Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

At wits end

ok first off , csc will be getting a call Monday ,, the intermittent stalling at stop signs and the oil level keeps rising . Please don't tell me I'm changing wrong Been doing this for years. It stays. Right on the marks in the window for a day or two, Then slowly starts rising an alwYs smells of gas. When changed. as far as the stalling , not sure if it's connected to other problem, but usually once each trip ,sometimes even 8 or miles into trip , pull up to a stop light or sign an stalls , it starts back up each time. Dang I wish they were open.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

If the oil level is rising and the oil smells like gas it sounds like your needle valve inside the carb isn't sealing properly and the overflow is working its way into the crankcase. This could explain the stalling as well. That's my best guess, good luck

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneturner View Post
If the oil level is rising and the oil smells like gas it sounds like your needle valve inside the carb isn't sealing properly and the overflow is working its way into the crankcase. This could explain the stalling as well. That's my best guess, good luck
No carb though, the RX3's are fuel injected.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Hopefully everything will get straightened out without too much trouble. I am no mechanic but I believe I have heard in the past right here on the forum that a bad fuel injector can cause the very problems you are reporting. Something about a leaking injector can flood the cylinder with fuel and the only place the fuel can go is passed the rings and into the oil. How easy/difficult is it to replace the injector on these bikes?

I had a car back in the 90's that had an intermittent bad injector. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. These types of intermittent issues can be difficult to diagnose.

/

Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
ok first off , csc will be getting a call Monday ,, the intermittent stalling at stop signs and the oil level keeps rising . Please don't tell me I'm changing wrong Been doing this for years. It stays. Right on the marks in the window for a day or two, Then slowly starts rising an alwYs smells of gas. When changed. as far as the stalling , not sure if it's connected to other problem, but usually once each trip ,sometimes even 8 or miles into trip , pull up to a stop light or sign an stalls , it starts back up each time. Dang I wish they were open.
I believe one of our U.K. members is having the same problem with fuel in the oil. As Adjuster stated, he believes the problem is likely caused by a bad fuel injector, which makes sense.

As far as the stalling is concerned, yesterday, I experienced this problem myself. I was heading out for a ride, and the bike stalled several blocks from my home. I turned the key off/on for three cycles, as described in the link below, to get a diagnostic code from the ECU.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....8&postcount=17

I received fault code 0351.

After a minute or so, I got the bike started and rode back home. I looked up the fault code, and discovered I had a problem with the ignition coil. I examined the ignition coil for damage, and tested the connection leading into the ignition coil, and at the spark plug. The spark plug connection was a little loose, so I pushed it down all the way. The bike started, and I went for 120-mile ride without any further problems.

I suggest you check the dashboard for fault codes. I also suggest you contact CSC as soon as you can. If they also suspect a bad fuel injector, I am sure they will ship one to you promptly.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

Wits end

csc is the greatest company. The owner just called me, even tho they are closed and is at find do new parts to try. If they ever come out with a 450. Il buy from them again !!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
csc is the greatest company. The owner just called me, even tho they are closed and is at find do new parts to try. If they ever come out with a 450. Il buy from them again !!
Thanks for posting the update, and telling us of the excellent customer service from CSC.

Did you send this last message from your cell phone? I think I understand what you meant. However, if you have time, please do check the message for spelling, et cetera, so we can understand it better.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Hi fishman10, when I first had my RX3 it was terrible stalling at every opportunity to the point I parked it up and walked away for a month in frustration, started using it again recently and I had another problem develop where the idle was all over the place resulting in the engine check light coming on, code 0505 idle control error was diagnosed.... I removed the two electrical connectors to the throttle stepper motor expecting possible water ingress but they were clear, after refitting the connectors securely the bike now starts and runs perfectly...Also suffering from the rising oil level, removed 300ml to bring it down to the upper level! stunk of fuel so changed the oil completely and will see how it goes this coming week. The only other thing I changed is my riding style, was trying to keep below 4500rpm for the initial engine break in but now using all it's rev range. Katflap was having similiar trouble with oil contamination and has replaced his fuel injector so look forward to his updates.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:

LOL yeh I am going to need a translation. Does CSC suspect a problem in particular, are they sending you some parts? Very good of them to call you on this issue.

/

Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

Sounds like every electrical connection you can get to needs to be unplugged and reseated just to eliminate possible bad connections. Maybe apply some dielectric grease. I would unplug the injector connection and reseat it just to eliminate the possibility of a loose connection there.

/

Old 06-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Parts

yes , sorry guys. Using cellphone. From work , so had to be quick an also hide,,, they are sending a new fuel injector an possibly even the stepper motor , although Steve calls it something else ,, I've changed oil 3 times in 460 miles, so I hope it fixes it,

Old 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
yes , sorry guys. Using cellphone. From work , so had to be quick an also hide...
I figured as much. Thanks for taking the time to clarify things for us.

Quote:
..they are sending a new fuel injector an possibly even the stepper motor , although Steve calls it something else ,, I've changed oil 3 times in 460 miles, so I hope it fixes it,
That is superb customer service, especially on a Saturday.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #13

Thanks for the further update, Fish. I hope this resolves the problem for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

wits end

steve of csc is aman of his word,,,,,,parts arrived with the mail monday evening,,,im order to try amn diagnose the problems ,,i will replace one part at a time starting with the injector ,,an guys this may be a while i work 7 days a week an my elderly mother has fallen 3 times in 5 days so things are busy..

Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

I agree with your strategy. My best to your Mom.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer