Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Lifan 140 cam chain roller

Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Lifan 140 cam chain roller? I've been told that they're all the same for 50cc to 150cc, (45mm diameter) but I'd like to be sure before I take the head off.

Wonder if I can remove the roller from the cam sprocket access cover without removing the head?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #2

I don't have experience with the 140. Please let us know what you find out. Pics would be great.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

The answer is yes the Lifan 140 uses the same size roller as all the other Lifan horizontal engines, which is the same size as the Honda roller. The Lifan roller is made of hard plastic where the Honda roller is made of rubber.

The roller can be installed through the cam sprocket cover without pulling the head. It's an easy enough job but a bit fiddly getting the roller lined up so the center pin bolt can inserted.

The reason I replaced it is when I had the engine apart last year I noticed the center rib of the stock roller was rough. Probably doesn't matter but I rely on this bike to get me in and out of very remote areas so reliability is very important.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #4

What do you use it for? Is it work-related?

Got pics?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

Not work related, I just like to explore remote areas.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Now that is custom.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Is it a CT frame with XR200 tank and forks?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

The frame, rear wheel, swing arm are 1968 Trail 90. Front end and gas tank are XR100. Seat is Sportster, engine Lifan 140, pitbike muffler, etc.. The bike is light enough that I can drag it under fences, lift it over logs, and compared to my bigger bikes it doesn't hurt as much when I crash.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #9

That's a terrific use of parts. Where did you get the 140?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

The 140 came from DRATV.com. I've also purchased Lifan engines from hooperimports.com.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #11

The more I look at your bike, the more I appreciate it.

Is it kick only?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #12

Yes, kick start only. I built the bike to be simple, reliable, and low maintenance so there is no battery. There is no ignition switch, just a kill button, no light switch, they come on when the engine is running. One of the problems with the original Trail 90s is they won't run without a battery, a tiny 6 volt that is prone to failing every year or two.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

Was the XR100 front end a bolt-on deal, or did you have to mess with bearing sizes?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #14

Bearing size was the same but the XR100 stem was too short by about an inch. I cut the XR stem in the middle and welded a longer top section to it that was cut from the original CT stem. Steering stops were in the correct location so no changes were needed there. It all works great but one consideration is the lack of a speedometer drive since the XR is a dirt bike. A magnetic pickup bicycle speedometer takes care of that problem.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

Keeping the two steering stems straight while welding would be a challenge.

An XL adapter would solve the speedometer problem, if you wanted a mechanical speedometer.