Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Sightings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
200cc China Bike on Interstate 65 Kentucky

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I just needed to relate this.
Today we were on the way back from Florida to Indiana.
While driving through central Kentucky on I-65 I noticed a very small motorcycle up ahead. It was a 3 lane stretch of interstate. The bike was in the center lane right up behind a semi. There was a semi just behind in the right lane and traffic doing about 85mph in the left lane flying past him.
I was in the middle lane and we were all coming up on this guy at about 80mph.
I think he was drafting the truck because he was right behind it.
He was being pummled by the air and just about doing a tank slapper.
It was horrible. 8O I was waiting for the guy to lose it and be ran over by about 20 cars and trucks. It was very busy. Also, there were very strong cross winds.
All of a sudden he just darted into the right lane about 30 feet in front of the other semi. So the dirty air from the truck in the middle lane really beat him up. He also lost about 10 mph right away. Fortunately the truck he pulled in front of was paying attention and hit the brakes quickly. That driver was probably also horror struck at the site of the this little bike wobbling around in the middle lane with traffic all around him.

I had quickly moved into the left lane as I watched this.
As I went past I looked at the bike. It looked like the Lifan LF200GY-5 that I used to own. But no stickers to tell for sure. He had stuff on the luggage rack and what looked like a small soft guitar case strapped over his shoulder. And NO HELMET or riding gear! He was tucked in a bit and looking like he was trying to twist the throttle as hard as he could. It was wound out and just didn't have anything left. If this guy made it to where he was going I would really be surprised.

I had a 200cc Lifan GY-5 that I had changed to a smaller rear sprocket and opened up the air and exhaust. Yet, I was still concerned when I rode it on a local 2 lane at 55mph. Why in the world would you take it on such a busy, fast moving stretch of Interstate?

I have been riding bikes over 30 years. This was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen a rider do.
This is not a knock against China bikes, just an observation of a stupid or inexperienced rider that happened to be on a Chinese bike.
Get to know and admit to your bike's limitations, regardless of where it is made.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #2

Doesn't sound like he will live long enough to become an "experienced rider". By the way, how has that DR650 been treating you?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Thanks for asking.

It is a great bike. It is really a "dual-sport".

I can take it out in the dirt and ride trails. I can go on all day road trips with my buddies that have street bikes. They have Honda Magna's, BMW GS11150, Vulcan 1500, KLR650, etc and stick right with them.
The Dynajet kit and airbox opening is a great power boost for under a $100 bucks.

There are a couple of good DR650 forums. I personally recommend
www.drriders.com . I help moderate it.
It is similar to this forum but not as active yet.

I still hop over here on Chinariders.net to see what is going on. It is good to see so much activity!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #4

Doesn't surprise me--I've heard so many good things about those bikes. My next bike will probably be a Suzuki 650; I just need to decide whether it will be a DR or a DL. Good luck with your new forum and thanks for the link.