Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Hawk Engine/Transmission Trouble

I was riding my hawk around my block for fun since its still pretty cold up here and didnt plan on going long or far. I let it warm up and took it around the block a few times probably didnt even get it pass 4th gear. I was near home and in 2nd gear and gave it some gas, then all of a sudden, I hear a clanking a clunking.

I looked down and didnt see anything and then i shifted gears down and it went away. I then shifted back to 2nd and it clunked a bunch again... I shifted to 3rd and it went away. I went straight back home and shut the bike off..

What kind of trouble might I be looking at here? Ive never opened up an engine before.. Did one of the gears fail and break and would need replaced? Is the HAWK even worth going this deep into the engine work?.. Thanks...

Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
I was riding my hawk around my block for fun since its still pretty cold up here and didnt plan on going long or far. I let it warm up and took it around the block a few times probably didnt even get it pass 4th gear. I was near home and in 2nd gear and gave it some gas, then all of a sudden, I hear a clanking a clunking.

I looked down and didnt see anything and then i shifted gears down and it went away. I then shifted back to 2nd and it clunked a bunch again... I shifted to 3rd and it went away. I went straight back home and shut the bike off..

What kind of trouble might I be looking at here? Ive never opened up an engine before.. Did one of the gears fail and break and would need replaced? Is the HAWK even worth going this deep into the engine work?.. Thanks...
Well, short of taking the motor apart, all we can do is speculate. If I had to hazard a guess, then I would say that it sounds like second gear took a crap on you. Drain the oil and see if you find any chunks of metal debris coming out with it. If so, then the next best thing to do would be to tear into the engine.

Is it worth doing so? That depends on you. The parts for these engines are not very expensive, A gasket kit is around 10 bucks. The gears can be purchased individually from CSC ala the TT250. The Mainshaft gear for second is $3.95, and the Counter shaft gear is $5.50. So, even if both gears somehow got destroyed, you are talking $20 and some time.

As far as complication goes, you can't get much simpler and easier. There have been a couple other guys who have recently had to tear into their engines with no previous experience and they managed to get it done.

Even in the worst case scenario and you had to buy all new internals for the transmission, maybe $100, if that.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Well, short of taking the motor apart, all we can do is speculate. If I had to hazard a guess, then I would say that it sounds like second gear took a crap on you. Drain the oil and see if you find any chunks of metal debris coming out with it. If so, then the next best thing to do would be to tear into the engine.

Is it worth doing so? That depends on you. The parts for these engines are not very expensive, A gasket kit is around 10 bucks. The gears can be purchased individually from CSC ala the TT250. The Mainshaft gear for second is $3.95, and the Counter shaft gear is $5.50. So, even if both gears somehow got destroyed, you are talking $20 and some time.

As far as complication goes, you can't get much simpler and easier. There have been a couple other guys who have recently had to tear into their engines with no previous experience and they managed to get it done.

Even in the worst case scenario and you had to buy all new internals for the transmission, maybe $100, if that.

Hey thanks. i was hoping thats all it would be. But also I get very worried when it comes to the engine guts. Sounds like it could be a pain in the ass but might be an interesting experience and not too expensive. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

NickThrash,

Not a answer to your problem, but how many miles on the Hawk engine did you have?

Old 04-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideMI View Post
NickThrash,

Not a answer to your problem, but how many miles on the Hawk engine did you have?
Well my gauge says 6000 (kl) but my cable broke mid winter so I MAYBE put another 1000 on it since then. So somewhere around the 7000 (kl) mark.

Last edited by NickThrash; 04-05-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

So around 4000-4500 miles.

If you really need help with the engine then you have a bunch of guys here to help, and many of the processes/steps can be borrowed from the Honda CG125 manual.

Taking lots of pictures really helps, and keeping your hardware separate and organized for each part helps prevent losing key parts.

I can tear down and re-assemble one of these little motors in less than a day, but I am a former bike and automotive mechanic, and I still work on machines, so it's familiar territory for me. Even for somebody like you it is possible to at least take it apart in a day or two. The more meticulous you are in disassembly the much smoother re-assembly will be, so take your time with the pictures and organizing like suggested before.

Your other option would be to pick up a new engine. Definitely going to be more expensive, and then I wouldn't blame you for questioning if it was worth it or not. You have two bolt in options here, get another CG250 - aka 167FMM just like the bike came with, or get your hands on a CB250 - 169FMM engine. The 169FMM is the OHC version of the engine, and would be a little boost in power - 2.5hp ish.

The 167fmm enine can usually be had for around 500-600 bucks while the 169fmm usually ends up around 700.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

These little engines are simple and easy to work on. Lit Hawk just tore his down a few times for the transmission and some other issues. He never worked on one either. But with the manual and help from here he got it done. Now he knows his engine inside and out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

Yes they are very easy to work on. I just tore down my engine twice in less than a month you can read about it in my thread “Hawk locking up”. I’ve never done it before but with help from here really helped. Your only options are get a new engine, pay someone to fix it, or do it yourself. Doing it yourself will be less than $100 and it is easy. I can help you through it if you’d like I have plenty of pictures step by step of dismantling it and what tools you’ll definitely need and where to get replacement parts and manuals. I’d say go for it

Old 04-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Yes they are very easy to work on. I just tore down my engine twice in less than a month you can read about it in my thread “Hawk locking up”. I’ve never done it before but with help from here really helped. Your only options are get a new engine, pay someone to fix it, or do it yourself. Doing it yourself will be less than $100 and it is easy. I can help you through it if you’d like I have plenty of pictures step by step of dismantling it and what tools you’ll definitely need and where to get replacement parts and manuals. I’d say go for it

hey thanks! ill definitely check it out. right now I got it off the bike and am trying to figure out how to open it to at least just take a look and see whats going on.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey thanks. i was hoping thats all it would be. But also I get very worried when it comes to the engine guts. Sounds like it could be a pain in the ass but might be an interesting experience and not too expensive. Thanks.
It is NOT a pain in the ass. It is a learning experience. When you dive in to this, you will learn how really simple an engine is. And all the mysteries of transmissions will be revealed. it will truly be a college level mini-course....ARH

Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #11

Okay so i have gotten this far. I have taken both of the covers on each side off, even though i wasnt sure if i would have needed to or not. But where do i go from here?

I see what looks like to clutch plate, the oil pump gears and the mechanism that is attached to the shift lever that rotates and changes the gears.

How do I go about removing the big plate? this is where I get nervous because there are tons of bolts and screws that I cant tell exactly where they go to. Or which ones are necessary to come off and which ones are not

Will I have to take it all the way down to splitting the engine or would I be able to fix the gears from here if I get the stuff out of the way first?

If i do have to split it where do I start?

Name:  e1.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  94.6 KB

Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
It is NOT a pain in the ass. It is a learning experience. When you dive in to this, you will learn how really simple an engine is. And all the mysteries of transmissions will be revealed. it will truly be a college level mini-course....ARH
I agree, i looked at it with a bit of optimism at first and figured it would be a cool experience I only wish I had a mentor to be here helping lol.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree, i looked at it with a bit of optimism at first and figured it would be a cool experience I only wish I had a mentor to be here helping lol.
Do you have a manual? This will give you a step by step on how and what you need to take off.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Yes, a Honda factory service manual for any model of CG125 will have step by step instructions with pictures.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Do you have a manual? This will give you a step by step on how and what you need to take off.
No i dont. unless you mean the HAWK owners manual. But i never noticed anything like that in there.