Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else

Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #1

Taiwan SYM GY6 150 questions

Hello all, new to the forum. I just ordered a BMS Sand Sniper 150 for my daughter, the buggy is advertised as having a "Taiwan SYM GY6 Honda clone engine". In doing my research, it seems the SYM engine is a good quality unit but I'm finding some info and forum comments that the SYM engine is different enough that many of the common GY6 clone parts won't fit. For example, after my daughter gets some experience in the new buggy, I plan to upgrade some of the common stuff like carb and/or jetting, air filter, CDI & coil, and CVT stuff.... pretty much the same simple upgrades everyone eventually does. These upgrades and the availability of parts (and the costs) are the main reasons I chose the GY6 platform. I just want to make sure all of these common upgrade parts will fit the SYM engine just as they would most Chinese clone 150's. Thanks for any help!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

Flase ad... GY6 NEVER known as Honda's product officially...
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....8&postcount=29 (Taiwan specified air-cooled that based on JF03E design ie. something btw JF03E & JF04E) 1st appears in 光陽豪邁125 ...

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #3

The ad doesn't claim the engine is made by Honda, the ad claims the engine is a Honda CLONE (as most GY6's are) and made by SYM in Taiwan.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRed View Post
the ad claims the engine is a Honda CLONE (as most GY6's are) and made by SYM in Taiwan.
Honda never recognize GY6 officially *125cc* http://translate.google.com/translat...torclub%261206 (Taiwanese often laugh GY6 is the last present from Honda, the later 4v , Higer c/r... that made by them prove much lower longevity...) . Why called H... CLONE when bored out to 150 (Honda pulled out from Kymco / SYM at that time)???
Back to the story. If it's a REAL SYM (1 of the authorized in old days) of this design, pretty solid... ceramic cylinder is their main selling point...

Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. But what I need to know is whether or not this SYM engine has all the same aftermarket parts availability and fit as most other Chinese GY6 engines.