Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #31

Thanks for the welcome and replies. I sort of like the idea of a CVT even though I have never ridden a scooter. Initially I was leery of the CT90/110 semi auto trans but after using it I liked it better than dual sports with manual clutches so I probably would like a CVT even more if it can handle hills. From the videos you posted it looks like CVTs could handle anything the trails I have ridden can hand out. I need more speed than the CTs only for paved roads they were fine on the trails but could only get to maybe 50mph going down hill on paved roads. A review of a big ruckus clone on ADV indicated 59mph (I think) on a brand new not broken in motor and the big ruckus clone has the same motor and a lot more weight than yours or the small ruckus 150 clone I was thinking about. Another option I have is to put a Lifan 150 on a CT but that will have a manual clutch and I thinking I want to try a CVT.

Have you had your Zuma clone on the road much, any idea of top speed on flat road? The seat height I saw for yours was 33" and the ground clearance was I think less than the ruckus clone -which is also lighter at about 200# like the CTs, I found that to be a great low weight where 300# dual sport was too heavy - especially to pick up off of your leg on a steep rocky narrow trail next to a 50' drop off, trust me on that one.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Have you had your Zuma clone on the road much, any idea of top speed on flat road? The seat height I saw for yours was 33" and the ground clearance was I think less than the ruckus clone -which is also lighter at about 200# like the CTs, I found that to be a great low weight where 300# dual sport was too heavy - especially to pick up off of your leg on a steep rocky narrow trail next to a 50' drop off, trust me on that one.
Not sure what the top speed is yet, might be a bit before I attempt that, I am a new rider. I can say it gets to 40-45 pretty quick and I have no doubt it will go much faster. I have read that the stock Chinese 150cc scooters generally like to cruise in the 45-50MPH range. With some tweaking they will like to cruise in the 50-55MPH range. Stock top speed is usually around 60MPH. Of course that depends on rider and conditions, but I believe those are solid numbers and not made up numbers. I am 6'1" and weigh 140 and it feels pretty solid off the line.

Here is another video of a Ruckus off road. Again these are only 50cc. Looks like they do alright.

The CVT transmission can be tweaked to perform better for your driving styles. There are different weights, variators, sheaves, contra springs that can be easily changed to adjust performance.

Video of a CVT in action.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #33

That video is really cool! I know how CVT's work, but I've never taken the cover off and ran one like that to visualize it. Thanks for the vid.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #34

real offroad ruckus

Great video. If that is a 50cc then a 150 should handle about anything. The CVT doubters must be basing their concerns more theoretical than having actual experience, at least from what can be seen on the videos you found.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #35

My 150cc CVT ATV carried me and Son of Weldangrind, while towing a jr. dragster with a driver in it, about 1/2 mile. We did that several times over a weekend. The little quad never complained.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #36

More BWS/Zumas being used off road.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
My 150cc CVT ATV carried me and Son of Weldangrind, while towing a jr. dragster with a driver in it, about 1/2 mile. We did that several times over a weekend. The little quad never complained.
Weld, is your quad a GY-6 engine? I never realized that most (I believe all)of the small displacement ATV's from TaoTao are GY-6 based engines, and I am quite sure all the competitors similar quads (Coolster, etc) are GY-6. I think that is why they run so well (at least the engines--everything else falls apart--just kidding).

I just figured out the wiring for a Baodiao 50cc scooter that I ordered from Excalibur that will be raffled off for a local Yuma girl's home for abused girls, and will have it started and running by Saturday. The fit and finish is better than I thought it would be being the lowest-priced scooter, so once I throw some gas in it, get it running for a few minutes, drain the vegetable oil that comes in the bike (someone mentioned that it is thick, so it is actually advisable to run the engine for a couple of minutes to heat it up so it drains easier), fill with its run-in oil, I will ride around the block a few times.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #38

[QUOTE=ghcoe;172109]More BWS/Zumas being used off road.

That's pretty cool! A good friend of mine (and forum member Atomic Wedgie) has a 50cc BWS that he's setting up for a road course (not dirt). So far, it has a 70cc kit, performance CVT mods and a Leo Vince exhaust. His is the early French model. It's starting to look really cool, and he'll do well with it, due to his slim shape. He also has considerable sport bike racing experience, so he's a natural.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Weld, is your quad a GY-6 engine? I never realized that most (I believe all)of the small displacement ATV's from TaoTao are GY-6 based engines, and I am quite sure all the competitors similar quads (Coolster, etc) are GY-6. I think that is why they run so well (at least the engines--everything else falls apart--just kidding).
The 150 is a GY6 and the 200 is a CG pushrod.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #40

Just turned 100 miles and did another oil change. Looks much better than the first. Still a little dust. I think most is flushing and some break in. Running great. I do think that the speedometer is off some. Have not been able to confirm that yet though.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #41

First tank fill up that I was able to track. Took 1.166 gallons and went 91 miles. That shows 78.04 MPG. Not bad, right on par with what they say these things should get. That is a lot of in town driving with some 45mph + driving for good measure. I also think I got the tank a little bit fuller too so it could be a bit better. Not to mention that it probably is not broke all the way in yet.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #42

I agree, although the roller bearings that are used on the crankshaft tend to have higher friction than babbit bearings, so you can reduce drag with different oil. Since you don't have a wet clutch, you can use 10W30 (or even 5W30 in cooler weather) synthetic. That might improve both mileage and power over 15W40 that most of us run.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #43

71 MPG this time. I went on a trip that was about half 50+mph. Pulled a lot of grade and had a head wind too. So, I am not too disappointed.

I was able to cruise in the 50-55 range and still had quite a bit of throttle left, enough to comfortably climb the slight hills I was climbing and fight the head wind without loosing speed. If I "gunned it" I could feel the engine pull, but it would tapper off pretty quick, so I am pretty sure I was right on the threshold of max power and did not want to push it above that. The extra throttle worked well for the climbing and wind, but not for more speed. That is the best way I can describe it.

I am looking to eventually change out the variator to a 115mm and hope to be able to cruise in the 55-60 range. That would be awesome.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcoe View Post
pretty sure I was right on the threshold of max power
Consider monitoring cylinder head temperature with a spark plug sensor . . example.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Consider monitoring cylinder head temperature with a spark plug sensor . . example.
Looks like good info for sure. Thanks! I also have a new CDI and coil coming so this could help bring things together.