Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2022, 01:46 AM   #16

I just confirmed that the Templar 250 is the same bike as the Trailmaster TM35 but with turn signals and a tail light. Everything else matches up. So Zumav makes Trailmaster.

Old 12-18-2022, 11:33 PM   #17

PSM sent me 4 turn signals to replace the one broken in shipping. Unfortunately they don't match the OEM signals, illuminate a different pattern and are so dim I wouldn't use them for fear of being hit while turning. They are so dim that I doubt they would be visible to other drivers during daylight hours.

I finished installing the body panels and nothing lines up properly or fits correctly. Bent frame? Not sure. With the ill fitting front side panels in place the seat doesn't fit right. I also found a bolt missing from the rear subframe extension but no hole in the plastic rear fender for a bolt to go through, Probably why they left it out during assembly.

The headlight worked for about 5 minutes before cutting out. It comes on again if tapped but goes out again immediately. I checked the wiring for a loose connection but the problem is confined to the LED bulb assembly.

The pressure switch for the front brake appears to have failed. It worked before but now I get no brake light from it and the rear brake does activate the brake light.

I don't think the child who installed the graphics on my Templar had breakfast the day my bike was thrown together. Air bubbles and wrinkles everywhere.

There is a loop on the frame just behind the head tube for the wiring harness and cables to pass through. They ran the clutch cable through but nothing else. I redid the wiring harness to pass through it but left the throttle and choke cables as-is for now.

All in all I am impressed by how much motorcycle I got for the price but very disappointed in the assembly, quality and shipping damage.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #18

I hate to hear that Freddy. You can get the signal lights on Amazon very cheap. And they are sequential too. Send them a video clip of the front brake not activating the brake light. Surely they will replace that. And show them how the panels won’t line up. They’re probably swamped right now because of Christmas. But stay on them. Good luck!
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 12-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
I hate to hear that Freddy. You can get the signal lights on Amazon very cheap. And they are sequential too. Send them a video clip of the front brake not activating the brake light. Surely they will replace that. And show them how the panels won’t line up. They’re probably swamped right now because of Christmas. But stay on them. Good luck!
Thanks, I saw some cheap signals on Amazon that might work. The ones PSM sent are flowing or sequential but very dim. At least with Amazon I can return them if they aren't bright enough.

I suppose I'm just getting frustrated by fixing one problem only to find two more. That and it's too cold to ride or even work on it. :(

Old 12-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #20

“I wanted to buy a bike, not problems.”

Old 12-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #21

GOOD turn signals to replace Templar turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Thanks, I saw some cheap signals on Amazon that might work. The ones PSM sent are flowing or sequential but very dim.
:(
Freddie,
These are under $20 (ebay). I installed them on the back of my 2022 1/2 Temp X
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373082601293

Sequential lighting points in the direction of the turn. Nice. And they plug right in.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...8&postcount=29

It is post 29 in my thread in pics and videos section. The battery I got is also shown in that post. It has much more cranking amps, and just barely fits in the battery cradle. Perfect fit.

BTW- Zora directed me to these when I tore the rubber mount on the original left rear turn signal. I only installed the rear set (easier), so I still have two of them uninstalled.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #22

Quote:
PSM sent me 4 turn signals to replace the one broken in shipping. Unfortunately they don't match the OEM signals, illuminate a different pattern and are so dim I wouldn't use them for fear of being hit while turning. They are so dim that I doubt they would be visible to other drivers during daylight hours.

I finished installing the body panels and nothing lines up properly or fits correctly. Bent frame? Not sure. With the ill fitting front side panels in place the seat doesn't fit right. I also found a bolt missing from the rear subframe extension but no hole in the plastic rear fender for a bolt to go through, Probably why they left it out during assembly.

The headlight worked for about 5 minutes before cutting out. It comes on again if tapped but goes out again immediately. I checked the wiring for a loose connection but the problem is confined to the LED bulb assembly.

The pressure switch for the front brake appears to have failed. It worked before but now I get no brake light from it and the rear brake does activate the brake light.

I don't think the child who installed the graphics on my Templar had breakfast the day my bike was thrown together. Air bubbles and wrinkles everywhere.

There is a loop on the frame just behind the head tube for the wiring harness and cables to pass through. They ran the clutch cable through but nothing else. I redid the wiring harness to pass through it but left the throttle and choke cables as-is for now.

All in all I am impressed by how much motorcycle I got for the price but very disappointed in the assembly, quality and shipping damage.
I would suspect the reason for sending 4 was that they knew they would not match and were providing a whole set that does.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I would suspect the reason for sending 4 was that they knew they would not match and were providing a whole set that does.
I think they just come in a pack of 4

I think I still have the original right rear blinker. Should match up. The sequential blinkers are nice though. Freddie should just upgrade...

Old 12-19-2022, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I think they just come in a pack of 4

I think I still have the original right rear blinker. Should match up. The sequential blinkers are nice though. Freddie should just upgrade...
makes sense

Old 12-20-2022, 01:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Freddie,
These are under $20 (ebay). I installed them on the back of my 2022 1/2 Temp X
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373082601293

Sequential lighting points in the direction of the turn. Nice. And they plug right in.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...8&postcount=29

It is post 29 in my thread in pics and videos section. The battery I got is also shown in that post. It has much more cranking amps, and just barely fits in the battery cradle. Perfect fit.

BTW- Zora directed me to these when I tore the rubber mount on the original left rear turn signal. I only installed the rear set (easier), so I still have two of them uninstalled.
Thanks Thumper! The signals PSM sent me look identical to the ones on eBay. If you look at the photo where they show the sequential lighting pattern in 4 stages, mine only do steps 1 & 2. I thought I might have a bad one so I tested all 4 and they all light up the same. I'm wondering if I just need a a different flasher relay. These are much nicer than OEM if they worked right. I determined that my headlight wiring and base are okay, just a bad LED bulb. Unfortunately it's unlike any automotive headlamp bulb I've ever seen.

Anyway, I have the bike in many pieces ATM. I had to remove the rear subframe to get the airbox out so I could remove the carb to rejet. While I'm at it I've been re-routing much of the cables and wiring.

How do I remove the white plastic clip that holds the needle in the slide? Push the needle up? needle nose pliers? How many washers do you recommend? One or two? IIRC the best main jet is 125 and 42 pilot? I really don't want to rejet again any time soon!

Thanks again

Old 12-20-2022, 01:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Yeah, I was very happy to see that they sent a set of 4 but I can't use them. They're far too dim to actually use. They're even nicer than the oem since they have nice rubber stalks vs plastic for oem.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:15 AM   #27

Take a look at post #!9 in my thread called
2022 Templar X 250 build quality and assembly
in the pics and video section
(https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31046)

I had 45 pilot jet but switched to 42. It was too rich. 125 seems right for the main below 1500 feet above sea level. I am at about 800 feet.

one small washer is enough for the shim (~1mm).

Old 12-21-2022, 12:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Take a look at post #!9 in my thread called
2022 Templar X 250 build quality and assembly
in the pics and video section
(https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31046)

I had 45 pilot jet but switched to 42. It was too rich. 125 seems right for the main below 1500 feet above sea level. I am at about 800 feet.

one small washer is enough for the shim (~1mm).
Thanks, your thread was the tipping point for me right before I ordered my Templar. I forgot to bookmark it, now corrected. I'm at 300' ASL but will ride up to 2000'ASL mostly. It might be possible to get the carb out without removing the rear frame but it sure made things much easier.

Any thoughts on why my new turn signals don't work correctly? I'm not sure whether to order new signals or try a new flasher relay first. I have no experience with sequential LED lighting. TIA

BTW, I apologize for the lack of photos. I'll correct that soon.

EDIT: I believe I have found a solution for my turn signals. I'll post my results later.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 12-21-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #29

Quote:
EDIT: I believe I have found a solution for my turn signals. I'll post my results later.
I see. As you can see on my short video, the sequential flasher on the ones I bought go through the entire sequence with the OEM flasher unit. Maybe the ones you got need more time. I hope the replacement flasher has a setting that works.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:33 AM   #30

Quote:
I see. As you can see on my short video, the sequential flasher on the ones I bought go through the entire sequence with the OEM flasher unit. Maybe the ones you got need more time. I hope the replacement flasher has a setting that works.
I'm cautiously optimistic about the new flasher relay. I really think they sent me the same signals you got from eBay. FWIW the headlamp bulb is an H6 and the oem unit appears well suited to a reflector housing.

How many turns out do you suggest for the idle mixture screw? When I drilled the cap the bit hit the screw and may have turned it. IIRC the typical setting is 1.5 turns out but what are you running?