Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

RX4 Suspension Tuning

How are you guys setting the shock adjustments? I checked the front shocks and the clickers are at the full (-) position, 0 clicks each. I haven't checked where the rear shock clicker is set to but wondering what a good starting point for both adjusters might be? thanks

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 09-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #2

I tried adjusting the shock, replacing the spring, adjusting the pre-load...all helped a little but the ride was still too harsh. Rick at Cogent built a new shock/spring based on my weight and how I ride. I just finished an 1800 mile ride around NW Wyoming with a fair amount of less than perfect pavement and the new suspension does an amazing job of smoothing out the ride. This upgrade is well worth the investment.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I just finished an 1800 mile ride around NW Wyoming with a fair amount of less than perfect pavement and the new suspension does an amazing job of smoothing out the ride. This upgrade is well worth the investment.
I follow your posts in the Facebook group Peter. Looking forward to seeing some photos from that trip. I'm assuming you hauled your motorcycle part way there as Virginia is further away than 1,800 miles. Good to hear you are out there using the motorcycle for what it was made for.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” -Harlan Ellison-

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”
― Ronald Reagan-

Old 09-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Just saw the pictures you shared in the group on Facebook. The bike is looking good, and it sounds like you had a great time.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” -Harlan Ellison-

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”
― Ronald Reagan-

Old 02-20-2022, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I tried adjusting the shock, replacing the spring, adjusting the pre-load...all helped a little but the ride was still too harsh. Rick at Cogent built a new shock/spring based on my weight and how I ride. I just finished an 1800 mile ride around NW Wyoming with a fair amount of less than perfect pavement and the new suspension does an amazing job of smoothing out the ride. This upgrade is well worth the investment.
Just wondering what settings you finally came up with on the RX4 ???
my bike is so hard in the rear that it is killing me ! no flex in the rear suspension at all you mentioned a custom made spring ? what's that about ???
Bob......

Old 03-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #6

Bob, the solution was a totally new shock/spring combo. I could not adjust the OEM shock enough for my satisfaction. Others don't seem to be bothered by the stiffness, maybe I'm picky when it comes to suspension. I had already tried swapping the spring, which helped a bit.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:44 PM   #7

thanks for the info... but "Rick at Cogent built a new one for me " doesn't help too much LOL....
what exactly is Cogent ? their entire name would help
and what did you get exactly... can I ask for the same thing ?
how much do you weigh ? I weigh 185 lbs and am SHORT ! (30" inseam)
if we are close to the same weight I could get the same thing you got for my RX4
thanks for the help I really appreciate it... the bike beats me to death in 30 minutes on these roads around here... super hard rear suspension !
.....I gott'a do something about that ! I'm 68yrs old and I don't like being beat up when I ride ANY MORE !!! hahahahha

Old 03-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #8

Hi Bob, I guess I was a bit cryptic....only because Cogent Dynamics has come up many times on some other RX4 Forums. Here's a link to their shop:
https://www.motocd.com/

They built the shock and spring to work with my weight (195#) and type of riding. I stressed that I am more interested in compliant suspension than Baja bashing. Due to the limited travel of the shock (because of the linkage used) I imagine they had to tinker a bit so the suspension worked smoothly over both highway and potholes. The end result was a huge improvement. I have a 31" inseam and the shock compresses a bit when I sit on the bike. I cannot flatfoot at a stop. Oh, part of that problem is due to the Russel Day Long saddle adding a bit of height to the seating position.

Call Cogent, mention my name and that you have a RX4. At one point we talked about possibly re-working the OEM shock. I'm not sure if that ever got off the ground. Best of luck.
Peter Y.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #9

AHHH ! thank you Peter !
that I can do something with !
.....i'll give them a email and see what they say...
thank you very much.
Bob......

Old 03-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #10

Well, I contacted them... and among other stuff this is what they said....
" The Cogent replacement shock for the CSC RX4 is $813.95 with a spring. "
not only is that plane OUTRAGIOUS ! but totally undoable for me ! WOW...
so I will look for a weaker spring I found a 200lb spring that I think will work for $38.00
so I may try that once I pull it off and double check the diameter and length
thanks for the help !
Bob......

Old 03-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #11

$800 for custom shock/spring is actually in line with industry norms. Take a look at Ohlins shocks, for example. I tried the spring swap route. As I recall, I was using something in the 600# range....maybe #650 or so. The spring Cogent used is 514 lb/in (per their invoice). A 200# spring is going to be entirely too weak but it's so inexpensive you can try it just for grins. Maybe I'm wrong.

Looking at my notes I see that the OEM spring is 248mm long and 80mm wide. The OEM shock has a travel of about 50mm.

I got my replacement springs from Hyperco. Here's a link to their catalog: https://www.hypercoils.com/hyperco-catalog/. The springs I tried were in the 187AO series I think I was using a 187AO 650. As I recall, I had to make an adaptor because the spring was so much shorter than the OEM one. With that in mind you might be better off with one of the 188AO series because they are 1" taller or even the 189AO series (9" length).

You will get pretty good at swapping out the shock on your RX4. After the second or third time it's just a 30 minute job, including time for coffee or a beer.

Peter Y.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #12

Thank you for that info Peter ! that's very helpful..... yes sounds like I under guessed
at the spring weight LOL.... no wonder it's so stiff riding ! I'm thinking 500lbs should do the trick !
....I usually carry quite a bit of stuff with me probably 30 lbs. or so plus what ever the rain gear weighs...but I don't stack on stuff till I can't see the bike anymore ! LOL
I call my bike "Miss Piggy" because she is so heavy.... and I carry a winch pole with me I made up to get it back up off the ground should I drop it..... I picked it up once already and buddy that was all I could do to get it back on it's wheels....so I made a collapsible pole to winch it up with a ratcheting strap. it's not fast but it will work.
.... I also lowered the bike 2" in the front and 2" in the rear so I can flat foot it
at a stop...... A MUST in my book.
Bob....

Old 05-09-2022, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
How are you guys setting the shock adjustments? I checked the front shocks and the clickers are at the full (-) position, 0 clicks each. I haven't checked where the rear shock clicker is set to but wondering what a good starting point for both adjusters might be? thanks
I kind'a took your thread off to the side here.... to answer your question specifically.... I set the front as the fastest reaction setting on both forks and the same with the rear.... to give the softest ride.... I'm fairly certain that is the way to get the softest ride with these things...LOL
I believe that is all the way to the left on both the front and rear adjusters.
they were set fairly tight.
..... the very first time I set on my bike it did not give even a little no sag at all.... like setting on a park bench...
after a 5 mile first run I let air out of the tires down to 28 psi and that helped some.....
but now with 120miles on it I want to get the air pressure back up to the recommended pressure... so I am in the process of finding a rear spring for the rear suspension so far I've tried a 537lb spring and there is no change so next I will try a 400lb spring....
I'm waiting for Matt Wiley to get back on wednesday to answer my email.
and see if he has one.... I may have to go to a 2.5" I.D. spring if so I'll have to fabricate some retainers for it....the stock spring is 2" I.D.
Bob.......

Old 05-10-2022, 08:28 AM   #14

Bob, I have three springs in my pile of 'stuff i used once and might need again'. I think two were from the RX4 experiments and one from the RX3. At any rate, I'll offer them for free if you pay the shipping. Not sure what the ratings are, most likely 500+.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #15

wow.... I'd Appreciate that ALOT !!!!
how would I go about paying shipping to you Pete ?
Yes I want them if I can get them !
.... My email address is kellydadieo@gmail.com drop me an email and we'll go from there Please...
Bob........