Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #1

Panniers won't open!

Sorry for the silly question but is there a trick in unlocking the panniers with the flimsy key? I've owned the RX3 for more than a year and I am just installing the racks and the panniers that it came with and I can't get the panniers to open. These are brand new never been used panniers. I just rode with an after market top trunk this whole time and putting the panniers on so I can sell the bike. I get the key in but I feel like I'm going to break something when turning. Any tips??

Old 01-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Have you tried your other key? On early bikes, I think one key is for the side and top cases while the other is for the ignition. On mine, a late 2015, they're identical.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Have you tried your other key? On early bikes, I think one key is for the side and top cases while the other is for the ignition. On mine, a late 2015, they're identical.
Working_ZS is correct. If you have the 2015 RX3, you had a different key that was used to open the pannier and top case.

BTW, not difficult to remove a tumbler key or two to make the ignition key work with the pannier, but probably better to order keys from the internet (not expensive) and that way you can use the same ignition key with the top case and panniers.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Mine also uses 2 keys. One for the ignition & seat lock, another for the luggage.

For convenience I slipped a short bit of heat shrink over the shank of the luggage key on each set.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #5

Ohhh. So that's what the other key is for. I have no clue where it is but I remember receiving another set of keys that look like the ignition key. Also I was trying the ignition key on the box and bent it. So it looks like I need to make a copy since I only have one key, list the spare. So, anyone know where we can get blanks for our bikes??

Old 01-29-2017, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
So it looks like I need to make a copy since I only have one key, list the spare. So, anyone know where we can get blanks for our bikes??
I think a local locksmith could probably match a key. But since CSC is so responsive, I'd probably just call them and see if they have key blanks for sale that they can send you.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #7

Assuming a difference between 2015 & 2016 stock panniers as one key does it all for the 2016 models.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
... local locksmith could probably match a key...
Worst case match the shape via http://www.ilco.us/literature-suppor...downloads.html

Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
Ohhh. So that's what the other key is for. I have no clue where it is but I remember receiving another set of keys that look like the ignition key. Also I was trying the ignition key on the box and bent it. So it looks like I need to make a copy since I only have one key, list the spare. So, anyone know where we can get blanks for our bikes??
I have an extra key blank if you need one.

PM me your address, and I'll put it in the mail...no charge.

jb