might order a new one to experiment with.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, seems like it's just an overall poor design. Looks like you could make a sheet metal bracket to move it in line with the chain or maybe even just trim off a few inches off the rubber ridge to the point where it lines up with the centerline of the chain to make it function better. Might order a new one to experiment with.

I just cut the tab off were it bolts to the swing arm then pop rivet it in place to line up with the chain.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel