Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #16

oil change

using the synthetic oil is ok,,,, if you use the kind for wet clutches... there is a special grade for that... you can use the motorcycle synthetic oil... that is special oil as I say... BUT to read the dipstick... DO NOT SCREW IT IN.. just place the dipstick in the hole and read it,,,, that is why on the video it is too high,,, do not out too much oil in as it might blow out and pass the rings.. this happens when it is TOO MUCH,,, not just alittle,... plus cause the motor to loose hp from fighting thru the excess oil level.. but he was right about the 15-45 oil or 10-40 oil in warmer areas.. if it is a GY6 MOTOR then they do not have wet clutches and you can use the synthetic oil all year.. BUT DRAIN OUT THE FATORY SHIPPING OIL AFTER YOU START IT.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #17

Ok will change the oil to 10w/30 in December.. it's still in the 70's during the day in this region.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:41 AM   #18

Thanks for the additional input flashlightboy. I want to make sure I understand a couple things:

- One quart of oil is too much? I understand what you're saying with how to read the dipstick. I just want to know if I should expect to never use a whole quart.
- Don't drain the shipping oil until after starting it. Do you suggest a quick first ride or just start it up for a minute and then drain it?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphill View Post

- Don't drain the shipping oil until after starting it. Do you suggest a quick first ride or just start it up for a minute and then drain it?
If the oil is as suspect as people make out...
Why would you start it at all with it in the motor...
Even a minute or so could be doing damage....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #20

I didn't start mine at all... drained the oil and put Rotella in it before the first start.

Not even sure that it was shipped with oil... could have been corn syrup in there.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #21

Oil

THE OIL LEVEL is usually about 1/2 - 3/4 of 1 ( quart or litre..) but the import part is to check the level as you put it in... harder to drain some oil in stead of taking the time to see exactly how much your uses... a lot of places say to run the machine for a while to flush out any crap in the motor from assembly of the motor.... would not hurt to change it after a quick start up... and usually you have some much stuff to do when you first get it,... but check the oil level first..... it is an oil that if it splilled during shipping.. that the government would call out the troops for an oil spill.. .. I would start it and let it run for a couple of minutes.. then drain it... cleans thinks out.. but use the oil for your area and weather conditions ... heavy in the warm weather and little lighter in cold weather.. sythetics for wet clutches if you want to use it,,, but oil is cheap.. so change often for better preformance and will last longer,,

Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I didn't start mine at all... drained the oil and put Rotella in it before the first start.

Not even sure that it was shipped with oil... could have been corn syrup in there.
CORN SYRUP --- that's one sweet ride man

Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
THE OIL LEVEL is usually about 1/2 - 3/4 of 1 ( quart or litre..) but the import part is to check the level as you put it in... harder to drain some oil in stead of taking the time to see exactly how much your uses... a lot of places say to run the machine for a while to flush out any crap in the motor from assembly of the motor.... would not hurt to change it after a quick start up... and usually you have some much stuff to do when you first get it,... but check the oil level first..... it is an oil that if it splilled during shipping.. that the government would call out the troops for an oil spill.. .. I would start it and let it run for a couple of minutes.. then drain it... cleans thinks out.. but use the oil for your area and weather conditions ... heavy in the warm weather and little lighter in cold weather.. sythetics for wet clutches if you want to use it,,, but oil is cheap.. so change often for better preformance and will last longer,,
Great details. 1/2 to 3/4? Wow that dude in the video is waaaay off if that's the case. I believe another dealer (Killer Motorsports if I remember correctly) said even as much as 1.5 quart. I'm really glad you chimed in here. I probably would've dumped too much in before checking. Thanks again for everyone's input. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Not bad for ordering just last Thursday! I'll prob. start another thread when the Rhino has landed

Old 10-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #24

It wont arrive until the shipping company calls you for an appointment to drop it off. It can take some days until they schedule you in. This is where I said screw it and went down to the hub with the pickup to speed the process along.

I had to do the same thing with a replacement engine for my truck... I get impatient.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #25

oil level

when some one changes their ok... can you post what is the amount of oil you use.... on all of my 125 cc taotao stuff that is what I put in... remember to reaf t he oil level as recommend... do not put the dipstick ( screwed into it) just place it on the top to read... the sight glass method is always way over the dipstick way...

Old 10-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #26

Ok gotcha. 125cc vs. 250 (well almost 250), should have a little variation. I'll be sure to watch it closely.

Yeah, Darth they were ready with it yesterday, but it's scheduled today now b/c we had to change my delivery location due to the fact that it's coming UPS full tractor trailer rig. I'll keep you guys posted!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #27

Congrats on the new quad!

Gotta post pics or it never happened.........

Old 10-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #28

I have 3, two 150cc for the sons and a rhino 250cc manual for me, new since last april,,
fine so far, and Ive definitely been in the backwoods trails of NH and survived w normal retightening and ect....
Aside from telling ATV snobs I have a TAO TAO and they go, "What the f&%$K is a TAO TAO" replys coming in constantly, I'm still able to keep up and climb/go thru and the same trails they do.
so there!
Oil, plugs and air filter was all I did so far for mods.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #29

Thanks guys. Hoping someone is out there right now and can give me a tip. Getting it together, fired up the motor. Got it started, but now it won’t start again acting as if the starter switch has no contact but can’t find any contact issues. Battery charged etc.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:14 PM   #30

bolts and other stuff

yes a lot of people say the bolts are garbage and are always coming loose..... my answer is .. go buy some good bolts... locktite them... and they are too lazy to so.. it is not really the poor grade bolts.. it is the person... use the blue locktite and use the self locking nuts. and general maintenance will do.. the best thing out there for the money... good quality chain .. proper oil etc.. premium gas.. and ride ,ride , ride..