Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

Chain VS. Drive shaft?

Looking to add a Chinese Quad to the mix... so the girlfriend has some semblance of chance keeping up.. I noticed there are some models available with chains and some available with drive shafts. Is one better than the other even if its made in China?

What is the life expectancy of a drive shaft as opposed to a chain set up and are drive shafts on china atv's universal enough that one could find a replacement if needed?

Thanks NET

Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
the drive shafts are much stronger, and i've not heard many people say anything about breaking them (unless you did something really bad)

as far as finding replacements, i wouldnt make that a huge factor, those chinese quads will fall apart faster then your driveshift will...

i'd go with the driveshaft version if the price isnt too bad, but i mean chains are always good too, much cheaper and easier to work on...

(i personally would go with a driveshaft model, stronger overall)

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #3

Thanks MD!! There does not seem to be a whole lot of the drive shaft versions out there. Bruce from EJ said beware of Cobra and they are offering a 200cc with a driveshaft for 1049 delivered but it may be undersized. So I wil keep looking.

NET

Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Again, I will say that there are many products represented by many companies out there that will do anything to get your dollar. Any thing including adding a drive shaft to the line for a selling point. You can even find a small 110 atv with a drive shaft and automatic trans., but ain't worth $500.00 judging from the other dealers that I have spoken to about them. Some u-joints are weak and poorly built and when they spread and slip apart, you will have to purchase a whole gearbox with the drive shaft attached to fix it. My personal experience! Why they can't make all joints that is replacable without having to replace all the components is beyond me, unless they like selling as many parts as possible? Maybe? Looks like it is the quickest means to alter the drive train on the assembly line. Again, it is a selling point.

You just have to be carefull with the product you choose and do some research. Bruce and I will do what we can to answer questions.

Chains are good and are easy to adjust and replace. Driveshafts last longer with less maintenence. I prefer the shafts myself. My suggestion to you is to try to find one to look over before committing to a sale. So many different models and they do not all use the same quality. They will make whatever the importer ask from them. The better quality products will cost you a little more, they are not all the same.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Both my quads are chain driven. Far simpler and probably more reliable.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
A lot of it depends on what type of riding you do, lots of mud and water will eat a chain up quick where a drive shaft is sealed, or should be. A driveshaft takes more power from your motor to operate that a chain. With a chain drive you can tweak your gearing for more top end, where a shaft is limited to tire size.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #7

Re: Chain VS. Drive shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandTrails
Looking to add a Chinese Quad to the mix... so the girlfriend has some semblance of chance keeping up.. I noticed there are some models available with chains and some available with drive shafts. Is one better than the other even if its made in China?

What is the life expectancy of a drive shaft as opposed to a chain set up and are drive shafts on china atv's universal enough that one could find a replacement if needed?

Thanks NET
If you do get a 200cc shaft drive the ones that I sell/sold (made by chongquing longtin)often need loc-tite on the bolts that hold the backing plate for the right rear drum on if (or when) they back off, its a pain in the a$$ to move and lots of damage will occour :wink:. good luck have fun