Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #1

West Virginia taxes and stuff

I get my bike in May. I bought from powersportsmax, do I have to pay west virginia taxes as well? sorry if this has been asked, search is mean to me. thanks.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:14 PM   #2

not 100% sure on WV rules, but if like everywhere else, you'd have to pay the taxes to get the title and registration work done.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #3

yep

Old 03-31-2023, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I get my bike in May. I bought from powersportsmax, do I have to pay west virginia taxes as well? sorry if this has been asked, search is mean to me. thanks.
PSM does not charge tax. Only shipping. You pay sales tax in your state based on the amount shown on your BOS (bill of sale). This amount varies (vehicle sales tax), and in some states, it is ZERO!

PSM will provide BOS amd MCO.

This is from WV DMV website:
"Fees required to title a new vehicle include a $15 title fee, 6% titling sales tax on vehicles with a net purchase price over $500 or $30​ on vehicles with a net purchase price under $500, $10 lien fee (if applicable), and the registration fee and/or registration transfer fee."

You will probably need that BOS, and the MCO (certificate of origin) with "motorcycle" in the type of vehicle field, proof of insurance (Geico insures them if others give you crap), and you might need proof that you've paid your personal property tax in your County (commonly required in many States). All of that, and a checkbook should be enough to get you a title application filed, and walk out with plates.in MO, there is a $10 license plate fee as well.

They might ask for a valid drivers license for identification purposes, but in MO they don't care if you have motorcycle endorsement to get the title application filed.

There will probably be a late registration fee. Most States require registration within 30 days of purchase.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-01-2023 at 12:52 AM.